Another GR650 Build

cootees

So I got this bike a little over a year ago with the intent to ride it for a while then build it. I did enjoy riding her for the past year until a few weeks ago I was heading down the road and I had a stream of oil spraying out of my cranckase ventilation all over my back tire. Which of course caused me to lay the bike over at a low speed. I just finished tearing apart the top end and rebuilding it and all seems to be good now except that I have developed a hole in my tank from the lay over. So there is no better time than now to start a build.

Here is the what I am starting with.

DSCN0625_zps5bygkh5g.jpg

This is an inspiration pic of what I am going for.
gr06_zpsv1wr0nki.jpg

I believe this is a gs500 seat and a gs550 tank. The idea behind this build is quick and simple so that I can get back on the bike as it is prime riding season. I purchased a gs650 front end for twin disc only to read later on that Rich stated the wheel will not be centered so.. I'm not sure if I will be using that or not.

Welcome.

I too am building a tempter though its been put on the backburner til im done with my wifes xs400.

Im excited to see your progress.

Well, I have been collecting parts and it was time to get chopping so I managed to get a little bit of work done today.

IMG_20150724_182146311_HDR1_zps6rqibzwl.jpg

IMG_20150724_1839449741_zps9typx8h0.jpg

Here is my options.. I can put the seat tilted up high.
IMG_20150724_1844448991_zpspfmtzqxn.jpg

Or I can put it down lower.
IMG_20150724_1935072081_zpsgdyglaua.jpg

IMG_20150724_193531852_HDR1_zpswu4t2zzh.jpg

I just ordered a tubing bender this past week and am waiting on it to come in so I can really get to work. Also I have been thinking about doing a 2 to 1 exhaust setup on here but I am having trouble finding collectors.

r.s.hutchinson said:
Info on the dual disc setup?
GS650 forks, rotors and calipers. Stock wheel(at least the gr650x model does) already has the tapped holes to accommodate another rotor. Going to need to make up some wheel spacers and spacers for the calipers.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Been waiting on this guy to come in so I can really get some things in motion. Its a pro tools MB-105HD with a swag offroad air/hydraulic conversion. I finally got all the pieces in and powdercoated the swag brackets.

IMG_20150815_190359181_zpsn8nraivz.jpg

Gave it a test run this morning and it is working beautifully.

IMG_20150822_150637712_zpsavfoludd.jpg

Test piece mocked up for the tail section and it is going to work perfect there.

IMG_20150822_150800634_HDR_zpszhtlizvg.jpg

IMG_20150822_150846245_zps77t2j6tq.jpg

Looking cool man. Awesome start. Which company did you get the tube bender from and how many different die radius's came with it? Such a good idea if you're remaking entire tail sections/subframes like you. Now you've got me jealous and on the lookout for one!

Cool bike! Not many available in the USA. I sat on one a while back and found the seat foam to be too much like a marshmallow and I wasn't keen on the smallish single front disk. But the unique 650 twin engine was intriguing. I've seen a couple of these re-done on AdvRider; here's one for inspiration:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/gr650-a-couple-years-in-the-making.908522/

Edit: I believe this thread is by the same BigRich that posts on here:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=61015.0

cootees said:
Also I have been thinking about doing a 2 to 1 exhaust setup on here but I am having trouble finding collectors.

I have been in touch with these guys in the past and they were super nice and helpful. I see they have a whole .pdf catalogue of collectors including 2-1 collectors. Might wanna hit them up :)

http://www.coneeng.com/collectors.html

Just dealt with Cone Engineering myself. Took about a week for them to get tubing from CA to PA, and that's my only complaint.... which isn't all that bad anyway.

I found this tube coping calculator online and it was really useful, so thought I'd share:

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

Good work so far Cootees! Want to see where you go with this....

I will look into coneeng. Made some progress this weekend.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1441060990196.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1441060990196.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 292
A few questions. What options do I have for lowering the front forks. As you can see I pulled the forks through the triples but I would rather buy shorter springs if available or can I cut the fork springs?

Rich, thanks for the link. That came in handy today. I was going to order a notcher but I kept putting it off. Luckily I have only had 4 notches so far so the link was very helpful.

After sitting on the bike.. the superbike bars feel way to high so clipons and rearsets are on the list. Which brings me to my next question. The cheap ebay clipons. Do I need to stay away from them or do they get the job done?

Well I got the frame done for the most part. Still need to add some bracing between the rails. There are some things I would do differently but for my first tube bending project, I am happy so far.

IMG_20150907_114333631_zpsnond88ps.jpg

IMG_20150907_161539899_zps3sgyf109.jpg

IMG_20150907_161848475_zpsrawfkbil.jpg

There are ways to shorten forks, I can't say how to do it on those GR / GS forks though. I can say you don'twant to cut the springs down though - that changes the spring rate.

Ebay clipons aren't that bad, but you might want to swap out the Allenhead bolts that come with them.

The frame looks good to me. Any plans on carrying a passenger? I'd be concerned about that much weight outside of the upright support.

Big Rich said:
There are ways to shorten forks, I can't say how to do it on those GR / GS forks though. I can say you don'twant to cut the springs down though - that changes the spring rate.

Ebay clipons aren't that bad, but you might want to swap out the Allenhead bolts that come with them.

The frame looks good to me. Any plans on carrying a passenger? I'd be concerned about that much weight outside of the upright support.
No plans on carrying passengers. It's stout though. I can nearly pick up the bike from the back with some help. So it may happen but it will probably be a rare circumstance.

Haven't gotten a lot more done. I got the clipons mounted, new speedomoter and headlight are on the way.

I did get my plane of bend bracket in from trophy girl designs and got it welded up today. This will come in handy for my next bending project.

I had my buddy come over this morning. He is going to be painting my tank for me and I couldn't decide between bare metal or a translucent black. I've got a translucent black powder so I had an idea what it could look like so we mixed a little bit of black in with the clear and sprayed a 10 minute tank i had lying around. It came out just like I hoped. This is probably the color we will go with.

Back
Top Bottom