New guy, first project bike! CB750

logie_t

Hello everyone!

New here and new to working on bikes in general. Its been my dream for as long as I can remember to customize my own bike. After reading everything I could find on the internet, and on a complete whim, I purchased a stripped '73 CB750 frame and plan to learn and build my very own custom cafe. One thing I forgot to add is that I have literally 0 experience, ha! But as they say, you gotta start somewhere.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (and needed). I need to acquire the rest of the bike but look forward to getting this project started.

I suppose my biggest question now is what order should I buy things in?

Thanks and all the best,
Logie T

I am going to apologize in advance for the number of questions I ask. I haven't even got the frame in my possession yet and I already feel overwhelmed, ha!

Anyway, I sat down this morning and started a build log, starting with a list of stuff/parts that I will need to order over time.

so far I've only got then frame and the swing arm ordered.

CB750 Build/Parts list:
-GSXR full Front End
-Front brake rotors
-Wiring harness
-gas tank
-seat
-motor
-carbs
-chain
-rear sprocket
-wheels
-rear disk brake kit/caliper
-battery
-motogadget triple clamp and switches
-motogadget wiring components
-oil tank/lines
-gas lines
-rear sets/brackets
-exhaust
-suspension
-headlight
-turn signals
-horn?
-frame loop
-brake light

This is what I've got on my list so far. I'm sure that I have MANY parts missing. What else do I need to add?
I've also ordered a service manual and a couple of books about rebuilding/restoring classic Japanese bikes and cafe racers.

Thanks and all the best,
Logie

Wait...

You're literally building it from scratch? Just starting with a bare frame?

If so, you're going to end up spending a pile of money big enough that it would have bought you two complete and running CB750s.

I admire the attitude, but this is 100% the most difficult and expensive route you could possibly take.

Quite an aggressive approach, welcome and good luck.

Post lots of pix for sure.

logie_t said:
Hello everyone!

New here and new to working on bikes in general. Its been my dream for as long as I can remember to customize my own bike. After reading everything I could find on the internet, and on a complete whim, I purchased a stripped '73 CB750 frame and plan to learn and build my very own custom cafe. One thing I forgot to add is that I have literally 0 experience, ha! But as they say, you gotta start somewhere.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (and needed). I need to acquire the rest of the bike but look forward to getting this project started.

I suppose my biggest question now is what order should I buy things in?

Thanks and all the best,
Logie T

I'm usually not the guy to poo poo on someone's parade, but, if your plan is to build a bike from literally nothing, having never turned a wrench on a bike ever, you're trying to run blindfolded with 2 knives in each hand pointed at your chest, whilst having your shoe laces tied together.

I don't know where you are located, but I suggest you get that frame legal (title/registration) before you invest any major money in the project.

Ambitious!.....I also think as a first build with only a frame is costly venture. Maybe start tinkering with a runner first, maybe something with a single carb? Or As suggested, If i were doing it i would get a running/ridable donor bike, fix/mod/paint frame and start stripping/painting/installing parts as you go. You'll be able focus on sections easier and not get overwhelmed as easily. You gotta start somewhere,..heck....I just changed a transmission gear for the first time. Ive never built a cb750 so ill be of little use, Just have a solid plan and ask for advice! Great guys here who know their stuff. Get the factory service manual! Good luck on your build hope to see pics soon.

Hey Everyone-

thanks for the input! I searched high and low but the only one I could find in the area was completely restored and the owner is asking nearly $10k for. I am fully prepared for the cost as I am fully expecting for this project to take 2+ years. I will definitely keep looking for a donor bike but I have a very specific picture in my head.

all the best,
Logie

Back
Top Bottom