CV carb float post fix

twinsorin

Been lurking for a while (years). This is my second post. I apologize for the bad pictures. I also doubt I'm the first one that thought of this. But here it is anyway. I recently got a 1980 GS850 (free from a friend). He'd gotten it several years ago but it sat in his basement as it's one of many projects he has going. Anyway when I hooked fuel to the carb bank I got leaks from the vents. Problem was a broken float post in the #3 carb. Someone had attempted to fix it with epoxy but it didn't hold. It had broken where the pin went through the post. So it left a good stub.

My fix was to get a brass bushing 1/4" x 5/16" x 3/4" and press it onto the stub. I had to file the post a bit but kept a light press fit. Then I drilled a hole in the lower end of the bushing and post to pin the bushing on. The valve seat screw and the bowl keep this pin from coming loose. Then I drilled from the good post through the bushing for the float pin. In order to clear the float bracket I had to file the inner face back to the original dimensions of the post. I had to file the float bracket slightly to compensate for the added material thickness so I had proper float range. Hopefully towards the end of the week I'll have the carb bank back together for a wet test, but as of now everything looks like it will work.

David

Attachments

• 850 carb fix 003.JPG
    850 carb fix 003.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 171
  • 850 carb fix 005.JPG
    850 carb fix 005.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 850 carb fix 006.JPG
    850 carb fix 006.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 166
  • 850 carb fix 007.JPG
    850 carb fix 007.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 159
I broke off two on my first rebuild. let me see if i have a # intact. # 3 from which side are you talking?

Number 3 from the left. It's the one with the idle control mounted on it. I think what I have will work but if you have an intact body I'd certainly be interested.

Thanks David

Back
Top Bottom