Dynatek coils 5 v 3

quadracer351

Coast to Coast
About to purchase the dynatek ignition system and coils. Just wanted to know what difference if any would I see with the 3ohm coils compared to the 5ohm coils. The bike is 1974 cb750 bored bored out to 811cc. I'm seeing a few different packages for around $260 that come with the 3ohm coils for my bike but if I'll see a difference between the 2 I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks more for the 5ohm. Any help greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Three Ohm really only shine when you're also running an electronic ignition. Be aware that the three Ohm coils will pull a lot more power. I'd also swap over to HID or LED headlight if you're planning on using the threes.

" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Sonreir said:
Three Ohm really only shine when you're also running an electronic ignition. Be aware that the three Ohm coils will pull a lot more power. I'd also swap over to HID or LED headlight if you're planning on using the threes.
Already have led all around. I'm assuming the 5ohms would pull more power? I'm also replacing the points with dynatek while I'm at it.

quadracer351 said:
Already have led all around. I'm assuming the 5ohms would pull more power? I'm also replacing the points with dynatek while I'm at it.

Other way around. The three Ohm coils will pull more power, but will also deliver a better spark.

Think it will be okay to use with led taillight, indicators and headlight, with the upgraded ignition and this lithium battery?

Probably.

You can test once you get it all back together.

With the bike turned off, measure voltage between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Next, start the bike up and let it idle. Repeat the measurement. Ideally, you want a slightly higher voltage.

final question before I'm all done with the coils, the kit came with the dynatek spark plug wires but I was looking at getting accel wires because of the color yellow they come in. Just wanted to know if there solid core graphite rf1 suppressed 7mm wire would be okay with the coils, ignition, and ngk caps?
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/acc-3010acc

Back
Top Bottom