Here I go again '81 750Ltd H2 Roller...kinda Thinking I might go "Industrial"

Nope, but now that you mention it, Donald would've been a good choice. The artist, whoever they were, painted the view of Mickey reading the spellbook that got everything started onto the end of the duck bill. Shame of it was, they used enamel for the spellbook, which made a cool texture, but one side of the book popped off.

Same idea, but for the '76 KZ900.

Yeah, I know, that seat is screwed up. The one on my gf's bike still has the original upholstery, and believe me when I tell you it's drop dead gorgeous. First thing people comment about on the bike. I want to keep this thing on the cheap, but I have some serious seat envy, and I'll probably find a good upholsterer to re-cover it close to the original style.

Yup, was a huge Disney nut as a kid, and I guess I never lost it. Old school stuff, though, like from the 20's through to the 70's, I guess. Fantasia and such. Hell, if I could get some "badass" Balloo or Tramp tins I'd probably drill myself into the ground with a huge grin out of sheer happy. I really dig some fun with my cool.

We've all got our guilty pleasures, I guess, welcome to mine. ;)

Yep. She ain't pretty. Might not get there, either. Gonna make her my rough rider, quick, dirty and fun.

Been going back and forth with a guy in the States, Minneapolis or Iowa, I think. He's just a treasure trove of parts and knowledge. Super nice guy, too. Got my airbox boots lined up, and I'll be cherry picking about a half dozen sets of handlebars, as well. Give me a bit of a selection, see what I like to ride with, you never really know until you try them out, right? Yeah, that's what I'll tell the gf when a crate full of handlebars shows up, "It's research baby". Still like the Renthals, but may the best bars win!

Had a kind donation of cans from Desmo. Got the boots and handlebars lined up, new grips in hand. New fuel line and clamps on the way, as well as exhaust gaskets and an inline fuel filter. Throttle cable on the way, too. New headlight in the shop. I have a spare new Vee rubber tire that I can put on the back for now, not a thrilling prospect but it'll do, Donkey.
Picked up some more Pine Sol, Evaporust, Seafoam fogger, Seafoam Deep Creep and WD40. So let the 2014 disassembly and cleaning games commence!

Which, I guess, means it's time for the revised shopping list:
Battery
Chain & Sprocket
Tires?
Overflow and re-breather lines and clamps
Brake pads, (Kawasaki.com doesn't list the '81 750 Ltd, gotta figure out if this thing uses the same pads F&R)
Filters
Reupholster the seat

There seems to be something screwy with the airbox and I'm still worried about that front end, but I'll know better once I get it torn down. Just not a lot of time during tax season. :mad:

Let me know if you grab a a huge box of handle bars it would be half the price to ship the pipes inside the US and if someone else is filling up a box for you these could go in too....also i may have a spare 750 air box kicking around....brake pads are the same i think and z1 enterprises.com has everything not all of it is the best prices tho so buyer beware

Thanks Desmo, I'll see if he's up for it. If anyone else is looking for bits, this guy's been wrenching for around 20 yrs. Got quite the accumulation, around 50-60 bikes, I think he said, and the assorted parts that build up over time. Tons of levers, pedals, starter motors, front ends, swing arms, wheels, etc. As luck would have it, he's just not really stocked on a whole lot of what I need. Got some bikes for sale, too, including a B model KZ750 that I'd make an offer on if I were closer.

He's doing Spring Cleaning and really easy to work with. I can pass along his contact info, just shoot me an email.

Looks like the tank might be a no-go, the forks are going to beat the hell out of the tank, unless I can move it back a bit. Not sure how that's going to affect comfort reaching the handlebars. I'd have to do some modifications, seat-wise as well, which isn't necessarily the worst thing in the word. I'll mess around with it when I get some time.

Anyone know offhand if a 750 B model 4 into 1 exhaust will work with the Ltd frame, as in, will it fit, would I have to remove the centre stand? I've got a line on a replacement exhaust, but Kawasaki.com doesn't list it as compatible with my bike. However the info on there isn't always "complete", just because a certain style wasn't used on some models doesn't mean they won't fit, (Spectre mufflers, etc.) if anyone's got the skinny on this, please let me know.

Demmit, finally got some sun up here, all I want to do is work on the bikes, but I'm going to have to head into the office soon. Doesn't help that the demon-child downstairs hasn't let me get a full night's sleep in 8 months, kinda hoping that once I get a chance to fire up the tools on a regular basis, the neighbours will find more suitable accommodations for their little bi-hourly foghorn, (grumble grumble).

fairly certain most parts from a spectre and ltd are compatible. check with the guys at kzrider.com though, they'll know for sure.

Thanks for the tip JR. I know the Spectre parts will work, I was using them as an example, to illustrate that Kawasaki.com's info isn't always complete. I'm on KZR as well, running dual threads for this project.
The Seller of the 4into1 isn't very savvy on the old KZ's, and I'm having a hard time getting info from him, he's not crazy about the idea of shipping to Canada.

Take a vacation stateside and order up all your parts....with the money you save on shipping you could grab another bike.....when i saw how much it was to ship the pipes, i was pretty pissed free and $50 dont jive well

In a perfect world Desmo...

I'd have to set up a mail drop, and pay a monthly fee to get it, then go get the stuff , which would mean ferry fees and gas, at the very least, not to mention the hassle of customs and having them assess duty on everything.
I'd like to have the bike on the road by the end of April, and there aren't going to be any vacations for me during tax season.

Yeah Desmo, the thing is, that it would have to be someone out West here. It costs more to ship something in From the East side of my own country now then it does to just order from the States. My gov't sucks.

That being said, I just got raped by UPS to the tune of US $117 to ship in a replacement Vance & Hines, that I only paid $50 for. And let's not forget the extra-special broker fees when it gets here. :mad:

The seller, can't break it down, and I don't want him to kill it trying. And I want this thing up and running relatively quickly, so it's bend over Killman time. At least he's throwing a full airbox assembly into the crate for free.

Just spitballing here, but I've got these ideas rolling around, and I want to get them down somewhere useful.

My side covers are for shit. More of that freakin' black paint that they brushed on everywhere, with a random spray of orange on one, thrown in for contrast I guess.
So, I'm thinking the Hell with it, just get rid of them and do something funky. Got a few what-if's. Wondering whether I could find some brass, or copper mesh, edge it with some windscreen trim and use some kind of cool fasteners to anchor it to the original mounting points. If I can't find any coloured stuff, I could always paint it. I'd want something fine enough to keep rain from just pouring across the electrical, not sure how feasible that would be.
Or, maybe I could scrounge up some pieces of brass, or copper somewhere, (random items from garage sales, scrap heaps at a construction site, or maybe a dumpster behind a certain kind of business) cut them to fit, and etch them with some sort of design, then try to clear coat them without ruining the finish. Or if I do a good enough job, get them powder-coated. Maybe it would be cheaper to just have a piece of sheet metal brass or copper plated and work from there. I ordered a book on sheet metal fabrication recently, and I'm hoping it will give some direction on how to work with the metals, to shape them properly. Not sure where the best place to scrounge materials would be, I just think it could be a cool mini-project that I could keep on the cheap.
*Edit: The gf just finished telling me how she copper-plated nails for a school project once. Maybe I could buy, or set up, some kind of cheap plating rig. Hell, then I could theoretically zinc plate fasteners and stuff. Worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom