CB350 Built by a teen (Weld Now, Grind Later)

Rocan

"Long after I rest, my steel will live on"
Hey all, I started this project about two weeks ago, was posting it over at caferacer.net but im getting sick of the attitude a lot of the guys over there have, so i decided to continue posting here.

Some info- 1972 Honda CB350, 5300 orignal miles, was in practically new condition when i got it for 800 bucks... yes- it was a steal. As for myself, I'm 15 (now 16)...(now 17, fuck i have to hurry this project up) (OH CHRIST IM 18!):D years old and I am building this bike into a cafe racer so that i can ride something with a bit of style when i turn 16 and get my permit.

On to the pics!

Day One

Plans: Well, ill just mention my plans for the entire project since all i did on day one is stare at this beauty, who i named Clara. Im planning on CB750 forks and triple trees, lowered in the front, Works or Ohlins suspension in the rear, bubble rear, Tarozzi Rearsets, Mikuni Vm30's, Megacycle cam (not to wild, this bike needs to be streetable), clip ons, K&N air filters, Disk front wheel (or maybe dual disks if i can get my hands on CB750F forks), Aluminum tank and many other things. Paint scheme is in mind, but ill let you all wait for pics ;)

Things to keep in mind: Suspension is pretty soft, compression is low, throttle cable is getting stuck.

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

More Pics on my photobucket: http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww317/Transane/CB350%20Day%201/

Re: CB350 Built by a teen

pics dont work and i havent posted any before so I cant really help ya. There is a sticky explaining how somewhere though.

Sounds like you know your stuff, welcome man!

Day Two

Plans: Get as much as i can off the bike; Begin tear down ;D ;D

Things to keep in mind: Nothing really, The tank is a pain to remove because of the tube that connects one side to the other that runs under the frame, making removal a bit of annoying if you still have gas in the tank.

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

Heh... So far I've been making do with one box of tools and a radio....

IMG_2803.jpg

Soon im gonna just blow 200 bucks on a good craftsman set. I'm sick of digging around for metric sizes

gribbs said:
pics dont work and i havent posted any before so I cant really help ya. There is a sticky explaining how somewhere though.

Sounds like you know your stuff, welcome man!

My bad, wasn't paying attention when i copied the links.

Pics are fixed ;)

Wait dont do that, Craftsman is good but but $200 bucks gets alot of parts. Also all you have to do is buy the $11 organizer tray organize you sockets and become organized/responsible put them back. No diss meant I'm messy myself, but I am trying what I preach. After you organize buy loose sockets at yard sales and such. Money better spent on parts nice parts many many nice parts. Nice bike you got there.

I've seen your thread over at caferacer.net. There's a huge difference in attitude there.

Looking to see what you cook with this beat!

Just checked out the thread on Cafe Racer. If you didnt state that you were a teen, they wouldnt think that they knew more than you. Its good what you are doing, you are learning how everything works and is put together by removing it. its your bike you can do it what ever danm way you please, thats the fun in it.
Good luck to you dude!

What's your state? I had my MC license at 14, but it was limited to a 250cc. Spent two years beating the hell out of a 250 Rebel. It would vibrate your soul past 65 mph. ;D

I thought most states as motorcycle provisions for people under 16. Could be wrong.

Welcome to the site, and it looks like as fun build.

My one comment would be to build the seat so you have the option of riding two up. You are going to be 16 with a motorcycle. You need room for a "bird" on the back. Single seats are for old men past their prime... despite what they might tell you ;D

msimm43 said:
Welcome to the site, and it looks like as fun build.

My one comment would be to build the seat so you have the option of riding two up. You are going to be 16 with a motorcycle. You need room for a "bird" on the back. Single seats are for old men past their prime... despite what they might tell you ;D

Who you callin' old and past their prime!??!?! You can fit a girl on your bike with a solo seat - just gotta be a bit creative :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone... thank god the attitude here is nicer.

Im in New York, minimum age is 16.

I have loads of ratchets, but all in imperial sizes. I was thinking about building a seat thats two up- i think i may just build two seats for the heck of it.

Will post day 3 later on in the week.

crazypj said:
Uh, no, thats not the reason.
The industry and sport needs young enthusiasts to keep it going
Several professional motorcycle techs dispense free advice which is both correct and safe.
Its up to you if you take advice.
No one at Cafe Racer has a problem with someone not knowing answer
Giving out completely wrong opinions as fact, that is the problem.
Ratchets only come in imperial sizes, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1.5"

The sockets that fit onto them have matching imperial square drive.
The other end is the nut size
BTW, Rokon, I took your advice to F*** O** and came here

PJ

Am i missing something here? Leave the BS where it came from and leave the young fella alone.

It must be nice to be your age and give a 15 year old a hard time.

Take it outside - feel free to rant in another thread, but lets leave this project thread unpolluted.

Who you callin' old and past their prime!??!?! You can fit a girl on your bike with a solo seat - just gotta be a bit creative Smiley

Please note that this is exactly what I meant by "despite what they might tell you" LOL

Looking forward to seeing how the build turns out.

crazypj said:
Uh, no, thats not the reason.
The industry and sport needs young enthusiasts to keep it going
Several professional motorcycle techs dispense free advice which is both correct and safe.
Its up to you if you take advice.
No one at Cafe Racer has a problem with someone not knowing answer
Giving out completely wrong opinions as fact, that is the problem.
Ratchets only come in imperial sizes, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1.5"

The sockets that fit onto them have matching imperial square drive.
The other end is the nut size
BTW, Rokon, I took your advice to F*** O** and came here

PJ

Sigh... what is wrong with this world? :-[ :-[

Tim said:
Take it outside - feel free to rant in another thread, but lets leave this project thread unpolluted.

Yeah guys, you're behaving like Tamils.

Hey hey enough of this stuff ??? ???
How's the bike going?
Just a tip on buying tools, know your brands, there is a big difference between KingCraft and Bonny, search the local yard sales and Crags list, also ask the members here as some of us have access to some pretty good deals or just have some old gear lying around. Remember old is often better when it comes to tools.

The 350 is the ideal choice for a first time Cafe as there are lots of good parts around and a multitude of performance parts to.

On your seat have a look at making a two-up seat with a cowl to cover the rear that can be removed quickly here's a forum topic on one for a CBR1000F (http://www.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89696&highlight=seat+cowl) and (http://www.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90174) with a bit of foam the end result will give you the best of both worlds, simply unclip and slip into your backpack and "she's" on the back coming home/going out/going to her place, oh to be young and free again. ::) ::)

Just a note on the name brand stuff for your bike, 8) it's good and proven but can be bloody expensive have a look around and you will often find the same style for cheeper.
Remember to ask!!!! ;) as some of us have old parts from distant projects and we just need a prompter to make us remember that we still have them! ;D
AND LOTS OF PHOTOS ;D ;D ;D

Rod from OZ 8)

Zonda said:
Hey hey enough of this stuff ??? ???
How's the bike going?
Just a tip on buying tools, know your brands, there is a big difference between KingCraft and Bonny, search the local yard sales and Crags list, also ask the members here as some of us have access to some pretty good deals or just have some old gear lying around. Remember old is often better when it comes to tools.

The 350 is the ideal choice for a first time Cafe as there are lots of good parts around and a multitude of performance parts to.

On your seat have a look at making a two-up seat with a cowl to cover the rear that can be removed quickly here's a forum topic on one for a CBR1000F (http://www.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89696&highlight=seat+cowl) and (http://www.cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90174) with a bit of foam the end result will give you the best of both worlds, simply unclip and slip into your backpack and "she's" on the back coming home/going out/going to her place, oh to be young and free again. ::) ::)

Just a note on the name brand stuff for your bike, 8) it's good and proven but can be bloody expensive have a look around and you will often find the same style for cheeper.
Remember to ask!!!! ;) as some of us have old parts from distant projects and we just need a prompter to make us remember that we still have them! ;D
AND LOTS OF PHOTOS ;D ;D ;D

Rod from OZ 8)

I have plans to make a couple of two up seats with the bump stop farther back, and making the passenger pegs attached to the seat in some way.

When i feel like riding by myself- wham, i install my one seater seat and ride away.

P.S. If i make a good enough mold ill make a couple and sell them

Back
Top Bottom