VHT engine

stillatwork

Going to be doing my first engine with VHT black paint. Been hearing about running the engine to let it cure. What's everyone's experience? Engine is clean and off the bike, may not be running for a few more weeks. Would that be ok with the paint. Any tips?

I used it on the CB360. Had pretty good results. I painted each component of the engine seperately and then cured at ~200* for 1 hour as stated. If you don't cure it, it will not be chemical resistant or as hard as when cured. It does chip a bit if you aren't careful, but once its on the bike it looks pretty good.

Next time I paint an engine, I'll paint it after all the bolts are in. Torquing the bolts will chip paint also.

I've had some reasonable results using VHT paint.
Acetone is excellent for cleaning/degreasing, I'd also recommend using the VHT primer.

Attachments

• 100_0146.JPG
    100_0146.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 389
I baked each part in the oven separately before assembly...bit tough to get a fully assembled motor in the oven though!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

If I am not tearing a motor down then I use Duplicolor because I do not believe that running a motor will cure the paint properly. Don't underestimate the value of proper prep work. VHT is good but only durable after being cured.

807686D8-51D4-45F1-8143-001800646AA3.jpg

Powdercoat anything by your feet. the new high temp textured coat is sweet on cylinders and heads just make sure the coat shop is aware and knows how to heat mask a head correctly. most don't split cases and so any good paint will hold up except uncured VHT it will chip right away, 2K the cases for a solid glossy job and you can add metal dust or pearl to it for the bling bling but use a respirator not a dust mask or die :eek:

Another vote for Duplicolor engine enamel... especially where it will be sitting for a bit.. do it now and leave it alone for a good week to cure...
Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Hijacking this thread. Currently cases split on a 80 CB750F Dohc. Going to be putting cases back together, and need to paint. Gonna be a few weeks till its running, as I am waiting for parts delivery. Im considering the gloss black VHT on the cases, and the jugs, but going with VHT wrinkle black on the valvecover, and the side covers. Thoughts on the VHT vs Duplicolor? Also, required to prime or no?

Back
Top Bottom