CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)

Re: 1975 CB360-Starting over

teazer said:
PJ, I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, many CB350 racers remove 1 of the two primary gears and one of the two clutch gears to reduce weight.

So I'm guessing that it would be OK to grind off half the width of the teeth

Possibly, but unlike 350, you wouldn't have a spare set of gears when they wear out.

I thought about it and decided I would rather have a little extra strength as it will probably get some major abuse when its finally finished.
I bought a spare clutch off eBay so my try removing maybe 1/4~1/3 of gear and a few other things I've been thinking about

Re: 1975 CB360-Starting over

Been a really frustrating 2 weeks, totally unable to use left hand because it was bandaged up ( I really didn't want to get it dirty either)
Couldn't move much and didn't feel too good first 4 days because of meds

Had stitches out of elbow and thumb this afternoon.
Thumb still almost immobile, about 30 degrees of movement
I still don't know when I can work on stuff but I'm allowed to go back to work tomorrow on 'light duties' (max lift with left hand, 2lbs, no repetitive motions??)
Good job I'm right handed

Re: Starting over-1975 CB360

congrats. i think we are all excited with this news. now we get to keep geeking out on your skills

Heck ya, Congrats!

Hope you get your body back to 100%. Do they have you going in for physical therapy?

Finally.
Got signed Bill of Sale today.
Will try again to register on Monday.
Will be working on bike a lot over next few weeks if things go smooth Monday

Had physical therapy twice last week and I'm going again a couple of times next week.
Awful lot of scar tissue at base of thumb, very limited movement..
Elbow still hurts, particularly if I try and push anything. (even light, less than 40lbs)
Lifting isn't too bad but that pulls the joint instead of compressing it
Haven't tried riding yet, don't think it will be a good idea at present as it will put pressure on elbow.

Started working on 360 again, did a tiny bit on seat (needed to bash some metal with a hammer :D)
Did a bit of work on Katana forks, dismantled for new seals, polishing and lowering. 8)
Using PVC pipe as I have couple of pieces sitting in garage from when we bought house.
1" bore, schedule 40 (didn't know they made schedule 40 PVC :eek:)
It's more than double the thickness of 'genuine' (Kawasaki) spacer (3.8mm vs 1.8mm)
Forkspacerthickness.jpg

Forks stripped down, they are real easy to lower because they have a spring spacer (steel tube on left side between spring and slider) cutting a stock spring to lower forks make spring stiffer (less working coils)
KatanaForkdismantled.jpg

Spacer installed on damper rod, I shortened it to 1.895" (about 48mm)
Katanaforkloweringspacerinplace.jpg

Here's picture of spring spacer (fits on top of spring) and damper rod spacer, with original for comparison (the number is wrong, forgot to put the 95 on end) Original is 200mm long, forgot to put tape measure in there for scale ::)
Katanaforkspringspacerandloweringspacer.jpg

Re: CB360-Starting over

Happy Time ;D
Decided to title it as 'Antique', cool blue tag.
Title should arrive in my name in about a week
Now I can get started all over again :D

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better PJ. ALso, great to hear you got your title woes worked out!

Congrats on the ability to ride again. And also on the mostly trouble free ride. All good news.

Re: CB360- Buddug

Well, spoke a bit too soon :(
Went out again Sunday afternoon, around 12 miles elbow started hurting.
Luckily I was in a loop near where I live so got home in ~3 miles
Anyway, got a bit more done of fork lowers, thought I hit them up with 120 grit flapwheel but it was 80 grit I grabbed ::)
Got one done with 240 grit and the other 2/3 done (thought it was taking a long time to get scratches out :D)
getting done with 320 next then 400, 600 and polish
You can see scratches in lower leg, they were pretty bad before I started, this is the improvement ;)
Katforks120-240.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to use GS500 front mudguard, I have 2 so I cut one down
Before
GS500mudguard1.jpg

After (but before trimming to final shape, smoothing out curve and sanding edges)
GS500mudguard2.jpg

Probably won't get much done this week, doctors and Physical therapy for 4 days :eek:

Glad to hear you are on 2 wheels again (however shortly). I like the fender! Good work PJ.

Suppose you tried tried telling the docs that you have bikes to build? No time for therapy! :D

Re: CB360-Buddug

Well, after appointment with surgeon I now have a 35lbs weight limit. (instead of 2lbs)
Got one fork slider finished and shiny, will get the other done tomorrow (I have to go to work soon)
ShinyKatanafork.jpg

Here's both done
Katforks-supershiny.jpg

Should have forks re-assembled tomorrow night or Sunday morning.
Was going to buy headlamp mounts but decided to make some as I have an idea to try out.

Re: CB360- No Evil

Got a piece of 1/2" aluminium plate to make headlight mounts, will be machining this weekend.

Rode bike to work yesterday, still has high bars and 35yr old tyres (with 35yr old air in them ;D)
Really stupid thing to do but it was fun, first time I've been any real distance for over a year (still only 40 mile round trip) 8)

Couple of people wanted to see bike before I started work on it. (as it's back to more or less stock)
Seemed like a good idea, until I realised I don't finish until 11.30 pm at earliest
Made a short video, leaving work, coming home, playing in traffic after midnight.
It's 209mb (6 minutes)
I haven't uploaded it to photobucket yet, may not bother as it isn't 'exciting'

Huzzah! That's good news PJ! I'm glad to hear you have it 'on the road'....even with the terrifying tires. I won't ping on your for that......hehe
Are you planning to go for the hopped up version again?

I'll have a go, don't know how to edit it to reasonable size though?
Downloaded free editingprog but don't know how to use it
Meanwhile, this is exactly how it looks with exhaust cleaned up a bit (no airboxes or pods with stock battery box) Jetting is slightly rich with the carb mods I've done, they are very close for a less restrictive exhaust.
CB360Nov2010-1.jpg

SUV pulled out on me on I-4, speedo was showing 70mph but it was a lot closer to 55~60mph.
Then he/she/it hit the brakes :eek:
I got a 'bit close'( but didn't hit it 8) )
Unfortunately I didn't have camera running (would have been 'interesting')
Who said early Honda brakes are crap?
Rotor did get a bit 'warm' and turn blue where pads are touching (new pads not fully bedded in yet)
CB360Nov2010-3.jpg

Swagger said:
Huzzah! That's good news PJ! I'm glad to hear you have it 'on the road'....even with the terrifying tires. I won't ping on your for that......hehe
Are you planning to go for the hopped up version again?

Hell yeah.
I have the motor from (page 6?) 99% done, (haven't had time to finish external oil line and polish a few bits)
Forks are 99% done, handlebar clamps not cleaned/polished yet.
Going to make headlamp 'ears' over the weekend and try to get bar clamps done.
Front mudguard is now ' Apple Red' but I'm really not happy with finish so it's getting done over

Front tyre is a Continental, even at 30+ yrs old it's softer than a Dunlop D404 :eek:
It doesn't have any cracking (damn, they made good tyres back then ;D)
The rear is a Bridgestone, worried me a bit but it has been up to 90mph+ on dyno with 300lbs 'rider'
Still pretty undecided about posting video, I did get it to load to photobucket.
If screen brightness is high/stock LCD, it don't look too bad ::)
May need more than one opinion
Pulled video, was too long and boring

Back
Top Bottom