Re: 72' Suzuki GT380 (She Lives!!!)

JoeTee

I can't stop going once I've started, it stings...
Hi everyone,
My name is Joe and im from Orlando Fl. I am also new to the forum, I bought a 72 Suzuki GT380 awhile back and finally have the time to tear it down and build a cafe. I'm always looking for advice so please feel free. Enjoy!

Starting condition.
myBike-1.jpg

myBike3-1.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo15.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo18.jpg

photo33.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo22.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo.jpg

photo20.jpg

Re: 72' Suzuki GT380 first time build.

Welcome! Nice to have another two-stroke Suzuki build going on. Keep up the good work. ;D

Thanks Wings,
It all came apart real easy, we'll see about the goin back together part. Not much to them so hopefully wont be bad.

Anyone know if I need the riveted info plate on the front of the frame, or can I remove it? The vin is also stamped on the frame, is that good enough? Im in Fl not sure if it matters. Its a real pain trying to sand around it and when I paint the plate will still look old. Thx

JoeTee said:
Anyone know if I need the riveted info plate on the front of the frame, or can I remove it? The vin is also stamped on the frame, is that good enough? Im in Fl not sure if it matters. Its a real pain trying to sand around it and when I paint the plate will still look old. Thx

There's probably some law on the books that says you can't remove it and I'd bet money if you ask your local DMV they'll say the same. The real question is how much hassle will you get if you don't have it? My T500 just has a sticker that will certainly not survive the blasting and powdercoating process. I'm not worried about it though because the VIN is still stamped in the frame and I already have the bike titled and registered in my name.

why bother risking it? if it is not titled yet do that, no good having a sweet cafe, that you can only ride on private property.
if you have to move it i would suggest maybe even taking a few photos first and then carefully dremel off the rivets that hold it on, and keep that bad boy till you are done with the whole frame and simply tack weld it back on.
two strokes are shmoove.

rjz5400 said:
why bother risking it? if it is not titled yet do that, no good having a sweet cafe, that you can only ride on private property.
if you have to move it i would suggest maybe even taking a few photos first and then carefully dremel off the rivets that hold it on, and keep that bad boy till you are done with the whole frame and simply tack weld it back on.
two strokes are shmoove.

Good call, sounds like a good idea to just reinstall it after im all "done". Yeah, 2 strokes kick ass. :D

"Light weight baaaaaby!" - Ronnie C.

photo36.jpg

photo35.jpg

photo34.jpg

Found alittle time today to try my hand at making knee dents. Was nervous at first but then just started hammering away. I used a rubber mallet. Any tips on how to define the edge of the dent? Anyhow check it out. Also a pic of my mini-me.

photo37.jpg

photo38.jpg

photo39.jpg

photo40.jpg

photo40.jpg

photo42.jpg

Right side of the tank already had a dent, but not in the ideal area so I had to make the dents go alittle farther than I originally wanted to, either way not to bad for a start.

Pretty cool man. I dig the dents. If you want a sharp defining line you can build them up with body filler and sand/shape them to your liking.

probably going to be the route I take, I didnt know if bondo on a tank was a no no. For the color I had a ton of paint scheme ideas before I sanded down the bike, but not that I have to make a decision I can make up my mind... :-\ lol. Im thinking blue paint scheme tank and bronze/gold frame.

First time at aluminum polishing. I cleaned the surface with a wire wheel on my grinder, then used tripoli polishing compound and about an hour of buffing. Sorry about the cell phone camera pics. Picture does not do any justice. Any tips on polishing small Aluminum pieces? They heat up so fast that I cannot keep it on the wheel long enough to buff it. Prob about 20 seconds then its waaaay to hot to touch. I held it with a rag but felt like I was just over heating the aluminum. Tips..? Thanks

photo43.jpg

Also got some primer on the frame.

photo44.jpg

photo45.jpg

photo47.jpg

photo46.jpg

photo48.jpg

I used rustoleum "rusty metal" primer. Frame didnt have much rust on it only a few pitted areas. Wanted to get some body filler on the tank but ran outta time.

photo49.jpg

photo50.jpg

photo51.jpg

thats not polished. you simply have too many nicks man. you need to take that down with some 300 grit, then 420, then 600, then 1000 if your starting with tripoli. if you start with emory, then 600 is enough.

heres one of my sidecovers halfway through polishing. the black stuff is rouge... see how the surface is smooth?

IMG_1292.jpg

JoeTee said:
First time at aluminum polishing. I cleaned the surface with a wire wheel on my grinder, then used tripoli polishing compound and about an hour of buffing. Sorry about the cell phone camera pics. Picture does not do any justice. Any tips on polishing small Aluminum pieces? They heat up so fast that I cannot keep it on the wheel long enough to buff it. Prob about 20 seconds then its waaaay to hot to touch. I held it with a rag but felt like I was just over heating the aluminum. Tips..? Thanks

I wear leather gloves when I'm on the wheel. Saves fingers

Rocan, yeah your cover looks real smooth. I just used a fine wire wheel then started polishing, guess it shows lol. Anyhow really appreciate the tips! Leather gloves - check.

Anyone know how to take apart the rear shocks on my bike? I searched the forum cant find anything but honda how to's lol.

Thanks,
Joe

That's cool you've got your son (I'm assuming) working with you. I'm looking for the right bike for a father/son/son and daughter winter project. Looks like you've got a good one. Nice hammer work, too.

harrpics said:
That's cool you've got your son (I'm assuming) working with you. I'm looking for the right bike for a father/son/son and daughter winter project. Looks like you've got a good one. Nice hammer work, too.

Yeah thats my little boy, he wanted to help with the angle grinder but had enough after about 30 seconds lol. I appreciate the kind words.

Joe

A few shots of the dent refinement. Still have a ways to go but its a start.

photo57.jpg

photo56.jpg

I really like your project. My first cafe build was a 1974- same bike with a disk front brake. Little tip- If you take the pivot bolt holes out to the larger diameter, a Yamaha Radian box-section swingarm will slot right in. Lengthen's the wheelbase an inch and makes the handling more stable. Also, Boyer Brandsden makes electronic ignitions that will fit these bikes. Should you be interested.

Back
Top Bottom