1971 CB500/4... an evolution...

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I have a full build thread over at the SOHC4 forums, but thought you guys might enjoy this, too.

Back in March of 2010, I was talking to some co-workers about a couple of bikes I just sold. One of them let slip "I oughta get rid of that old Honda in the barn...".

Me (ears perking up like a puppy): "Old Honda? What kind of old Honda?"
Him: A 500. It's been sitting for almost 30 years. I broke a triple tree clamp and parked it.
Me: Twin or four?
Him: A four?
Me: Title?
Him: Yes.
Me: Does the engine turn over?
Him: Oh yeah...I kick it over every time I go out to my Dad's barn.
Me: How much?
Him (shrugging): $300?
Me: I'll take it.
Him: Don't you want to see pics or come look at it?
Me: Nope.

A few days later, he delivered this to my house, with a good title, for $300.

I'll spare you all the gory details, but after repairing the triple tree and rebuilding the carbs FOUR times, I ended up with this:

That's a rattle can/Spraymax 2K paint job that I did in the garage. Too bad the tank had a leak at the seam that I could repair. :mad:

Another tank and I was riding her:

Next up came a respray in Japan market silver with CB450 Super Sport stripes.

Then came 400F footpegs, shifter, brake lever and a 550F kicker to give me rear sets using factory parts.

And here she is as of this morning. Paint matched the seat, installed a Danmoto digital dash, engine swap, fork upgrades, new swingarm bushings, etc.

This sucker is FAST. I'm not kidding guys and gals....63HP in a 400lb. package. She moves on down the road.

Super clean man looks like it rolled off the factory floor all badass like that!

Some fresh pics from yesterday. Put ~115 miles on her with no issues; no leaks, charging properly, pulls like a train and I got 48 mpg. So far, I've seen 95 mph and it was still pulling HARD. This thing will Do The Ton and then some.

Back
Top Bottom