My homemade full fairing project

For clarification, I am referring to side vents like pictured in the link below. I have seen them facing either direction. I would probably make the vent at the least twice as tall as the one pictured. I am looking at this purely for rider comfort and not engine cooling. The flow through the radiator is adequate, but if it happens to help that would be a side benefit.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/images/fairings/TRI4_ASSY.JPG

A louver there will allow heat to escape better. By reversing it to pull air in you may get air circulating in front of your knee actually trapping the engine heat between you and the fairing. Physics says you would want a opening facing backwards to pull hot air out as air rushes past the opening, along with the natural airflow through the front and out the sides of the fairing.

kagraves said:
A louver there will allow heat to escape better. By reversing it to pull air in you may get air circulating in front of your knee actually trapping the engine heat between you and the fairing. Physics says you would want a opening facing backwards to pull hot air out as air rushes past the opening, along with the natural airflow through the front and out the sides of the fairing.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your input.

FYI, that Beezumph fairing had ducts form the letterbox oil cooler to the side outlets.

You need a small(ish) opening at the front to get air in to where it needs to go and ducts on the side of the fairing to encourage the passing airflow to create a low pressure zone to "suck" the heat out. On a watercooled bike, you can just arrange internal ducts to get air off your legs like a big deflector plate so air passes through the radiator and hits the curved deflector and exits the sides of the fairing.

This is very cool. how's it turning out now? I couldn't imagine trying to shape a fairing that huge. Great fab skills mate.

Well it has been awhile. I have been going through phases of interest. I have probably only worked on it a couple of days over the past 6 months. A few weeks ago I got the body work to a point I was somewhat happy with. Finally got to mount it to the bike again. Unfortunately, with all the sanding and fiberglass reinforcements my original mounts no longer work and will have to be remade. They were pretty crude anyway so no big deal. At the rate I am going the estimated time of completion is currently April 2025... If I could go back an do it again, I probably would have bought a fairing for airtech and stretched where necessary.

Glad to see you back at it. Mine has stalled recently as well, other things have taken my time.

Looking real good though, can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks man, I've wanted to make on for a while and have to say your build gave me the push to start it. Let's both get these fairings finished :)

Mr95 your fairing looks great! I just joined the forum today. I recently picked up a 72 CB175 and i wanted to make a full fairing for it. I might just start with something similar to Perry's. Perry yours also looks great. Cant wait to start this, going to make the seat first then begin the fairing after the seat is complete.

Fr_Gus said:
Mr95 your fairing looks great! I just joined the forum today. I recently picked up a 72 CB175 and i wanted to make a full fairing for it. I might just start with something similar to Perry's. Perry yours also looks great. Cant wait to start this, going to make the seat first then begin the fairing after the seat is complete.

Thanks man. Really hope you give it a try, would love to see what you come up with.

This thread needs an update ;D

It still looks like the last picture. I have been too busy with the family and work to do anything with it. Hopefully things will slow down soon and I can get back on it.

Back
Top Bottom