Suzuki GN400 Scrambler/Cafe Hybrid

You got any cheap steering dampeners laying around. I hadnt really thought of adding that to my bike until I saw yours My GN has some wobble on the highway and I bet tyat would help hold me steady. So what size sprockets are you going with? I have been thinking of going bigger on mine to get some more power. Its a 38 rear stock I think, I have a 41 rear sprocket but I think that I have seen a 47 tooth somewhere and I think that quad sport or maybe the lt 230 quad racer sprockets will fit to. That will make it more dirt oriented. I might get a big sprocket for mine and see what happens. I have a 110 chain around here somewhere but there isnt alot of room back there on the swingarm to play around with when I went to the 41 I had to adjust all the way back if I went forward it wasnt right and I got a slightly bigger rear tire so that also adds to the trouble of not having any room to work. I spaced out my brake control arm it was to close to the tire and worried me. Im not gonna put the right size on because this tire is brand new so I will wear it out first then I will put the smaller right size tire on. GOOD JOB ON THE BUILD IT LOOKS GOOD.

I wish I could say the same of mine. Just dragging my feet right now...though I really want it done.

That attention to detail puts this build at the top 10% or higher. Most of us hacks would hav just used zip ties or twist ties from the bread bag ;D

Seriously nice work.

You might look into the connection on the stator. If its anything like the DR650, probably not, you could see about altering the connection to get some gain. See here. But saving all that hassle with the LED's should be enough.

You can rewind those single coil generators yourself, just get some appropriate wire (sligtly thicker for more AMPs) and wind on as much as you can.

Regarding HiD bulbs in old reflectors, the beam pattern would be awful as the light output is hugley different, but you can cannibalise car headlamp units for the projector part of it - I've done this using an Audi A6 headlamp, pulled the reflector mechanism out and transplanted it into a standard headlamp.

It resulted in low beam only, but the low beam from an A6 - so actually much much brighter than the stock unit, even on main beam.

misteroddjob said:
Thanks, I looked into rewinding it myself a while back and found a place that sells magnet wire online in different gauges.
That'll be a winter project when I won't care if I screw it up.
That's good advice. Where did you find the A6 headlight? And do you think it could be adapted to fit into a 3-1/2" bulb?
If you can solder and wind some string round a broom handle neatly, you can rewind a single coil :)

A friend runs an older A6 and broke the outer plastic lens on his car, so I had the remnants from him for this exact purpose once he'd got a new lamp unit.

You could try a car body shop for damaged headlamps, they must throw lots of them out when repairing vehicles.

You should be able to fit the HID reflector/lens into any bike headlamp, I had to trim the back of the light unit itself with a dremel type tool and made a rubber gasket to absorb vibration - I didn't take any photo's I'm afraid and the bike is gone now.

Love the build. Don't know how I've missed it thus far.

My real question is, what happen to the truck in the background!?!

Uh oh. I still have my exhaust to do too. Forgot about that...

So, you know, take your time, don't rush it. ;) Your exhaust looks great!

misteroddjob said:
And I still have my electrical to do...
I've got to rush, so I can ride this damn thing to Barber.
I could trailer it, but its not the same.

Sucks that its in AL. If I still lived in IL I would definitely try to make it.

Great build I love your commitment to detail. Exhaust is looking good. I would go for black myself.

Keep up the work, and you'll ride this baby to barber!

You can do it!

That, sir, is fancy. It's pieces like that and details like those that make a good bike and great bike. Many at Barber will be green...

You're still inspiring me!

This website is useful for working out exhaust lengths and diameters.

http://www.mez.co.uk/mezporting/exhaust_length.html

I think there are some other useful calculation tools in the links section at the bottom.

It's looking really good. :D

Thanks for the inspiration again.

Back
Top Bottom