eBay Stainless Engine Bolt Kit

ShaggyPit

Been Around the Block
hey guys,

looking to replace all the bolts in the engine of my cb750 with new ones and preferably allen heads. Just wondering what you guys have done for this...ordered each bolt single or as a kit? and if a kit, which sites did you guys find were the best bang for the buck and highest in quality?

i found a set on ebay for 24 bucks and was wondering if this would be a good purchase

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HONDA-1979-82-DOHC-CB750-CB900-POLISHED-STAINLESS-ENGINE-BOLT-KIT-/300371348937?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45ef870dc9&vxp=mtr

thanks for any input!!

Looks like a well assembled kit. As long as they're SS allen head, these bolts will be way better than stock. Strength isn't critical since they are only used for covers, not high stress areas. Here in Toronto there are several fastener stores like Brafasco and Fastenal.

DrJ said:
Looks like a well assembled kit. As long as they're SS allen head, these bolts will be way better than stock. Strength isn't critical since they are only used for covers, not high stress areas. Here in Toronto there are several fastener stores like Brafasco and Fastenal.

Thanks for the info! didnt consider that it wasnt a high stress area...that being said, wouldnt want some flimsy bendable iphone 6 material :p

Stainless is fine for side covers. We use lots of aluminum cap screws for covers and never had a problem. Stainless is more that strong enough. Do not over tighten them and do use assembly lube on the threads.

teazer said:
Stainless is fine for side covers. We use lots of aluminum cap screws for covers and never had a problem. Stainless is more that strong enough. Do not over tighten them and do use assembly lube on the threads.

put the assembly lube on the "to buy" list...is KY a good brand? :p
thanks for the input!

Specifically you want anti-seize on these bolts. The different metals react with each other and can cause corrosion / seizing (over a long period of time I'd suggest).

Be careful torquing - stay at the low end of the range - like 6 ft pounds or so for a 5mm bolt.

What I use.

TMK-1-420x395.png

Aluminum and Titanium bolt kits come with a sachet of lube. You can get a couple of types of assembly lube to keep them from stocking together.

I looked also looked at these. This would be a good investment if most of your bolts are stripped.

imtyson said:
I looked also looked at these. This would be a good investment if most of your bolts are stripped.

Ya the price seems fair and although the bolts on my bike are not stripped, I think getting some allen heads for future work will help prevent any stripping. I will let you know how these are in terms of feel of quality and what not when I eventually order them

I've ordered some stainless steel bolt kits from stainlesscycle on ebay and they are very nice. Allen head too.

also I am not sure how this will work with SS and aluminum threads. But. when we used SS pipe threads we had to use a special thread dope, because SS likes to gall or just sieze up well before they are tight. now i doubt it is much of an issue with non pipe thread's but just thought i would bring it up

Back
Top Bottom