76 xl250 brat/tracker build

Turkeyfellow91

Hello everyone, I'm finally building a thread for my xl250. It all started when I saw the xl285 from pipeburn and fell in love. I have been wanting to build a bike for a long time but I'm finally getting to it! I picked up this 76 xl250 from a guy in Phoenix AZ for only $450. So here she is when I bought it (about 2 months ago)

First things first, stripped it down!

Fully stripped!

Modified and de-tabed frame

Seat pan

Seat got upholstered, and started stripping all the paint

Finally received most of the part a month later, to include big bore kit!

Tank body work and rust treatment

Battery tray

Battery tray done and taillight bracket done

It's time to finish rebuilding engine and powdering coating frame. Thank you for looking! 8)

looks very cool 8) fantastic job on the seat !
what about the rear suspension ? you have kinda boxed yourself into a corner what shocks are you going to use ?

Thanx for your comments!!! I'm using the stock suspension since it was replaced by the previous owner about a year ago. I will be powder coating the spring though

:D thanx for your comments! Quick question! I have a 4.0 x 18 rim what tire fit better, the 120/80-18 or the 4.10-18? I think bigger is better! Which one is bigger? Do they both fit and how?

So I'm finally taking things to get powder coated!! They will be candy purple!
Also getting the engine bored +36cc to make it a 285cc

Turkeyfellow91 said:
:D thanx for your comments! Quick question! I have a 4.0 x 18 rim what tire fit better, the 120/80-18 or the 4.10-18? I think bigger is better! Which one is bigger? Do they both fit and how?
4.10 is plenty big for the 250 the 120 is too big
your rim is a 2.15 unless you laced up a different one

Just picked up the frame and part from powder coating! The in engine is still being built for the next week or 2! I'm trying to get it done this month but we will see.

There will be more pictures as I continue this built

I spend all weekend on this beautiful piece of machinery! I hand sanded all 72 spokes with a 400 grit them with a 800 grit. I stripped, sanded, prepped, and painted both front and back hub assemblies. (I used epoxy paint) I took more parts in for powder coating. I sanded and painted the gas tank. (4 coats of paint and 2 of gloss)

After the first coat

Shocks after cleaning

It starting to look like a bike with the Kenda k761 rear and front tires

And lastly I finally got all my riding gear in!

Looking good! Interesting choice of colour, I'm a mopar fan so it is a win in my book. I'm doing a 72' at the moment. Moving a bit slower than your though. Keep up the good work.

Ok I know it's been a bit since I posted anything but I haven't stopped working on my bike!

This is the bike fully disassembled, just a few more things and it's time to build it back up.

I painted the engine after hours of cleaning

Wheels after I laced them and then got them trued and balanced and the new Kenda k761 tires got mounted

And this is when it get interesting starting the build it
People say over and over to take pictures so you won't forget and I was to stubborn but I'm learning my lesson

I'm also doing my own wire harness since I have a metal wire wrapper at work for the av8b harrier jet cables.

Ok so I bought a 12 volt battery and lights (headlight, taillight and turn signals) at the time I hadn't done my research so I didn't know I had a 6v system. What all do I need to do to make it work with what I have?
Help is greatly appreciated

From old posts in ThumperTalk. If the XL250 has a battery ignition (i.e., not magneto) then you will probably also need a 12V ignition coil and appropriate resistor:
"Hi Thumper folk. It is very easy to convert to 12V on these old bikes. In the old days regulating voltage was a hassel. They used high resistance 6V bulbs to do most of the regulating. With modern solid state regulators it is easy to convert to 12V. Just purchase a 12V regulator like the " Moose " 12V HD regulator. less than $15, install it ( easy two wires and one goes to frame ).
Then install 12V bulbs and you will have good basic lighting for enduro type or off road vehicles. There is no need to rewind for 12V because the output of most magnetos is about 20 to 30 VAC at just above an idle. 12V bulbs have a lot less resistanc than 6V and will be brighter. I have done several now and this has been tried by other friends and with great results. I have been using this on several bikes from Hodakas to SL100 Hondas. If these regulators were available years ago there would not be many 6V systems. The regulator I have been using is the Moose Parts unlimited # 2112-0090 anda should cost less than $15 from your local dealer. TRY IT ! it works very well, wayne huff "
-----
"Hey, Wayne,

That's great info. I have both a Hodaka 250SL and several early SL/CL Honda 100s and 125. I've read about doing it, but it's always been "my brother's roomate's cousin knew a guy who..." :thumbsup:

I'm curious about the hookup: the early Honda's are two wire, where each wire is one end of the long multi-coil charging/lighting circuit. Each wire goes to half of a full-wave rectifier, which inverts half of the DC. With the Moose type, with a single input and one side grounded, it must just be a half wave rectifier, which just clips that other half. Where do you hook up the second wire from the OEM system?

Anyway, sounds interesting. I may give it a try...

Kirk"
-----
"Kirk, forget about rectifiers and DC current. The regulator simply plugs into your lighting wire and the other other wire has an eye made on to it, that goes to ground. If you have two wires coming out of the mag( other than the wire for ignition) just use one of them. the other may need to be grounded but I think it usually can be just taped off or something. This is something I have tested and currently use and is not some rumor. It works and works well. If it matters to anyone, yes I do have a degree in electronics and am a long time proffessional motorcycle mechanic. The regulator is small and bolts to the frame. prefferably where it can get air although I have had no over heating problems with the ones I am using. The regulator works so well it is impossible to tell when it kicks in and doesn't seem to care what rpm or load you put on it. I know this all sounds too good to be true but the availabilty of a good cheap reliable regulator has changed everything about simple reliable lighting on these vintage bikes. I say again, you do not need to rewind for 12V. The windings are already wound to produce enough AC to run 12V bulbs. I know it seems backwards but the 12V bulbs have little resistance and do not put near the demands on your magneto output as 6V bulbs and rectifiers.I will try to write this up in more detail and post it on my web site when I get around to it so I won't have to do it for every forum I am in.By the way, Dwight Rudder is using this method on one of his bikes that I wired for him and is well pleased. Also this is so much fun to get rid of the corrosive battery,unreliable rectifier and there is no need for a fuse!! Just a light switch and a kill button. Try it you will like it. have fun ,wayne huff"

Back
Top Bottom