The Free CB750 - Project Zoidberg

I finally got the rotor off and the cases cracked. Nearly pulled a muscle, but the 22mm socket with the swingarm bolt did the trick. The crescent wrench just wasn't cutting it.

484388_10151563787910159_753001209_n.jpg

So it was the rotor that was holding the cases together? Can you see how or why? Reason I ask is I've seen plenty crankshafts for sale with the rotor still attached because they couldn't remove it so they must of got the cases apart somehow without removing it.
Anyhow its apart now, anything look worn or damaged?

Yeah... the rotor was holding things together. The back of the rotor is concave and you can see how the cases extend out (for a seal and bearing) right where the rotor fits over.

Everything inside looks pretty oily (duh) but no visible wear. All the journals are polished and unscathed and no big chunks of anything in oil (except a dead moth?!).

Sonreir said:
and no big chunks of anything in oil (except a dead moth?!).

Now that's crazy. How the hell does a whole moth get in the oil? I guess someone left the cap off and it was stupid enough to crawl on inside haha

Very productive evening for me. I've mocked up some of how the bike will be looking...

26319_10151565503675159_1768139657_n.jpg

I stripped the tank (gonna need more than a little filler on this old beast) and mocked up the seat and rear cowl from my CJ. They're almost a perfect fit, but I will need to fab up some mounts for the seat. The rear fender is from an XT225 and the sissy bar will be cut down for use as a frame for my paniers.

I also turned all of the engine internals into engine externals and the cases are now ready for cleaning and then a lick of paint.

67347_10151565503630159_1255297743_n.jpg

I also started on the clean up of the used plastics. Wetsanding with 120 grit, then 220 grit, and then some steel wool seems to do the trick. I may go back with 400 and 600 if I want it really shiny, but this is looking good for now.

733926_10151565503660159_536203491_n.jpg

AlphaDogChoppers said:
I used an air impact driver several times today tearing down a CX500 engine. It was fucking MAGIC!

God I love being an automotive tech. We are spoiled by such things as compressed air, pneumatic tools, and whatnot lol

I spent a lot of money for all that magic. <G>

Just the air compressor and piping around the shop is enough money for a good down payment on a new car. (As if I would ever buy a new car. Last new car I bought in '97. Still driving it, almost 300,000 miles later.)

lol... Tools are not cheep. I am only a young man... almost 25 and still drive the very same car that I bought when I was 16. I have allot of money in tools ( mainly purchased for my profession) and still have nothing. Quality comes from experience (which I have some, not as much as many), but also from the tools one has. It is a privilege to be able to use and own so of the best tools the market has to offer. However I envy many of you in the fact that all of my expensive and very useful tools are locked up in a building that I have no key for... lol ( now that I think about it, that's why I can't get anything done.). all-n-all tools are the gear-heads best friend, remember "just because you have to spend a little money to make your visions real... does not mean it is a waste"-me. 8)
god I love IPA lol

e30

First two decades of my working life I was an Auto Tech... 3 times a week there was a Tool Truck stopping by the shops to show you the latest and greatest. Snap-On, Mac, and Matco.
So you had a rolling account with each, usually paid each of them between $20 and $30 a week, so thats what... $80- $120 per month for EACH truck? Multiply that times 3 trucks...

DAMN, no wonder I was always broke!

Hoosier Daddy said:
First two decades of my working life I was an Auto Tech... 3 times a week there was a Tool Truck stopping by the shops to show you the latest and greatest. Snap-On, Mac, and Matco.
So you had a rolling account with each, usually paid each of them between $20 and $30 a week, so thats what... $80- $120 per month for EACH truck? Multiply that times 3 trucks...

DAMN, no wonder I was always broke!

Lol, yup just paid my $50 to both mac and matco today. Same time next week?

Got the second layer of glazing putty onto the tank. Sanding with 400, 600, and 800 tomorrow and then she'll be ready for primer. Badge recesses obviously filled in and I took care of a few bumps and bruises while I was there.

Sorry for the poor quality pics. Normal camera is out of batteries.

Attachments

• 2013-05-02 001.JPG
    2013-05-02 001.JPG
    775.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 2013-05-02 002.JPG
    2013-05-02 002.JPG
    738.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 2013-05-02 003.JPG
    2013-05-02 003.JPG
    748.4 KB · Views: 219
Yeah, that works. <G>
I wet sand the primer with 400 before putting on color. I wet sand the color with 600 before clear. Wet sand clear with 800 then 1200 before buffing.

I'm just using the 400 because that's what I have in the shop right now. I don't feel like running to the store to save me a couple of minutes on sanding. :p

Sonreir said:
Seeing that shelf has added another thing to my to do list.

I use these - then you can carry them with you:

$(KGrHqZ,!qYFEy1YLcwQBRchSMjFGg~~60_12.JPG

http://compare.ebay.com/like/321095082884?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Back
Top Bottom