1980 XT500 BUILD

Yeah cheers mate.
You think it will still be ok with the clearance I have done

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Looking good! What cam did you end up going with? BTW, I've got an 81 XT500 and love it.

Hey mate, I just replaced with a stock standard cam for now. So I can get the bike back together.

Yeah, I have seen there are a few options for cams. Bottom end/mid range etc. it's a tough one to decide on. What issues do you have with your bike that your looking at buying a new camshaft for?

No issues really, just hoping for more/different power. I've got a high comp piston in it now with a VM36 carb.

Ok great that sounds awesome. Later on I want to put a bit bore kit in. Take it to 600cc. I have heard they really wake up! So later on I will most likely give it that upgrade. Need to do a lot more research before that though.

e82c0d84a6ec78cc3036b9b4cd9f3830.jpg

This is what happens if you run a cam shaft without the guide. The pin isn't strong enough and it will start to brake of. Picked this one out of my newly rebuilt engine after it seized the second time. Hadn't looked at the cam shaft since it looked all right when I installed it. Also it was a pain to get it started since the cam doesn't move like it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Thanks for your input and the photo. Do you think it's a common issue with this engine?

Just Arrived a new headlight and new tiny switch and button for the handlebars.
I will use this switch on the left side of my bars for my indicators and my horn.
I have always wanted to try feeding the wire through the handlebars, so this bike is a good opportunity to do this.

I will update as i go with other electrical bits i will be moving.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 336
Well, to me it looks like a weak construction but it shouldn't have to take any loads to talk about. I've hade this braking down and the ratchet wheel on the kick starter axle. I think that the issue lies more with the fact that we are talking about 35 year old engines that's had several owners over the years. The XT/TT models probably also lived their lives a bit harder than the regular SRs. Over all I think the engines are solid pieces of Japanese engineering and as long as you keep them maintained and don't abuse them to much they are good for well over 100,000 Km. My bike has about 65,000 Km on the clock and the gearbox, clutch and lower end looks good, at least when inspected visually.

Bottom line, if you do take care of your bike it should be around for at least 25 years more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi everyone, I had just put of the new headlight and and starting to play around a bit with the handlebars, to see how everything is going to sit, Turns out my headlight depth is too large, so i need to get longer headlight brackets, because it hits the steering lock when you turn the bars.

Attachments

• IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    694.7 KB · Views: 363
Hello again, Today i was starting to install the wiring loom so i can see if there are any further adjustments i need to make, i also wanted to see if the battery box will fit everything, and its also great to see how the layout should be for the battery and other components.

I have a question for everyone!

Does anyone have any issues with having the rectifier inside the battery box as per the picture. As i do some research some people believe its better to have it on the outside so it can get air.
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    995.9 KB · Views: 363
I put mine under the tray for two reasons

1. To keep it cooler
2. I ended up just not quite having enough room in my tray for it :)

Yes ok, thanks for the replies guys. I would obviously prefer to keep it in the battery box, but there is no point having something looking aesthetically pleasuring when it's not functional. I might try and play around and find a spot for it on the outside of the box.

Yeah that is exactly the spot I was thinking, on the front outside of the box just to the left of where the seat bracket clips in under the tank. I will have a little look today. But I feel that is best possible solution.

Back
Top Bottom