Turbo kz650!! Part rat, part cafe, part... Peterbilt?!?

I can dig it!
The only thing I'm on the fence about is the headlight...

But, what turbo is that?
I like the open wastegate. It should scream!

It looks like a K03 except for the two bolt flange on the inlet side of the turbo, no doubt it's gonna be a pretty quick bike!!

I'm also curious to what turbo it is because you can't really adjust the boost on an internally waste gated turbo, I hope it's the amount of boost you want to run.

The model # on it is VZ21. A direct knock off of an IHI RHB31 as far as i can tell identical specs.. actually thought i was buying the IHI when i ordered it, but i didn't read the fine print- what do you expect on the fleBay? The IHI RHB31 is made primarily for application in a japanese car, a Seiko 650. The engine is 650cc, which is why i thought it would be a great fit for my bike. THe seiko use the turbo more for gas mileage, but also to get a bit of power out of such a tiny car.. I could probably get higher peak hp out of a bigger turbo at a higher rpm, but i figure this little guy will spool up almost immediately, which will be nice for just tooling the corners. To that end, I will only be running about 8 pounds of boost. The wastegate is a pressed together sealed job with an internal spring set up for a bar of boost (14psi). I will buy a different wastegate for a lower threshold and replace the entire assembly. I could also get one of the adjustable setups, which would be cool cause i could mess with the waste threshold from about 5psi up to a bar. Right now the wastegate's setup strictly for 14psi, however, and will need to be replaced.

Long time no post, sorry guys I've been preoccupied with work. Until last week that is, when i broke my foot and now I can't work. Sucks, but at least ive got more wrench time ;D The weather's been so nice I've been itching to ride, so I think I'm going to try and get her together and running N/A for now, and then dive into the turbo setup as a phase 2 over the fall/winter. I picked up a welder and started checking some things off my to do- got the swingarm modified to accept the drum brake setup of the spoke wheel from the B model, and working on seat mounts and a pan so I can start upholstering this week. Heres a pic

Attachments

• 20120519152104.jpg
    20120519152104.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 20120519152049.jpg
    20120519152049.jpg
    636.9 KB · Views: 342
Very interesting, I'm glad you have gone this way with your seat! that other 1 looked way to small, more for a bobber....... looking forward to more of this build.

Back
Top Bottom