CL200 Engine Rebuild

1sttimer

Over 1,000 Posts
I picked up a CL200 in order to snag the engine and rebuild it as a spare or backup to my current CB175 motor. Plans are to keep the bottom end unchanged (besides a rebuild - binding and clicking), an overbore up top, new pistons and rings, mild porting, valve seating and potentially a different cam.

This is a learning process. I have never rebuilt a motor, although I have torn them down. I have always farmed out the rebuild once parts were prepped. I want to figure this one out with you guys' help.

That said, here we go.

jyjedeta.jpg

5yse2uzy.jpg

ga4esuby.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys typically like to use to clean up corroded engine cases? I don't want to polish or anything, just smooth down. I've tried "Gunk", steel wool and scotch brite pads. I'm debating just having a soda blaster give it a go.

1sttimer said:
What do you guys typically like to use to clean up corroded engine cases? I don't want to polish or anything, just smooth down. I've tried "Gunk", steel wool and scotch brite pads. I'm debating just having a soda blaster give it a go.
simple green, marvel mystery oil, diesel. Then we sand them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turns out the clicking and sticking is a valve. Opened the cam cover and took a look. When the lobe compresses the right exhaust valve, it locks up on compression. You can overcome it, but then it sticks again on extension once the lobe passes, slams on the lobe surface.

I'll post a video in a few.

1sttimer said:
Turns out the clicking and sticking is a valve. Opened the cam cover and took a look. When the lobe compresses the right exhaust valve, it locks up on compression. You can overcome it, but then it sticks again on extension once the lobe passes, slams on the lobe surface.

I'll post a video in a few.
rust and gunk in your guides. Only one of our heads didn't have stuck valves. Take the head apart and bead blast. We take our dirty valves in and let the race shop dress them and Serdi cut. They will come back spic and span. Just check to see they are in tolerance first. We have yet to find used valves not in tolerance.

Make sure you keep it assembled and block off any entry into the engine before sanding. A wire brush and marvel mystery oil does wonders. You don't want to leave Simple Green on without washing it off for it will darken the aluminum....we keep simple green in our ultrasonic cleaner and just drop parts in to clean and then rinse. It would be nice to drop the compete engine in an ultrasonic cleaner ;)

Texasstar said:
Make sure you keep it assembled and block off any entry into the engine before sanding. A wire brush and marvel mystery oil does wonders. You don't want to leave Simple Green on without washing it off for it will darken the aluminum....we keep simple green in our ultrasonic cleaner and just drop parts in to clean and then rinse. It would be nice to drop the compete engine in an ultrasonic cleaner ;)

I've yet to try marvel but I will do that. The cases are looking rough, really rough but I'd like to keep the bottom end together if I can manage.

First things first, welding a rod to the oil plug so I can break it free and drain the rest of the oil before I flip it upside down.

1sttimer said:
I've yet to try marvel but I will do that. The cases are looking rough, really rough but I'd like to keep the bottom end together if I can manage.

First things first, welding a rod to the oil plug so I can break it free and drain the rest of the oil before I flip it upside down.
we soaked our first 200 in 5 gallons of diesel and 9 quarts marvel mystery oil for two weeks...and used moms garden pump to cycle it through the engine..lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasstar said:
Don't pour metal rescue in the engine lol, nor coke, nor coffee :)

You mentioned you did that in your video. What happened? That's so funny that you guys rigged that up. So clever.

That cruddy guide can easily be sorted out. In fact, you wouldn't even have to take the head off to do so. But I won't get into the "Güdenuff" method.

Those valves and guides are HARD.

Great, now there's two of them ::)

Redliner said:
That cruddy guide can easily be sorted out. In fact, you wouldn't even have to take the head off to do so. But I won't get into the "Güdenuff" method.

Those valves and guides are HARD.

Great, now there's two of them ::)

Is it just gunk in there getting it hung up? Feel like I'm breaking something. I was pretty happy the bottom end is good :)

And speaking of cams and valves, this is the coolest video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsa6kq-qqIE

Back
Top Bottom