The "Bakersfield Bunch" pre-build

CALfeRacer

Fat man on a little bike
Well, this weekend I became the proud(?) owner of a 71 CB350, a 78 CB400T, a 82 CM250, and a 19?? CL90. For cheap too. I was originally planning on there just being a parts bike for my CB250, the CM. But when I got there, I found quite a few more bikes. I figured I could part out the 400 and 250, then build the 350 over time (AKA once I get a job...). And the 90 was free, so why not take it. I've always liked Honda 90s. After having them for a couple days, I'm still trying to decide what to do. I figure I would throw something up to get some opinions, then create separate build threads for what bikes I decide to keep and build.
Anyways, back to the bikes. The 350 had the bottom end sitting half in the frame, with the tank sitting on it outside. I managed to find the seat and the top end minus points cover, cam, and rocker arms inside a barn. Cylinders are a little dusty, but completely smooth. Yay! Bottom end is another story. I decided to take the engine out of the frame to make fitting it in the back of my truck with 3 other bikes easier. Long story short, a bunch of water poured out of the stator... So friday I'll be going down to the shop to tear the bottom end apart (half the damn screws are stripped) and see what I have, but the output shaft does spin freely, so the transmission isn't TOTALLY frozen. It is by far in the worst shape of all the bikes (minus the 90). Problem is, that's the one bike I really want. Like REALLY bad. Seeing cool CB350s is pretty much what first drew me in to the Cafe style, and DTT in general.
Next is the CB400. Engine looks to be in good shape, even though it was stored with no carbs, who knows where they went. It didn't have a tank, but I managed to find the seat for it inside. Since this bike is in good shape and I want a bigger bike, I am tempted to try to fix it up and turn it in to a bike that I can take on longer trips with a few custom touches. Or, I could tear it apart and sell all of the parts off it to make $$$. But, that will take a lot of time and effort.
The CM250 I plan on getting up and running, then selling. Since it is in the best shape of the 3 I'm not too worried about it. Carb is free, cables work, tires hold air, and tank looks good. Problem is it needs a key made, new battery, grips, and a tune up. Probably a carb clean too. Oh, and it came with a spare engine too. Score.
The 90... not sure where to go with that! I'd like to someday swap a Lifan 125 in to it, but that would be a long way off, since the bike is basically a frame and suspension as it sits now.
So, if anyone is still around after that long a** read I'm curious to hear what you guys think about this all. Suggestions are always welcome, if I didn't want any I wouldn't post anything here. ;)
Thanks as always, and have a good night!

Re: The "Bakersfield Bunch" pre-build

Here are the pics of the 4 in my truck, and the 350 as it sat.
qabyse3u.jpg
epebypym.jpg

The CB400 kicks over easily, I'm assuming this would mean the engine is in at least running shape? This is really bugging me, the bike that I was originally just going to part out is the one that I want to do a build out of the most right now, since the CB350 is so far off, and I want a bigger bike than my 250. Seems like Buying a tank and carbs for the 400 then tooling around on it for a while would be a better way to go, and tearing the 350 down to nothing and saving it for the future. Decisions, decisions.

Spent about 5 hours today tearing down the 350 engine. Between half of the side cover screws being stripped, the cam chain being rusty and hard to move, the clutch side leaking ooze from when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and one of the pistons being rusted to the pin, and my lack of Honda specific tools, I didn't finish. But, I did find out that the cam gear on the crank is in good shape, and that everything spins free and easy. Looking in to the bottom from the clutch side it looks pretty good, just some dirty oil/goo sitting down there. No rust though. Crank and the area around it are dirty, so my plan to split the cases will go forward. Tomorrow I'm taking it in to the shop to have them pull of the generator and Locknut on the Oil Filter. I think I'll rebuild the engine now, then wait to do the rest of the bike until I have more spare change laying around.
I'm going to tear the master cylinder apart on the 400, and continue figuring out how much it'll take to bring back. I'm thinking about potentially doing a minor build on it, with a comfy seat and chopped fender so it'll look better but be able to go on longer trips.
I should be getting a storage unit tomorrow, so hopefully I can unload them all and get the 250 running and ready for sale. Everything looks good, should just need a tune up, battery, and a good clean to be ready to go.

While out taking some pictures of the 400 at the storage unit, I noticed the bottom of the 350 frame looks funny... I think it's bent. Here are a couple pics, if anyone could confirm that it would be very appreciated. If it is bent, am I SOL or can I fix it? Thanks!
dujegese.jpg

Does that sit right under the motor, or is that the swing arm? Cause if it is under the motor, my frame is just the same way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AngryGingerKid said:
Does that sit right under the motor, or is that the swing arm? Cause if it is under the motor, my frame is just the same way.

Oh yeah, I never followed up on this... After some frantic research on 350 frames I found out that all was well. Progress is slowly continuing on the 350, as it is mostly in the planning, budgeting, and designing phase. Really want to do this one right.

Oh yeah, the 400 and 250 are both stripped to bare frames being parted out. DMV issues have made these getting titled impossible. Oh well, more time to focus on building the 350! :D

Good to hear. Ready to see more from these bad boys.

Thanks! I think the 90 will be something that happens quite a while off, it just needs so much. As in basically everything... But the 350 is the bike that got me in to cafe racers so I want to do it right, and be able to keep it for a long time. Hopefully selling parts for the 400 and 250 can help me fund part of it. I'll probably put up a thread once some more has happened on the 350, and post the link here. Sadly, I won't be working on it from mid June to early September, as I'll be back home from college.

Back
Top Bottom