'75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - Open Throttle

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions

You might see a couple degrees but more than likely not much of an improvement there.

Your best bet is to plumb one into the oil pump. A filter adapter is the way to go for simplicity.

Swagger said:
You might see a couple degrees but more than likely not much of an improvement there.

Your best bet is to plumb one into the oil pump. A filter adapter is the way to go for simplicity.

I was looking at that filter adapter. I gotta figure out how it fits. It requires 1 inch of clearance and that's crazy with how tightly packed the covers are to the filter. Steve and his clean TX500 mentioned something about running bigger jets because the stock ones run to lean. That might be part of the solution. Well I'll keep ya posted. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=5959.140

Thanks Swag

Nice work mate, I used the VHT wrinkle black paint on my XS850 head and barrels and polished the outer lip. Looks sweet.
Also if you're worried about the bike rolling off the center stand, just leave the transmission in 1st gear and the rear wheel will stop it!

Cheers

Triple said:
Nice work mate, I used the VHT wrinkle black paint on my XS850 head and barrels and polished the outer lip. Looks sweet.
Also if you're worried about the bike rolling off the center stand, just leave the transmission in 1st gear and the rear wheel will stop it!

Cheers

Good idea! Why didn't I think of that, duh... VHT wrinkle does look sweet. I am really happy with it. Thanks for the props.

how did i miss this sucker! nice work man!!!

JRK5892 said:
how did i miss this sucker! nice work man!!!

Thanks Joe. I got a lot of good ideas from your build including painting the starter cover which you probably noticed. I also bought a braided chrome wire cover kit too. I'm thinking about putting knee cut outs in the tank and/or stretching it. I have no experience in this kinda stuff but my father is pretty crafty so we'll see. Then I would finish up with Carpy's cafe seat and a red and black or silver paint scheme. Gotta measure first.

Hopefully something like this design and scheme for the tank and seat but in red and black or silver stripes.
179a.jpg

So my cover are on their way back from Chrome. Next Step will be to put some motor oil in it. The manual says 20w-40, but from my understanding Yamaha is the only person who sells this. I want to upgrade to synthetic because it can handle the higher temperatures. I found a few places where people are using SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil for their bikes. It has a wet clutch so obviously this is also a concern.

Will 10w-40 Synthetic work on this bike? recommendations? Thanks.

i use rotella 20w 50 in mine runs great

JRK5892 said:
i use rotella 20w 50 in mine runs great

awesome! thanks for the quick response joe. Where did you buy your oil? Motorcycle shops have this stuff available or internet purchase?

Nice work Bear - an inspiration for my own build . A sixties style Cafe Racer and a Flat Tracker [ bought 2 bikes for the price of 1 ! ]

Swagger - can you tip me in the direction of the oil cooler thread? Can't find it - ta.

What about an adaptor with remote oil filter as with car engines?
I'm just bidding on a pair of Borrani rims [ e-bay] - fingers crossed.

BTW - Rotella oil - here in the UK it's readilly available in commercial vehicle and farm outlets - and half the price of auto / bike oils !

We recently found a wrinkle paint that is much more consistent than VHT - it's not actually used for automotive purposes, but we have been using it now for 3 years. Much simpler to apply than VHT.

The guy only did Black, but we recently persuaded him to produce Red, Gold and aluminum.

Worked on the controls this weekend. I didn't want to buy new ones but the old switches looked like crap. So I taped up gold emblems and painted over it. Then I lost the high beam, "Hi / Lo" knob so I used a rivet instead. Cut it down glued it in and wahla! This image doesn't do justice but it looks really clean granted the paint job on the control switch isn't the best, but it is still way better than before.

IMG_1408.JPG

Finally, I was debating sanding down the engine fins for awhile so I eventually said screw it and went for it. I think it makes it more eye catching now.

IMG_1395.JPG

Hey whatever works!! Pictures do the same to my bike too, I think it looks really awesome then snap a pic and it's like "this looks kinda gay ..." I am sure it will do ... Are you going to do all the fins or just the middle? I think it looks pretty rad just like that. Good work!

Agree re: taking loads of pix for referrence / eyeballing.

AND downloading other people's pix works when you're toying with an idea!

I had been toying with the idea of highlighting the fins on the barrels and heads - looks good !

I collect my 2 project bikes tomorrow - can't wait to get stuck in.

kingofthenuggets said:
Hey whatever works!! Pictures do the same to my bike too, I think it looks really awesome then snap a pic and it's like "this looks kinda gay ..." I am sure it will do ... Are you going to do all the fins or just the middle? I think it looks pretty rad just like that. Good work!

JRK5892 said:
fins look good!

yeah im going to stick with just the middle fins. it def looks cherry. thanks btw!

Wow the sanded fins really look good, that'll go great with the chrome covers

Chrome covers came in. I haven't seen them yet but my pops said they look "Magical".

Will take pictures this weekend. Bling Bling.

Fresh Chrome!!! Check out these bad boys. I can't believe their the same parts that I sent out.

Before:
IMG_1288.JPG

After:
IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

My little fire engine. Looks like one, doesn't it?
IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

Back
Top Bottom