help, how to open cb550f case

Rock_Star

I'm tearing down a cb550f motor. i got tadpit cover, valve cover, the jugs, and the cylinders off, but now it seem like the lower case doesn't want to come apart. I've unloosen and removed all the screws holding the case together. I've been at this for the past two days with no budge... I'd been searching for 2 hrs now and cant find a thread to help demonstrate "how to take the lower case apart?" am i missing something? am i doing something wrong? is it to cold? i couldn't find a prey gap, i even whacked it with a rubber millet and still no give. I'm literately pulling my hair at this point... please shine in, all helps are welcome.

There's a semi hardening liquid gasket between the halves that acts as a glue once it gets old.
Make sure you have all the bolts out, sometimes there is one hiding inside the oil pan if you haven't gotten to that yet (not familiar with the 550 but several Hondas have bolts there)
Once you are absolutely sure they are all out find a place where the cases overlap and you can get a piece of wood under one or the other, then smack the wood with a hammer until it breaks loose.

i do see the (1) bolt inside the oil pan. i wasnt sure if that one was connecting the two halves. i mind as well remove that bolt too. i did already removed every bolts and screws there is on the lower case. ill give it a shot. btw where would be the best point to hit it? do i need to remove the oil pump also?

You have the upper case and lower case bolts out?
Including the one between gear shafts?
Clutch is off and primary drive gear removed? (with the primary shaft)

No need to remove the oil pump. The bolt inside the oil sump area does hold the halves together. There's a tab at the front of the engine that you can hit with a soft face mallet. Don't use a regular hammer or you may crack the case. Once the bolt from the oils sump is out, it should come apart with a few raps of the mallet.

crazypj said:
You have the upper case and lower case bolts out?
Including the one between gear shafts?
Clutch is off and primary drive gear removed? (with the primary shaft)

Primary gear/ primary shaft? (The one that goes all the way through the case? I did remove the shaft and whatever is connecting it. I have the whole clutch basket and all the bracket behind the kickstart side off.

dualitymike said:
No need to remove the oil pump. The bolt inside the oil sump area does hold the halves together. There's a tab at the front of the engine that you can hit with a soft face mallet. Don't use a regular hammer or you may crack the case. Once the bolt from the oils sump is out, it should come apart with a few raps of the mallet.

Yeah, I'd removed the last bolt under the oil pan. Idk if it's just me, but I'm having the hardest time to open it.

The dowels locating case halves are often corroded in position.
primary drive shaft connects the hyvo chain to the clutch drive gear
I have a busted case here, I'll count the bolts and see how many you should have taken out
16 x 6mm bolts (10mm head) and 13 x 8mm bolts, (12mm head)

Back
Top Bottom