Trackers...

Ah the old Street/Flat track discussion. I agree that the XR750 is one of the coolest flat trackers ever built and that a dirt tracker is meant for a single purpose. Street trackers however are more of a tribute to the old flat track generation and are purpose built for the street. If your wondering why you would build a off road bike and put it on the street I can tell you from my Supermoto racing experience that it is just plain fun. The XS650 is probably the most popular for Street and Dirt track recreations. I built my XS650 as a Street tracker with a modern twist because I wanted a bike that had a comfortable riding position, handled well, had great suspension and brakes. I have built and ridden several cafe racers, but my tracker is my favorite to ride. As far as opinions some may like or not like what you create "Who Cares" Build it because you think it's cool. I did, many people like my build and some didn't because it was not traditional enough. In the end I created the bike that I wanted.

Attachments

• XS Tracker5b.jpg
    XS Tracker5b.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 195
The most well known street tracker is probably the Harley XR1200, based on the Sportster and modeled after their very successful (if you ignore all the cheating ;) ) flat track racers of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

How exactly did HD cheat with the XR750?

Scott

I'm just having a go at HDs expense really. The XR was (and is) a fine racer. That said... Dig around a bit into HDs relationship with the AMA during the XRs rise to dominance... Not always on the up and up so to speak.

Scramblers have upswept pipes, and typically better suspension & lighting for actual off-road night use.

Trackers are more fungible, they can also have upswept pipes, but usually have downswept. Trackers often have seat/tail & spool front hub.

Fuck that oil leaking junk this is all you need to know about ft racing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 581
This is to be a low budget grass field tracker, the side draft is conducive to turning left and sucking fresh air with a filter... the cool thing is it has a title and with lights can be registered and rode on the street (some day) to a field close by where you can dig your own ruts around the swing set and escape through the church parking lot!! Noe me of course, I'm too old.

A lot money is spent on a high end tracker for the road... the parts and motors on the bikes posted are not easy on the wallet, but man are they a joy to see and the noise they make is as good as any guitar riff from Jimi Hendrix himself.

Both extremes janky fun and high end bliss, you are only limited by the thickness of your wallet.

Attachments

• IMG_20150125_150817857.jpg
    IMG_20150125_150817857.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 183
Had a glimpse at that sweet mondial last week.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424851070729.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424851070729.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 194
One of these days, this '64 Triumph Bonneville will get running...

410773705.jpg

(not necessarily with those mufflers)

grandpaul said:
One of these days, this '64 Triumph Bonneville will get running...

410773705.jpg

(not necessarily with those mufflers)

Helofa starting point. I would like to find one like that, but those who have em want to keep em or need a pile for em.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Helofa starting point. I would like to find one like that, but those who have em want to keep em or need a pile for em.

I tried to sell it for a while complete with nice Mikuni carbs and some other parts for $4,000 bucks or so; never got any bites

grandpaul said:
I tried to sell it for a while complete with nice Mikuni carbs and some other parts for $4,000 bucks or so; never got any bites

Oh I know, thats a fair price to be sure... we get spoiled buying lucky finds, I baught a BSA lightning end of last year with an old 70's springer chop all there running along with a 72 CB750 running for $1600 all in... The BSA is about ready for paint and the CB I'm taking my time and just tore it back down to dig into mechanics and frame. Suspension, electronics and body are about 90 percent, spoke hub for an R6 USD front end has taken some time. If you decide to sell it again post it here, I bet someone will grab it or let the word out... maybe even me if I can swing it.

JAGspeed said:
Ah the old Street/Flat track discussion. I agree that the XR750 is one of the coolest flat trackers ever built and that a dirt tracker is meant for a single purpose. Street trackers however are more of a tribute to the old flat track generation and are purpose built for the street. If your wondering why you would build a off road bike and put it on the street I can tell you from my Supermoto racing experience that it is just plain fun. The XS650 is probably the most popular for Street and Dirt track recreations. I built my XS650 as a Street tracker with a modern twist because I wanted a bike that had a comfortable riding position, handled well, had great suspension and brakes. I have built and ridden several cafe racers, but my tracker is my favorite to ride. As far as opinions some may like or not like what you create "Who Cares" Build it because you think it's cool. I did, many people like my build and some didn't because it was not traditional enough. In the end I created the bike that I wanted.

I love that blue!

Tune-A-Fish said:
Oh I know, thats a fair price to be sure... If you decide to sell it again post it here, I bet someone will grab it or let the word out... maybe even me if I can swing it.

The more I think about it, the more I've been leaning toward restoring it, and that will extend my string of restored consecutive year Bonnevilles from 64 thru 70. That will leave out only '63 to have all "dry-frame" unit construction models ever built.

i always thought the x75 :-* had a decent street tracker style, a buddy of mine bought a really nice on at the vegas auction a cupl years ago

triumph_x-75_hurricane.jpg

That is one of my favorite motorcycles ever. Never been a Triumph fan, except for that beauty.

xb33bsa said:
i always thought the x75 had a decent street tracker style, a buddy of mine bought a really nice on at the vegas auction a cupl years ago

triumph_x-75_hurricane.jpg

Too bad they cost as much as a 2-bedroom house!

pjams said:
Help me understand tracker builds. There have been some tracker builds that make me drool with their looks and performance. But are they built for off road or street? Knobby tires on the street? Poor off road suspension off road? I could see them working in the snow, dirt road, or some flat land but every time I think of building one I always come back to a cafe. Someone with experience (or not) shed some light.

Do you understand how flat track racing (flat oval dirt raceway) differs from scrambles (old-school rough terrain racing)? That's the crux of the matter, and how the race designs and/or aesthetics are adapted for street use.

Bikes with flat track ergonomics are great in some situations on the road, especially in traffic/hooligan type activity. Wide bars, mid-set pegs, and upright position make for super-maneuverable rides with good visibility, compared to a high-speed road racing position. They don't use knobby offroad tires, despite the use of dual sport tires on some street tracker builds.

Scramblers are generally going to have knobbies and longer-travel suspension than trackers.

Back
Top Bottom