2002 Honda CBR F2 front end swap

djmaynard

Been Around the Block
I came across a parts bike that I’d like to tear off and use on one of my other Honda’s. I’ve never done before nor attempted but wondering if it’s easy as I imagine. Frame is in decent shape but before I tear it all apart wasn’t sure what I was getting into. I know nothing about how to figure the rake and such but heard Honda to Honda is easier.

I have a 1982 Honda CB900C and also 77 Honda CB750K. Be willing to use either bike just wanted the better fit.

Or try to save the CBR?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2786.JPG
    IMG_2786.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    435.4 KB · Views: 263
Re: 2002 Honda CBR F2 front end swap

It's not bad. The biggest thing is making sure you get the suspension geometry correct. Such as trail and that. The triple offset is alot less on the CBR will be put your trail at a bad place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So where do I start? Tried searching YouTube with no real explanation.

1fasgsxr said:
Having custom trees made for the f2 forks?

I don’t know, sorry I will admit I am a novice but love to learn. If needed I will but if it doesn’t throw things off too much no.

innovativems said:
It's not bad. The biggest thing is making sure you get the suspension geometry correct. Such as trail and that. The triple offset is alot less on the CBR will be put your trail at a bad place

Less offset = more trail which might make the bike steering a little heavy, but should be stable.

hillsy said:
Have a look over here:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20951.0

From what I can gather the CBR and your 900c run the same steering bearings so you can direct swap the entire CBR front end into the 900c.

Better brakes, tyre choice, etc right there.

Rear wheel will probably slot in as well with minimal mods.

Now that’s what I’m talking about!!! I had wondered if I was able to magically make the front end line up if I can utilize the rear somehow.

Thanks Hillsy!

teazer said:
Less offset = more trail which might make the bike steering a little heavy, but should be stable.
That's correct. I try to stay around 95mm trail. The offset of those triples with that steering neck on a early bike will make it pretty sluggish on turn in

I concur with what the others are saying but you might want to draw it all out before you do anything. A quick google search revealed the 900 to have 28.5deg of rake with the stock triples having a negative rake of about 3deg giving a resultant frame rake of around 31.5deg (if you can believe everything you read). Another google search reveals the F2 has 24deg of rake and 96mm of trail. Putting the F2 front end straight into the 900 might give you all sorts of odd trail numbers. Don't forget that front wheel overall diameter has a big effect on both trail and rake. I hope it works out for you but it would be good to check first.

Ah I missed it's a 900c the stock triples are 45mm offset and the 600f2 is 30mm if memory serves me right.

I'm doing f3 forks on my cb750f dohc. I'm getting custom triples made at 45mm triple offset and a .75 drop triple since the fork legs are .5 inch shorter then stock. This with my 17 inch wheels will get me right at 95mm trail

Back
Top Bottom