CB360 Maintenance

Redliner said:
That is your rectifier. Your regulator will look like a very small snuff tin or rounded box.

Here is a shot from the other side. The regulator is not wired in, was never wired as I recently found out. So I'm hoping the rectifier also regulates....

I've also attached a pic of the battery from the top. To me looks like it's been leaking, but I'm, not sure if that has always been like that or is a result of no regulator. Also thought I would disconnect the battery +'ve while running and check the voltage on the cable (not the battery) but I don't want to damage the rest of the circuit if there is no regulator and too much voltage is allowed without the battery pulling it down.

Cheers

Attachments

• cb360 R & R left side.jpg
    cb360 R & R left side.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 285
  • cb360 battery.jpg
    cb360 battery.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 440
Rectifier just rectifies, you could have damaged the battery without the regulator in circuit

Don't listen to PJ. The overflowing acid and strong smell of hydrogen just means it's ready. You know, they plump when you cook 'em!

crazypj said:
Rectifier just rectifies, you could have damaged the battery without the regulator in circuit

Dumb question from an idiot now... I know how to wire this up according to the wiring diagram. But where on the existing wiring harness is the connection for the regulator normally located? When I was looking around (My wife tells me I never look very hard) I didn't see any unused connectors. I could connect this to the rectifier wires but want to keep this as stock as possible.

Cheers and thanks.

The regulator wires are really well hidden behind battery box if I remember right?
Mydlifcryzis would know, he's had an almost completely stock 360 since 1977 or so 8)

Thanks for the feedback on the r/r crazypj and Redliner.

Any idea if that airfilter should be replaced?

Filters probably need changing.
They are paper based, the fibers swell up due to water vapor in the air over time and restrict airflow.
As I said earlier, try running bike with filters removed but covers fitted.
If plugs clean up or you get lean miss-fire (won't happen until about 7,000rpm) you know filters are restricting airflow

I'm not an expert, but I replaced my stock regulator and rectifier with a combo unit from Sparck Moto (see left column friends of DTT) and it solved my charging related problems. You should probably replace the battery as well. Also, my filters look similar to yours, and are probably restricting air flow. I put cheap Uni filters on mine as I found them locally, but have not had a chance to do test runs yet.

crazypj said:
The regulator wires are really well hidden behind battery box if I remember right?
Mydlifcryzis would know, he's had an almost completely stock 360 since 1977 or so 8)

Well, I am using a Sparkmoto R/R and a PAMCO E-advance ignition at the moment. 8) The 2 most troublesome parts of a vintage Honda is the voltage regulation and points system. So I concede to modernism for that side of the bike.

The stock regulator was usually mounted on top of the tool box, on the left side. The 3 wires (Red, Green Yellow) run from the top of the frame on the left, down the rear plastic fender, to the tool box. The wires and connections are easiest to see if you remove the left air filter and airbox.

Who can blame ya? It's so EASY to maintain electronic pickups it's stupid. Same thing with tires. Modern tires give these bikes performance they never had before.

I grew up on points in my cars. May they rest in peace. A reliable electronic ignition is a thing of beauty. My first e-ignition car was a 1980 Datsun 210. Even after 100K miles, the ignition was working perfectly, timing exactly right on.

I used Blue Streak all copper base, silver content points and they still needed adjustment constantly to keep the timing spot on. Points start wearing out the minute you start the engine.

Some improvements are real improvements. Tires, Ignition, and regulators are at the top of that list.

points aren't THAT bad ::) i had to go back to points and they do require checking every oil change but i can live with that
i loved the pamco but it finally gave up the gohst left me stranded
i have been looking at adapting a dyna off a goldwing

I just put a Goldwing dyna S on a CB500t. Easy as... with some modification.

I'll admit, points won't leave you stranded. There's too many ways to bandage them. But my PC800 has yet to cause one single gripe :p

Redliner said:
I just put a Goldwing dyna S on a CB500t. Easy as... with some modification.

I'll admit, points won't leave you stranded. There's too many ways to bandage them. But my PC800 has yet to cause one single gripe :p

yeah i keep looking for a decent deal on fleabay
a already am running dyna coils and adapting the advancer should be simple

Back
Top Bottom