72 Suzuki Buffalo; Project Buffalo Bill(d)

That works. What part number is that or what bikes are the intakes off? They look different to this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-NOS-GSX1150ES-GS1100ES-GS1150ES-Carb-Intake-Gasket-13121-00A00-S36-/390551848028?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aeeb4445c&vxp=mtr

Not sure on the part number, the one they list isn't the same as the one you listed. They do look the same however.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412047785.772898.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412047785.772898.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 491
Since I have some spares, or at lease one (depending on if I want to have them all at an angle or just the one. I'm going to try shaving it a little and seeing if I can't flatten out the angle a little.

At that price they are hard to beat as long as they are soft enough. May as well try them.

BMV issued the title for it today, so i can officially start the project knowing its not a complete waste. Not usually an issue to get a title for one without existing title in Indiana, but every now and then it just goes south.

Great start. Did you see the guy on Sundial with a pile of K model parts? He may have some of the bits you need.

teazer said:
Great start. Did you see the guy on Sundial with a pile of K model parts? He may have some of the bits you need.

I did not, thanks for the heads up. Just sent him a PM over there

Started breaking into this hell daemon over the weekend. Three exhaust bolts broke off into the head.. So that's going have to get taken care of. Soaking the head studs currently in some PB blaster, going to try to break them out tonight. Will likely take the head to a machine shop and have them get the broken studs out. History shows I'll only break easy outs off inside and make things really bad.

Really want to get this back together before the Thaw this year, we'll see how time and funds pan out.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420481327.654716.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420481327.654716.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 631
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420481344.124244.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420481344.124244.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 759
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420481353.579773.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420481353.579773.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 763
After soaking the bolts in PB Blaster for 4 days, I decided to try and get the head off. All 6 bolts that attach the head to the cylinders snapped. Two in the middle snapped up too, 4 on the sides snapped down at the cylinder. The studs themselves came out but they were a huuuuge pain in the ass and all took a breaker bar to get loose.

The head is suck as shit. Cannot get it loose. Even once I do I'm concerned about getting the cylinders off.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420729091.726402.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420729091.726402.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 505
Yay old bikes! Not, that sucks Jordan, can you fill a tub with Kerosene and Auto trans fluid and just let it soak in there for 2-3 days?

A little late now but are you applying any heat. I would have took two heat guns and aimed one each front and back of the cylinder block. Do a couple cycles of heat up and cool down.

This would still probably help you with getting the head and cylinders off.

Maritime said:
Yay old bikes! Not, that sucks Jordan, can you fill a tub with Kerosene and Auto trans fluid and just let it soak in there for 2-3 days?

I have been told Kerosene or diesel. Is it safe to throw the entire motor in a tub of diesel? Seems like that could be bad for other internal parts? Maybe not. Just get the electronics off first. My other issue is storage. I need to leave it outside so I don't stink up the garage (and subsequently the house). Its in the negatives outside so diesel would just freeze out there.

Powderfinger said:
A little late now but are you applying any heat. I would have took two heat guns and aimed one each front and back of the cylinder block. Do a couple cycles of heat up and cool down.

This would still probably help you with getting the head and cylinders off.

I put heat on all the bolts via blow torch (pipe torch), never on the cylinders themselves. This helped with the studs, but those little bolts didn't stand a chance.

Okay, what you really want to heat is the aluminum around the bolt so the aluminum will expand and break the bond between it and the steel bolt/stud. I would do like I said with two heat guns and after you get it hot spray PB blaster down the bolt holes. Then let it cool down and repeat.

I'm assuming the engine spins but then you might try this. Put a piece of rope a few inches down a spark plug hole and gently turn the motor over and the piston will push the rope against the head, then back off put rope in the next piston coming up, then the third. Keep going back and forth and it should nudge the head off.

Then we can figure out a way to get the cylinders off:)

Alright, getting this off was a huuuuuuuuuuge pain in the ass. However it's off. I got two of the three broken studs out, the last one broke off at the jugs also... So I have two open threads and 6 broken studs...

If I could get two more studs out I bed I could make a puller plate and get it off. Think it's at all worth trying an easy out? I'm betting it would just break off.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421028874.743465.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421028874.743465.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 876
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421028886.564983.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421028886.564983.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 895
DO NOT use the easy out, it will just make everything worse, however if there is enough stud poking up there are sockets with teeth for stripped nuts that may work for you, I have a set and they have extracted nasty bolt. After a really good soaking of PB blaster and heat, cool heat etc. They grab the outside edges and can;t break off in he stud leaving you the ability to still have a machine shop drill it out for you if you can't get it.

Maritime said:
DO NOT use the easy out, it will just make everything worse, however if there is enough stud poking up there are sockets with teeth for stripped nuts that may work for you, I have a set and they have extracted nasty bolt. After a really good soaking of PB blaster and heat, cool heat etc. They grab the outside edges and can;t break off in he stud leaving you the ability to still have a machine shop drill it out for you if you can't get it.

There is only 1 that has anything above the surface of the head, and I dont think it is enough to get anything on. The rest are flush. My other option is to find some washers with a smaller opening, then tack them to bolt. Then tack a nut to the top of the washer and hope that holds. Honestly I dont think it will but thats about my only other option.

This all sucks because the jugs look really good, pistons look good, it would be a simple rebuild if these fucking bolts just wouldn't break all the time.

Carefully drill each one out, start small, go up in bit sizes until almost the size of the stud, then an easy out may get them out without breaking off inside, if you have a drill press it will make your life easier, but patience is key. I always rush and break shit. I however have a buddy who is very patient and I give him this type of thing and it comes back fixed LOL. I ask how he does it and the answer is what I just typed.

Maritime said:
Carefully drill each one out, start small, go up in bit sizes until almost the size of the stud, then an easy out may get them out without breaking off inside, if you have a drill press it will make your life easier, but patience is key. I always rush and break shit. I however have a buddy who is very patient and I give him this type of thing and it comes back fixed LOL. I ask how he does it and the answer is what I just typed.

I have a drill press, but it would be impossible to get the entire motor up on the press lined up. I'm sure I would fuck up something like that doing it with a hand drill.

I have done ok with a hand drill as long as you get a center punch on the stud to keep the bit from walking and use good sharp bits and take it slow. But I have also broke drill bits off inside and focking it up.

Are there any specific places meant to pry the cylinder off the case or is it meant to just be whacked with a mallet to remove?

Back
Top Bottom