Garage Project Motorcycles #6 - "GUNDA" - CB500 Street Tracker

rex havoc

Got a call from Jimmy who wanted us to build him a schmick arse cafe racer like the two below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQLOgkwGkCM

BCR%20CB500.jpg

We started the hunt for a suitable bike and found a CB500 at a good price. I loved it the moment I saw it, even though it looked fairly rough and had a bit of (dodgy) work done to it already, it had character. Upon closer inspection, the bike had a lot of idiosyncrasies that would suit a different style, namely street tracker. The swingarm was much longer than stock, the engine fins were damaged, air filter was cool and would suit tracker style better and the exhaust was a 4 into 1 that looked very cool.

Fortunately Jimmy's budget for the Cafe Racer was unrealistic so we had a meeting in the garage to discuss our Street Tracker proposal. Jimmy loved th idea and has basically allowed us alot of creative freedom.

I'll post a "before" pic when I can find it but until then here are a couple of pics where we are at the moment.

mini-_IGP3160.JPG

mini-_IGP3161.JPG

mini-_IGP3162.JPG

mini-_IGP3159.JPG

Oh yeh, the name Gunda, where did that come from?

Jimmy says "Gunda" is a Hindi word for a villan (ganster, bad guy, criminal) in a bollywood video...

Cool! def wanna see where this goes! Here's my cb550 tracker: might be inspirational, although i doubt that seeing your skills ;)

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=27268.0

Hidenau, german I think.

Not sure if the model number but you'll find it ready enough if you google it.

Http://garageprojectmotorcycles.tumblr.com

4 months between updates is probably enough...cough...

This thing has changed direction so many times..first it was going to be a cafe racer, then we went basic street tracker, then we were going to do a multi coloured comic book style and now we've heading in a classier street tracker style. We're nearly there, should be finished by the end of November.

_IGP3654.JPG

Engine out and made the rear fender, battery box etc

20121011_185318.jpg

The engine didn't look so bad when it was in the bike. Phark me, this is going to be interesting...

_IGP3933.JPG

_IGP3932.JPG

Eagle eyed viewers will notice we've changed the rear tyre for something more "aggressive". What the customer wants...

_IGP3936.JPG

^This rear fender is welded to the battery compartment and is separate to the rear fender that sticks out the back.

_IGP3935.JPG

Looks rad already! I have a 550 that needs a bit of attention around the rear triangle, I noticed that you guys completely remade that back end, are there any more pictures of that being done? Did you use tubing of the same diameter or did you use larger and sleeve the original?

Thanks!

We used the same size tubing.

This is all the pics I have of the frame.

_IGP3655.JPG

_IGP3656.JPG

IMG_9398.jpg

Here is a pic of the bottom end as it is today
IMG_4281.jpg

Good choice to use the wrinkle finish paint on such rough castings. It really hides imperfections well.

Re: Re: Garage Project Motorcycles #6 - "GUNDA" - CB500 Street Tracker

hallin222 said:
Good choice to use the wrinkle finish paint on such rough castings. It really hides imperfections well.

Exactly! It suits the street tracker style as well.

Http://garageprojectmotorcycles.tumblr.com

Seat is done. Brown leather with red stitching. Not exactly what we were thinking but it'll look better as it ages.

_IGP4087.JPG

Check the engine out a few posts above. There is only so much blasting can do to an engine like that. Wrinkle paint was used to hide the imperfections but it looks bloody sensational and suits the tracker style perfectly. Will definitely use it again.

_IGP4088.JPG

Bought this mirror for the CX but decided to use it on this instead.

_IGP4093.JPG

I forgot what Brad said about the oil filter but this looks great.

_IGP4094.JPG

Pick up the tank from paint tomorrow so won't be long before we're finished.

Great idea on the batterybox/fender! Love the way it looks. Simple and clean.
What kind of oil filter/cooler adapter is that? Are you going to run a cooler?

Scribed.................looking good man.

Show some more on how the seat was made.....pleeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom