Of Bikes and Watches....

JRK5892 said:
is there anything you do not know.. man so impressive! love having someone like you on here!

HAHAHAH!! Yeah there's a shit-ton (that I don't know), trust me man. Chronic insomnia simply allows for lots of research time.....heh.

chimbo said:
all i really want to know if what speddo/tach that is? i really want a 2in1 that does'nt have any led or digital; very hard.

Sorry for not replying sooner -- been away on business. It's a 1966 Honda CB77 SuperHawk (the 'early' version with the opposing needles).

Here's a recent acquisition - a 1950's Mardon chronograph with a 17j Landeron movement. Not a high-end watch, but a very good one nonetheless.

Sweet thread. I have a thing for Seiko watches. Below is one I got from my father. It's a 70's Seiko Bellmatic 4006-6040. It's automatic but has a little bell in it for an alarm. I have no idea what happened to the bracelet, but I got a new crystal for it and have been searching high and low to get a bracelet. As you can see it doesn't take a typical watchband. I'm just going to get another one off e-bay and use the parts, as this one has lots of sentimental value and has sailed around the world.

IMGP0996.jpg

IMGP0998.jpg

Not quite as cool as Vinces but ;D
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380174691955&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_6890wt_1208

Zonda said:
Not quite as cool as Vinces but ;D
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380174691955&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_6890wt_1208

The mount is interesting, but I have that exact Westclox watch, and it's what they call a 'dollar' watch -- meaning, that's what it cost when it was new.
Cheap, non-jeweled movement...they're basically disposable watches. Don't know that I'd pay that much money just for the mount, when the watch today is only worth about $20.00 (providing it works!).

I've been eyeballing vintage military watches (WWI and WWII era). Although with the prices they command I haven't put too much research into it. This site is great for window shopping.

It's amazing how many interests a lot of us share. I got interested in watches after being asked to photograph some pocket watches my co-worker had. I was amazed at the beauty of the inner workings of some of these. Here are some pictures I took.
20090706_0791.jpg

20090706_0794.jpg

20090706_0781.jpg

20090706_0754.jpg

This guy went to pawn shops constantly, and picked most of them up for ~$50. He'd then sell them on eBay for $200 - $500. One that I shot (I don't remember which one) he sold for $2000. I think he paid $75 for that one. I've looked a little myself, but I haven't found anything yet.

midnightcafe said:
Vince, your controls are gorgeous. where's your build thread?

If you look under 'Show and Shine', then look for 'Japan Meets Britain', you'll see the whole sorry mess.

Hot Rod Troy said:
I found a reproduction of these ant they ran about $400.00 +/- a $ or 2. I wanted one too until I found out how much it would be.

Is this it?
http://www.powersedge.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/0/63110/895/default.aspx

Thought I'd give this thread a bump start....

Just picked this one up last week. Interesting that it has a wood face!

The winding crown isn't right in this photo, but it's since been replaced with the proper sapphire crown.

Cartier1.jpg

rkatapt said:
So how are you guys mounting these? Especially the pocketwatches.

My pocket watch is mounted with a special handlebar mount that was specifically designed for a size 16 pocket watch (approx 2" in diameter). It came from PJ Speedos in the UK, but I don't know if they're still around any more. They are listed as being in Surrey, so maybe contact them to see if they still sell them (when I bought mine, they were on the Isle of Man). If you look closely at earlier posts, you get an idea of what it looks like.

Ok, now I feel bad. I used to love wrist watches. My favorite was a tank watch that, although it wasn't an actual Cartier, was a pretty classic-looking time piece. Now, though, it seems I've given up wearing them altogether since I got an iPod Touch. Somehow, I just don't think it would look quite as elegant perched on the drag bars.

Hmmmmm... I wonder if there's an app for that?

rkatapt said:
I've scoured the internet looking for one of these said mounts without any luck. I think I will construct my own. Do you have more photographs of the actual mount underneath the watch?

I don't have any shots offhand, but I can certainly do a couple for you. It's basically a round 'cup' that has sponge padding, and four spring steel 'arms' that hold the watch in place. The cup is attached to a split-clamp that attaches to the handlebars.

As I say, it was made/offered by PJ Speedos about 5 years ago, and though there is a PJ Speedos in Surrey, UK, I don't know if it's the same outfit. You could try contacting them to see.

The other thing I thought I should mention is that if you're planning on using a vintage (mechanical) watch, plan on replacing it every so often. Those mechanical movement watches with their delicate balance wheels can't really put up with all the vibrations and road bumps. However, having said that, my Ingersoll Triumph has lasted for over a year without too much trouble. Best thing would be to get yourself a quartz movement watch that wouldn't be affected by the vibration, etc. Wenger makes one that's pretty close to a 16 size (approx. 2" diameter).

rkatapt said:
Thanks,

I found their contact info and sent them an email. The website doesn't appear to be online.

P.J. Speedos (UK) Repair & Exchange of Smiths speedos and instruments
291 Worplesdon Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 9XN
Tel/Fax: 01483 232006 Mobile: 07974 983169 Email: info@pjspeedos.co.uk

Did you ever hear back from them?

Back
Top Bottom