Residual rust scale/ flakes after cleaning

hidn45

Hey all-

I searched & read all I could find about this & didn't really find what I was looking for. Maybe I'm just being anal, but here goes: You guys who have de-rusted a tank - any concern about leaving loose rust scale/ flakes in the tank? When rinsing my old gas out, I wasn't able to remove all the liquid, & I'm afraid the same thing will happen when I de-rust (vinegar) & I'll be leaving some of the solids. I can take steps to get rid of the liquid, but I'm sure there will be some solid flakes, etc. that won't make it out, even with vigorous shaking.

Thoughts from the hive-mind?

Thanks

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on this too. I've de-rusted a few tanks now, and never used any kind of liner (POR15, Dragonsblood, Kreem etc). I did however make sure that the long-stemmed filter in the tank (on the petcock) was new, and also installed an inline fuel filter as well. Never had an issue with any residual rust flakes making it into the carbs.

If you're not using any liner in your tanks, then it's a very good idea to keep your tank filled with gas. This alone will stop any new rust from forming.

When I de-rust a tank (phosphoric acid, for me), I let it soak for a while, then i add drywall screws and shake it around vigorously for a good 30 minutes to an hour or until it appears as though all the thick scale is gone. Then, I dump the acid solution out and as much of the screws and scale as I can. Then I follow up with a retractable magnet, making sure I get into all the cracks and corners of the tank. Then I rinse with water, follow up with isopropyl alcohol and then dry it out with a heat gun. The last step is to take 2 stroke fuel and swish it around in the tank really well, which seems to prevent any flashing. Then I use the tank as normal. Some tanks I put a liner in. Some tanks I don't. A little flash won't hurt, tbh. It's the scale that effs up your jets and such.

Most of the solids should be iron oxide, and a strong magnet should get any of it that is suspended in or flowing in water when you rinse.

Magnet - duh - why didn't I think of that.... i figured on a magnet to retreive my "agitating" hardware, never thought about it picking up the scale too. And doing it with the rinse water still inside makes sense as well.

Thanks guys - this job is getting easier all the time....

Back
Top Bottom