TU250X Brat/Whatever....

dave231

Just getting started on the TU. I only have a small mod list, fortunately being a new bike I don't have to re-do
the whole bike.

Widen the front wheel to a 2.5 (matching the rear).
4.00 x 18's Front and Rear.
Custom seat.
Exhaust.
Lower the suspension.
Handlebars.
Re-do all the lights.
Paint!
.....and some small misc crap.

More pics as I go, want to be finished in a few weeks.

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

David

I think this might be the first of these on the site being modified - we're just discussing this bike's potential at the moment!

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=35173.0

Hey Tim,
I read that post also. The bike is a lot of fun to ride, a bit under powered though. I swapped the pipe and that
seemed to help some but I need to richen it up now since its a little too lean. I'll get back to that once it is on the road
again.

Sent the seat off the be recovered today and I should have my wheel and tires in next week!

David

Saw them in the showroom and I think it has a ton of potential maybe underpowered but I think it will be over fun.

Made some progress this weekend.

New rear tire.
IMG_0602.jpg

Tail light mounted. If you look close you can see the limiters I put on the shocks inside the springs.
IMG_0601.jpg

Inner fender.
IMG_0612.jpg

Tag bracket.
IMG_0611.jpg

Primed body work and the original seat just to take a look. Paint tonight!
IMG_0613.jpg

David

This is awesome! I will waiting impatiently for updates on this as I have a TU 250x too and would love to make a few of these mods (I don't really have any mechanical skills so don't want to attempt anything too drastic). But I think the handle bars and maybe the pipe make a world of difference in getting that cafe racer look.

Keep up the good work and keep posting :)

I took my first ride last night! While I was fairly giddy to ride around on the new look I must say the Firestones
will take a while to get comfortable on.

They are not nearly as bad as some of the complaints I have read but certainly not a very good performer
either.

Life is a trade off, on this bike the look is worth the lack of performance and steering feel.

David

I finished the seat. The trim shop said it would be another 3 weeks so I went and got it. I am
somewhat happy with it, may change it later.

image-1.jpg

image1-1.jpg

The TU250 is the SR Yamaha of this decade. Shame the market in the U.S. prevents other manufactures from bringing simular small UJM bikes here that they only sell elseware. Pretty unique outta the box and very easy to get that Tracker/ Cafe look with a basic seat and tailpiece mod. Well done dave231! 8) Anything in the area of turn sigs and trim around the back of seat coming up? Would like to see pic of license plate. Tell us something about about the muffler and do you have any rethoughs on using the Fireslide rubber? Thanks.

longboy said:
The TU250 is the SR Yamaha of this decade. Shame the market in the U.S. prevents other manufactures from bringing simular small UJM bikes here that they only sell elseware. Pretty unique outta the box and very easy to get that Tracker/ Cafe look with a basic seat and tailpiece mod. Well done dave231! 8) Anything in the area of turn sigs and trim around the back of seat coming up? Would like to see pic of license plate. Tell us something about about the muffler and do you have any rethoughs on using the Fireslide rubber? Thanks.

Hey Longboy,
I've owned large and small bore bikes and I wish there was a better offering here in the states as well. The bike was very easy to get the look I was after. I actually didn't cut a single thing on the bike!

The stock taillight only had one bulb so when I did the relocation I used a Katana dual bulb unit. That allowed me to wire in an integrator. Now it is a taillight/turn signal in one.

I think I have a pic of the license bracket I built, I'll try to find it.

I used a Harley Screaming Eagle muffler because I had it laying around. My machining buddy made a sleeve to adapt
down to the smaller pipe and I built a hanger since I removed the passenger pegs. It actually sounds great! It will stay around for a while. All the repop Dunstalls I have heard on these bikes sound tinny to me, this has a deeper tone (for a 250 anyway).

The Firestones are whole thread of their own! ;D They are the best looking vintage tire out there by far but I don't think I'll own another set. I've had some out of round issues that a re p*****g me off!

Thanks!

OK I'm resurrecting this - dave231 I saw you're still kicking around so want to see some updates!

I'm keenly interested as it looks like I'm picking up a 2011 TU250 here in Canada on Friday as my wife's first bike. I'm building her a 1966 Honda CA95 150 but she wants something 'reliable' whatever that means ;) I have a feeling it means she doesn't need me to fix something every time she wants to go for a ride.

Re: Re: TU250X Brat/Whatever....

Tim said:
OK I'm resurrecting this - dave231 I saw you're still kicking around so want to see some updates!

I'm keenly interested as it looks like I'm picking up a 2011 TU250 here in Canada on Friday as my wife's first bike. I'm building her a 1966 Honda CA95 150 but she wants something 'reliable' whatever that means ;) I have a feeling it means she doesn't need me to fix something every time she wants to go for a ride.

No, it means she wants a BMW!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dave 231 were you able to use the stock rims on both the front and back with the Firestone tires? I know the front is 2.15 and rear is 2.50 wide the tires i want to put on my tu250x are the firestone delux chamion blackwall 450-18 it fits a 2.15 wide rim thanks. Jay

dave231 said:
I finished the seat. The trim shop said it would be another 3 weeks so I went and got it. I am
somewhat happy with it, may change it later.

3 weeks for a seat!! I got mine done in 3 hours

Back
Top Bottom