Juggernaut XS750 "Antichrome"

FINALLY! I got the bike running again today. I've literally spent the last 4 months with wiring and timing gremlins. The timing pin had to be relocated last year and I did have it running then. After hacking the original harness I developed other problems or so I thought. Still haven't tried the old harness but another one will get a much more progressive tweaking to fit it and delete unnecessary items.

The sound and exhaust smoke was glorious. The whole garage filled with smoke with the engine revving to 5,000rpms. Quickly shut it down and hollered for a little while. It idled nicely but still needs some tweaking.

Juggernaut said:
FINALLY! I got the bike running again today. I've literally spent the last 4 months with wiring and timing gremlins. The timing pin had to be relocated last year and I did have it running then. After hacking the original harness I developed other problems or so I thought. Still haven't tried the old harness but another one will get a much more progressive tweaking to fit it and delete unnecessary items.

The sound and exhaust smoke was glorious. The whole garage filled with smoke with the engine revving to 5,000rpms. Quickly shut it down and hollered for a little while. It idled nicely but still needs some tweaking.

Hey Juggs ;) The bike came up a treat to look at mate! Nice work! Love that paint scheme and it's so mad to see red fork lowers! I can say with confidence, that's a first for me man! Looks bitchin 8) Hows the bike now? Is it on the road yet? All the gremlins gone? Cheers!

Thanks Oily_Rag. Most of the details are worked out. I still need to address the charging system and get seat for it. So far I have put 500 miles on the bike. It's quick but it's missing in the higher rpm range. Overall I really like and it attracts attention anytime I stop. Typical bikers give me "the wave" then do a double take as they pass. A few more things and it's finished.

Here are some updated pics as of October. This is also the current configuration until I figure out the charging issue. If anyone can help me make an adjustable voltage regulator that will work with the Shorai battery I promise I'll give you beer money.

2011-10-29110938.jpg

2011-10-29110952.jpg

2011-10-29111010.jpg

beautiful work man. i picked up a barn find xs750 special 2 months ago, with enough parts to build another bike(minus the frame). i was going to do a cafe-rat-racer kinda thing. but you have inspired me to go for something, dare i say, cleaner. thats some damn fine rattle can work on the tank. keep up the good work mate.

Whoa. That thing is GORGEOUS! Very nice work! Like the "anti-chrome idea". Can't wait to see it done!

Juggernaut said:
Here are some updated pics as of October. This is also the current configuration until I figure out the charging issue. If anyone can help me make an adjustable voltage regulator that will work with the Shorai battery I promise I'll give you beer money.

It sure is gorgeous mate :) Can you email or PM some more info or pics of your charging system and what components you have changed/updated, and what it is or is not doing? I will try to help if I can. Cheers

Small Update today. After putting 600 miles on the beast things started to fall apart again. WOOHOO! Garage therapy is good for anyone in the spring with nothing better to do.

The tank got removed again for the 100th time. The headlight was removed and the party was just getting started. Ripping out the wiring harness went quick enough and then the soldering iron showed up. The six wires that connect the coils to the CDI needed to be lengthened about a foot for box to be relocated under the tank.

The nervous center of the bike:
DSC_0039.jpg

Once the CDI was taken care of the major portion of the project began: remounting the front LED turn signals. This was the most brutal thing I have done to the bike in a long time. These signals were purchased off ebay with high hopes. When I tried to install them the first time I learned that the bolts on them were only a 1/4" long and the headlight ears and bucket are as little less than 3/4" thick. No good. I cut my own washers out of sheet metal and that got me by for a little while. This setup allowed the nuts to attach with just a couple of threads. A few weeks ago one became disconnected and the headlight ear was just flapping around. After a lot of thinking I decided to buy some threaded couplers and threaded rod.

I cut the rod and couplers in half...easy part done. Then I needed to drill through the rod so I could run wire through it. With the bolt in the vise and drill in hand I knew it was going to be fun. The holes were not as straight as I thought and believed everything was ruined. The rods only needed to be half as long as I anticipated and all went well after chasing the threads and cleaning the hole out. I then used some of the old hardware from the original signals and now everything is tight and looks really clean and stable. It's amazing how many XS750 "parts" ACE Hardware has. HA!

DSC_0041.jpg

With the electrical almost finished I needed to figure out a way to run the CDI and charging wires up the side of the bike but maintain a clean look. A quick look around the garage netted me a lonely PVC pipe. I used my handheld air cut off wheel to removed a quarter of material lengthwise from the pipe. After sanding, priming, and painting I had a great wire hider while maintaining the minimal look. There are just two zip ties holding it on and it feels pretty stable

DSC_0040.jpg

The ebay special tail light/brake light/signals/plate holder was not working well in the appearance department for me. I decided to remount the plate on the side of the bike and the light assembly will get a generous trim down and moulded into the seat currently in progress. Again, sheet metal saved the day. I drilled a hole for the suspension bolt to go through. Since the axle bolt is huge I just cut a square on that end. It is held on with the axle washer and nut torqued to 110 ft/lbs. I don't think it's going anywhere

DSC_0037.jpg

The seat is going to be built. I don't want to get something that doesn't fit and needs to be hacked up. My friend and I went to Hobby Lobby. That place is scary. There are hordes of hippy women there and they must be feminists as well. Not a welcoming vibe in the place. We picked up a 25lb lump of clay for $13.50. Took it back home, cracked a few beers, brought out the knives and something resembling a seat started to take shape. We used thick soup cans to take up the space in the bum stop and really saved us a lot of clay. If we didn't we would have needed 10 more pounds of clay to fill it in. I hope to lay fiberglass over this, once it is done and have a seat.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

To be continued...

Could've used floral foam. Much cheaper and just as easy to mold.

I agree on Hobby Lobby being scary. Makes me feel the need to beat my chest and manly shit like that.

Looking great. That's a good spot for the ignition. I might stick mine in the same spot. I've yet to tackle any fiberglass work. I'll be interested to see how it all ends up.

My ignition went in the same spot only turned. Tapped two holes in the frame and used stainless fasteners under neath. I ran the wires through the frame for a completely seamless look.

Thanks for the replies. I get a few pics of the plate mount. I'm happy with clay as my idea material. I've changed the design too many times. Hopefully, the sculpture will be completed tonight.

This build looks great. I just tuned in and just started my own XS750 project "Intervention"
Once I verify its a runner, I'll be stripping it down and stealing lots of ideas :-D

Looking good!

I am so stealing your ignition cylinder idea. Bike looks sweet! Glad to find another yammy triple on here!

Back
Top Bottom