plates not visable

BriMed1983

Been Around the Block
Ride home after work, sitting in traffic when a very angry unmarked cop pulls up next to me and yells at me to move over! I did so polity, completely stumped as to why I'm getting pulled over traffic wasnt moving. The usual license and registration. I asked if there was a problem and his words exactly "you know why" now I'm really confused. Anyway some time passes and the cop comes back with a warning about my rear plate said it has to be vertical. I said I'm sorry I've had it this way for 5 years and wasn't aware. He rudely yells "o come on you people know it can't be flat but do it all the time" I have your plates recorded fix it or I'm giving you a 110 ticket next time I see you here"

I could be wrong but isn't this very visable? Should I just leave it? Where else could I mount it I like it as is.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410921687654.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410921687654.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 568
1) the angle from vertical

2) it's also bent

Those two things are probably not legal in any state.

I've been pulled over a few times for the same thing. They do encounter this all the time with squids who are trying to hide their plates and run on their crotchrockets.

Flatten the plate out and put a few washers between it and the fender to improve the angle a bit - or keep getting pulled over like I do :) I've not been ticketed - when they see I'm as old or older than they are and my bike is clearly not clad in plastic, they let me go.

IMG_1746.jpg

I'm not taking the cops side, because I think that's a lossy reason to pull someone over, but here's a page specific to the ontario highway traffic act that may explain the rules. At the bottom of the page under "improper plate", which is a really ambiguous description.

http://licenceplate.ca/about.php

Says something about the plate being defaced or altered.

These are the likely key elements:

Number plate to be kept clean
Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138.

Obstruction prohibited
Thenumber plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2.

The Radar part I bolded....If it can't be photographed, they get "upset"

Thanks for all the input guys. I didn't go nuts as in completly revamping my tail section. But I did paint my fender black for more contrast. Flatned my plate back to normal and added a longer bolt with a spacer behind the plate so it doesn't lay as flat. I'm sure it's probably still not 100 percent legal but its definatly more visable. I'll get some pics up when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom