Kick start shaft Help please

plyzo

1970 Honda CL 350
I am not sure what this problem could be other than it might be the actual gears inside that are stripped. Check out this video of mine showing the problem. Basically when I turn the kick start shaft quickly it just slips but when I go slow it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn7b2yqTRj4

Do I have to split the case in order to fix this problem? I have never done it before so worried its going to be a nightmare.

This is just an educated guess, but you can hear the clutch teeth clicking back when you return the lever to the start position and it does work, albeit only when you turn it slowly, so that indicates that the clutch teeth are fine. There's a spring that keeps the clutch teeth enmeshed and it sounds like that spring is either broken or very week. The spring I'm talking about is #4 on this fiche:

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2448849&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1970&fveh=131031

The bad news is that you'll have to split the case to get to it, and the part is no longer available from Honda.

Ya in neutral and hand off the clutch. Sounds like i just need to take this engine apart. I am need to work on the top end so might as well split the case.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

While this is a CB360 in the pick, the kick start is similar.

There is a spring a washer that provides friction....When the shaft is rotated, it causes the piece with the teeth to engage to other teeth. Since when you go slow, it engages, it is likely not the teeth, but the spring and washers that resist rotation so the pawl engages.......though I wouldn't rule the teeth being damages either.

Attachments

• Kick Starter Pawl.jpg
    Kick Starter Pawl.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 171
Thanks that was the kind of pic I was hoping someone would post for me. Seems like I need to take this apart and inspect. Will post pics when I get it torn down. Right now just trying to get the bike running to make sure all gears are good.

Probably a stuck pressure plate...but if the kick start isn't working 6 out of 7 times, that needs to be addresses first....The clutch may work better after he takes it off and splits the cases.

Clutch is definitely an issue...may be adjustment or stuck cable/linkage...

without the clutch grabbing and forcing/requiring the kicker mech to fully mesh ?..
i dunno i would try it with a locked up
fully engaged clutch first before teardown just fer, cause it is easy to do

I finally was able to split the case and take a look. The pinion gear and ratchet both look good. How can I tell if the spring is any good? Looks normal to me but maybe I need to get a new one since it might not have that much resistance.

If your clutch was slipping that was your issue.
The kicker engages the clutch gear. When you push it slowly there is little force on the clutch and it kicks through. When you go fast there is a larger force over a shorter time and the clutch can't hold.

It's not the clutch. I believe it might be the springs in the kick start shaft cause the gears themselves looked good.

Back
Top Bottom