1968 Honda CL350 pistons and rings

Tremelune

Been Around the Block
As part of my rebuild, I've hit some question marks when putting the pistons back on:

1) My pistons are labelled I and II (with a marker from the machinist), but I don't know which cylinder is I and which is II. Presumably, the left cylinder (as you sit on the bike) is I and the right is II. Correct?
2) I have rings that don't look like the rings you can buy or the profiles in the Clymer manual.

Specifically, I can't identify the rings I have such that I'll be able to put them back on in the correct order. The oil ring is a single ring with a center groove that runs along the outside. The other two rings are ambiguous. One has a simple, rectangular profile. The other has a step/ledge that runs along the bottom. Which one of these goes on top? Should I even use these (they are in spec) or buy a new set? My plan was to reuse the little circlips as they seem fine.

ring-shape.jpg

For good measure, here's a shot of the marking on each ring, which indicates which side of the ring should face up:

ring-marks.jpg

The one stamped with the R is your top ring. I think the other one should be stamped with an RN somewhere...

The beveled one is the top one. There's usually a very slight difference in thickness between the two rings, as well. You can match them to the groove in the piston. Thicker ring goes in the thicker groove.

Can you tell me how you know? Not to doubt, but this is my only source of info, and I don't want to take this thing apart again...

The grooved ring seems to be 0.01-0.02mm thicker, which is about the limit of accuracy for my calipers.

Because of this picture in my service manual.

Attachments

• pistons.png
    pistons.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 177
Yeah, that's just it. The squared ring has no bevel at all, and the grooved ring isn't really beveled, nor does it have that external slant to it. It's a bit boggling.

I think I may measure again and go best guess by thickness...it's just at the limit of my accuracy, and I wish I had more to go on.

Yahtzee!

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/32-mechanical-issues/7487-piston-ring-order-general.html

I was just looking at my rings today. Top ring was marked with a "T" and the middle one an "R". Maybe this helps. Two different motors had the same configuration and markings.

Back
Top Bottom