1921 ajs 350 start

joea

Coast to Coast
DTT BOTM WINNER
Picture698.jpg

1921 ajs 350 single...bought as a non running project and i have been fabricating engine and chassis parts on and off for the last several years and decided it was time to start the assembly..joe@ vcycle

Going to be cool to watch this come together. Lots of photos please!

Picture713.jpg

OUT OF THE GATE....bearings are too small(ordered 100 on ebay sunday) and nut engagement insufficient...so ground lower race thickness with my tool post grinder(modified crafstman grinder),then took max amount off top fork clamp and nut which had a 1/16" unthreaded lead in area....

Picture745.jpg

below axle is the old bearing set up above new set up minus bearing that already is installed in hub.
unable to find taper bearings to use so i had to go the route of using radial load ball bearings with bushings between axle and bearing i.d. and then made spacers up to set bearings and hub.....

Picture724.jpg

fabricated upper and lower pivot axles and installed 7/16x20 chrome acorn nuts.
also needed to make up handle bar and seat wedge locks along with damper washers that were made from micarta ............joe

after finishing all the spacers for the front wheel and installing it all i found it wobbled due to some one riviting it together without any thought.
so now i have to back up and remove the paint, rivets and see what is wrong..........ahhhh- i think this bike is going to be a real pain the ass.
joe@ v cycle

Picture869.jpg

after having to search for missing parts due to a move i did several years ago and having to make a few spacers i finally have some visual progress....
joe

Picture874.jpg

had to make new main bearing (al/ni/bronze) and cut a center case gasket.

Picture877-1.jpg

well made some progress even though i had to back track on the front hub and a few other items...bad thing about this type of project is there are no parts for this so there is a lot of fabricating and making do with an alternative part .......since not many people will know what is correct anyhow! joe

Picture878.jpg

well got both toolboxes mounted and then upsized rear stand threads to 1/2x20 and rebushed pivots, mounted and ck'd all..............ok.
time to break and work on something else until i get the energy and time to polish the engine and gearbox outer cases....
joe@ vcycle

too bad it does not have the double chain and peddles system as it may make a good down hill mountain bike too! ha ha joe @ vcycle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynh-D1FEDy8

Picture890.jpg

polished both engine and gearbox cases...the crankshaft was rebuilt a few years ago with a new outer main bearing race due to corrosion. fortunately at the time i was still at the airlines and i had the machine shop fabricate the bearing race for me....
then built up and trued ...ready for assembly if i can figure out and find all the hardware and parts...ha

Back
Top Bottom