MY Yamaha LS3 1972 restoration .... I do need lots of help though :(

stevearama

Bought 1972 Yamaha LS3 from ebay. I'm not sure why. Really I did heaps of motocross when I was younger and I really loved my '88 CR 125. I'm not very experienced mechanically, so I figured a small displacement two stroke was simple enough for me to restore.

I live in Sydney Australia if it's important.

The bike is registered, and runs okay. I've bought plenty of new parts, that are slowly arriving form partzilla and CMSNL. I need help with a few things though. I'm hopeful you guys will reply with some tips.

Firstly. The muffler was full of oil and carbon. I pulled the muffler off and washed out the oil with solvent, but how do I get the carbon out? .. I know with steal pipes I could just burn it off, but this muffler is chrome, and I didn't want t ruin it.

Secondly, gee it's difficult to repack the thing? ... there isn't any rivets or whatever to pop, and while I've got the silencer (baffle think) out, the circumference of the hole it goes back into is quite similar to the baffle... how do i solidly repack the muffler without needing to cut a hole in the thing? Should i use the matt type material around the silencer, or the kind of shredded paper looking stuff (it had the shredded paper looking stuff when I pulled it apart).

The other exhaust option is to buy a new one. I can't find the LS3 exhaust (new) anywhere online. However I can find the '75 RS100 muffler at CMSNL. This muffler uses the same stay to attach it to the frame, and uses the same nut to attach it to the exhaust pipe. But it isn't identical. It seems to be perhaps 1 inch longer between the front attachment bolt and the thread at the front end of the muffler. I wonder whether or not it would be suitable?

Thirdly ... the engine runs really terribly at low RPM under load (so second gear going up a hill). It is perfect at idle, and perfect at high RPM, but horrible down low. There are no gaskets in the exhaust, and so I don't think it's sealed very well and might be letting in plenty of air. Could this be part of the reason? .. if so I should probably fix that before moving on to the carb? .. So yeah, I'm in need of some tuning tips. I have already pulled the carb apart and cleaned it. I put it back together identically to what it was before. As for the tuning, I'm more than happy to take it somewhere to get it tuned, but I kind of wanted to fix a few things first so that the mechanic has a reasonable place to start.

Attachments

• steves bike.jpg
    steves bike.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 9,017
Hey Stevearama,

That's a pretty tidy looking bike you've got there!
Oven cleaner works OK to get out carbon, Not as well as burning it though... Just make sure you wash it all out after ;D ::)
You could probably scrape a fair bit out just with a long bar or similar as well.

If you were going to go as far as buying a new pipe you could always burn out your old one and then get it re-chromed? Maybe?

What do you mean exactly when you say runs terribly? Could be any number of things but my first guesses would be
1. dirty pilot jet (doesn't take much to get in there)
2. Some kind of air boot leak (between the carby and filter)
3. fuel ratio out of whack? maybe the oil pump is on the fritz?
4. Points adjustment...

I could go on and on

Best bet would be to give the carb another clean first and chuck in a new sparkplug if you haven't already then see where you're at.

Hope that was helpful :)

Oh and well I remember does your bike have a VIN plate?? Mine doesn't and I'm wondering if it came that way?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom