'81 CB750k Tracker - Build #3

Some progress today.

Made up some muffler supports.

Then pulled the engine and began disassembly.

Then this happened. It seems like it was cross threaded at some point, should be fun getting this out...

At least it was a nice day.

How's that heater working for you? Kanticoy grabbed one recently and was happy with it. It is currently 3 degrees Fahrenheit in my garage, which is very cold.

Rich Ard said:
How's that heater working for you? Kanticoy grabbed one recently and was happy with it. It is currently 3 degrees Fahrenheit in my garage, which is very cold.

It's pretty good. My garage is decently insulated, so that helps. The only downfall is that it's not very efficient, but it does throw a lot of heat.

I've been making progress on the engine, but nothing pic worthy. Mostly scrubbing, degreasing and scraping old gaskets...blah. I have the engine painted and the cylinders honed and ready for the new rings. I did manage to take a few pics along the way.

The pistons looked pretty gummed up, but they cleaned up nice.

And the cylinders are perfect.

Z1enterprises.com are awesome. They had hard to find parts, amazing prices and super fast shipping.

Also a new addition to the shop.

Lots of frustration today, but a lot of progress.

Earlier in the build I had a bolt break off in the cylinder head. log story short; the extraction didnt go well. I had to cut away a mangled piece of the head.

I was able to then weld to the remaining bit of stuck bolt and remove it. The only solution then was to stack tig beads and drill/tap to form a new post. Its not the prettiest, but it should be just fine.

Great build. Following this one.

Seat leather or vinyl?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in posts, but I have been working on the bike. Most of the work lately has been mind-numbing cleaning and re-finishing but here are some highlights:

Media blasted and sprayed a lot of parts.

Finished the engine.

Sand blasted and painted the fram, swingarm and motor mounts.

Laced up some fresh wheels and converted the rear wheel from 17" to 18".

With some luck the engine will be in tomorrow, and I'll begin final assembly.

Back
Top Bottom