Luugo's SL175 Winter Ho-Down

Hey Fellas,
I been lax on keeping this baby up to date, for that I apologize. Ive been real busy back at school, studying to get all of my Master Welding Certifications as well as a CNC certification and underwater welding.. And when I do get some time in the shop, I throw some tunes, on, pour a glass of Rye and just go to town hah... I have taken a bunch of photos that I will get up on here, hopefully tonight.
The one main question I have at the moment before I go back out to the shop is this: I picked up a very nice set of scrambler pipes from a salvage warehouse this weekend. The guy that owns the place told me that they were CL175 pipes... When I got home I kind of just mocked them up real fast with one of the cylinder heads I took off my SL175 project bikes just to get an idea of fit and MUCH to my disappointment they did not seem to just fall into place.. The spacing between the header flanges seem like it is a bit to narrow for the exhaust ports on the SL175 head.... So I have come to several possible conclusions: A.) the SL175 and CL175 have a different cylinder head, which I did not anticipate and which seems a bit strange to me.. or B.) The pipe that I purchases is actually made for a CL160... Which would piss me the fuck off hah..
So if any of the Jedi Masters out there have any input as to how I can resolve this conundrum I would be greatly appreciated... Any methods of being able to figure out what engine my pipe goes to, like header inside diameter, header flange spacing, anything... and if it is a pipe for a CL175, and is not compatible on a SL175 head, would a cylinder head swap on my SL engine solve the problem/be viable.
Thanks a lot in advance guys... Any help will be greatly appreciated... And as promised I will try my best to get all the progress photos and descriptions up here by the end of the night... thanks fellas- Cheers!

=Luugo

Also, as a Public Service Announcement: This is how you properly execute taking a dump whilst residing in a bombed out village in the middle of sand-fuck Iraq.. That is all. ;D

Attachments

• 252579_192115680835807_6761523_n.jpg
    252579_192115680835807_6761523_n.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 820
What year CL exhaust did you get? 1973 CL's came square off the head, instead of the outward angle that you have.

The angle on the CL exhaust flanges is not straight across they are angled inward to match the outward angling of the exhaust ports on the head. I'm leaving the welding shop now, when I get home I will take some photos, maybe that will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deviant, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist my Iraq fun times photo

Here are some photos of the exhaust mentioned and it sitting near the exhaust ports for the head... just doesnt look to line up to me.. if anyone can clear this up for me that would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2562.JPG
    IMG_2562.JPG
    820.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2563.JPG
    IMG_2563.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2564.JPG
    IMG_2564.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 321
Also, I found this electrical outlet in my shop, the breaker box has it labelled as "Welding" Ive never seen this type of outlet, anyone know anything about it or what its capable of? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 322
I think those are the right pipes. I suspect that someone sat on them or they were on their side under a pile of stuff for a while that caused the left pipe to be pushed in slightly

Thanks teaser. Deviant, is that socket used for higher amp welding machines?

Most stick welders are going to be in the 40amp input range and MIG in the 30s. So yeah, it's for a 230v welder. Unless they come with that NEMA configuration, you may have to change the plug on the wall.

If I swapped out that outlet face with a normal three prong outlet would it be able to handle it?

Normal as in 110 with a ground or old style 3 prong for a dryer or stove?

Not something to mess with unless you know exactly what your doing.

That's why I'm asking. I want to put a conventional outlet plate on there that is compatible with my welder leads. I'm trying to figure out how to go about that, if there is a certain piece to get

Luugo86 said:
That's why I'm asking. I want to put a conventional outlet plate on there that is compatible with my welder leads. I'm trying to figure out how to go about that, if there is a certain piece to get

Does your welder already have a plug on it? If not, then get the right NEMA plug to match the outlet. Otherwise, get the right NEMA outlet to match the plug. The type of plug/outlet is printed on the face. But as I said, I'm pretty sure it's NEMA 6-50R. Your welder should have it's amp rating printed on it, so make sure the breaker feeding the outlet is proper. Typically, it should be 80% of max load. In other words, if you have 60amp breaker the max load is 48 amps.

It's probably the right exhaust. You're going to need to loosen the bracket under the front shield binding the two pipes together to get them to spread apart a little to get the headers installed to the head. I was a little confused the first time I picked a set up, then realized you have to have everything loose to install to get it to fit right. I also shaved the fins a bit on the exhaust flanges to make the system easier to install.

I'm working on a little side project snd decided to take the throttle apart for cleaning (I had just salvaged it) and then didn't get back to it for 2 days. And I feel like I'm staring at a tunics cube lol. The picture is of each side of the throttle housing, the right one is the top. My problem is I can't figure out for the life of me how the odd shaped bracket bottom left of photo fits in or what it's function is. Pls help lol

Would help if I uploaded the photo, wouldnt let me do it on the phone so I had to come inside to the computer... any help on where these pieces go and how this thing fits back together will be great lol... I honestly cannot remember from when I took it apart to clean it a few nights ago. :-\

Attachments

• IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 293
Back
Top Bottom