82 GS1100 vintage street fighter? modern cafe? who the F knows....

cobraace2 said:
Looking good you cant go wrong with a big suzzi ;D Hey what are you doing with the re5 I could use some parts 8)

ha!the RE5 is actually my room mates, has been sitting long enough though idk if he'd notice parts missing lol.

Dane, yes, I don't plan on keeping them long, things are rediculously small. this is a "get the damn thing on the road asap" move. the stock box was all rotted out so I had to do something, and this was a very cheap something. When I actually do get around to building the engine it will get a set of k&n's

The Jed said:
ha!the RE5 is actually my room mates, has been sitting long enough though idk if he'd notice parts missing lol.

Dane, yes, I don't plan on keeping them long, things are rediculously small. this is a "get the damn thing on the road asap" move. the stock box was all rotted out so I had to do something, and this was a very cheap something. When I actually do get around to building the engine it will get a set of k&n's
Does your your friend want to sell it 8) I need that bike ;D

I've got an 81' GS1000G in my barn waiting for I don't know what yet. Looking forward to watching your build.

btw gk, i finally made my way over to the cheap pod thread, thanks for the informative heads up. I went and checked and yes i'm going to have the same problem. but I already painted them and can't return them and since i'm being cheap I already figured out a minor work around. I can get a length of 2.25 hose fairly cheap to extend them out a couple inches the give the ports some breathing room. cant say i really trust the idea of cutting the lip off and gluing them back together.

aaaaaand, looks like the starter crapped out. considering doing my first starter rebuild, any suggestions or direction?

thanks! was actually looking at their new starters, but figured since i'm trying to get this on the road for cheap, i might as well cut my teeth on starter rebuilds.

The Jed said:
btw gk, i finally made my way over to the cheap pod thread, thanks for the informative heads up. I went and checked and yes i'm going to have the same problem. but I already painted them and can't return them and since i'm being cheap I already figured out a minor work around. I can get a length of 2.25 hose fairly cheap to extend them out a couple inches the give the ports some breathing room. cant say i really trust the idea of cutting the lip off and gluing them back together.

Gotta thank Kop and some others for the write up. I am just another benefit from the information. If you still have the rubber velocity stacks you can use the as an extension (I think FIX on here has done this mod) Will extend the pod past the slide llift ports ETC as well as smooth the air flow out. I have heard good things about this method and would be the best way to go from my understanding.

Gary

unfortunately I do not, everything about that airbox was junk. no worries though, it's very simple to remake.

Finally had a little time to get some things done on the bike today. I pulled the tank and carbs, I'm really not even comfortable calling what I found in them "fuel" soooooo much rust in it. Tank will get drained and cleaned later this week and hopefully carbs will get completely cleaned and ready to go over the weekend.

Pulled of the starter to get it cleaned and rebuilt. Hoping the brushes are the problem since they still looked good and are about 1/8th inch from the wear marks.

I hacked about 3/4 of the oem mufflers off, gave it a nice look and I'm sure will be pretty loud now. I got curious so i ran up the the bathroom to weigh the behemoths I just severed from rear of the pipes.....10 POUNDS!!! between them. I'll get some picks after I slap some high temp paint on and put it all back on the bike. I'm just going to stick with this until I build the exhaust I ant over the winter.

Still need to check valve clearances and wrap up some electrical work too, but it's finally getting there.

I'm hoping to have it back on the road sometime next week. we'll see how many issues decide to show themselves.

anybody fancy a nice dark home brewed ale?
fuel_zps4c025783.jpg

yeah, that's the fuel from raining my tank to clean it.....and yes, the bottom is darker, there was that much sediment after less than two minutes sitting. could be why the bike didn't run well......

if you thought the fine brown ale that was brewing in my tank looked tasty, let me show you my process...
tank2_zps849d976f.jpg

this is just baffling, I guess the kid i bought it from figured he would stick the spray gun in the tank and pull the trigger to get rid of the rust?
flakes_zpse095cbaf.jpg

sometimes I play this game, it's called "I win!" I really feel like I should win a prize for this one....yes, this came out of my tank...
wtf_zps9390385b.jpg

The ratchet is in the pics for size comparison, it wasn't in the tank. And my gutter now looks like mars, either my bike is gods own steed or it has a flux capacitor, no other explanation for how this thing ran before. That was just after shaking a chain around in it and flushing it with a hose for a while.

There is more in there and i will give it another chaining and flushing tomorrow, then seal it up and load it with vinegar.

Man, after all that came out, I'd be surprised if you don't have some pretty thin spots in the metal.

that's actually all paint, no idea how he got that much in there unless he actually stuck the gun in there and sprayed. and yes, after that massive chunk of epoxy(?) came out, i'll be stripping it bare and checking it out.

Maybe it is KREME. Like the PO decided to Kreme the tank and used too much and the big chunks came out of the bottom of the tank that was left to hang so all the extra dried in big chunks.

possible I suppose, does KREME go on that thin though? all these flakes look like paint.

That looks like a failed KREME or Red-Kote liner. You're going to need to use something a little stronger to get that stuff out.

beat it up with a chain again and flushed it today, pretty sure all the flakes are out, so tomorrow i'll get it sealed up and fill it with vinegar and get some caswell ordered.

Back
Top Bottom