The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

Hi guys, so this is my 3 year old baby. Just wanted to share with you. I have been following the discussions, and would like to thank crazy for all the good advice.
Over here, even the big harleys and the thruxtons stop to have a closer look at our beauty. Enjoy the bike and take care of this fragile lady.

Elox.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    725.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 300
Indeed ! very good for mid range. Lovely sound but not too loud for my kids and to stay friends with neighbors.
ps: Re jetting made a big difference as well.

My rear breaks are so bad (like all of us i imagine) any one fixed that problem ? How ?

ps: I have a brand new Silencer (never used, still in wrap paper) from OOracing to sell half price. Short slash cut. 400mm overall. Steel chrome construction
https://www.ooracing.com/store/silencer-end-can-short-slash-cut-400mm-overall-steel-chrome-construction.html

Who is going to the worldwide gentlemanride tour on 27 September ?

Visit: https://www.gentlemansride.com/

I think our aces would fit perfectly in that setting !

Elox.

Hi all,

Rear brake is indeed an issue on my bike as well. stopping power isn't that great, swapped the brake pads for EBC ones (squeaking as hell)

I read somewhere about cleaning the hub and roughing up the inside with some sanding paper.

Another thing is was considering is ordering a complete genuine Honda dream rear wheel assembly from cmsnl.com. The original dream had a rear disk brake: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb50v-dream-50_model8254/partslist/F13.html#results

get the rear caliber: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb50v-dream-50_model8254/partslist/F12.html#results
And the bridge assembly: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb50v-dream-50_model8254/partslist/F22.html#results

And you got yourself a (although costly) major upgrade. ;)

complete schematic and all parts are available here: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb50_model8254/partslist/

Together with the original rear brake assembly, Mod the frame and take it from there.. This will be a costly upgrade, looking at the parts alone

Any thoughts?

Nico

Attachments

• image.php.jpeg
    image.php.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 745
Front brake is also on my todo list.

But Sadly, it looks like freespirit isn't producing the sets. Since there is no demand for them. (as far as they can see)
I will let them know that we have some (i counted 3 ;) ) demand.

And maybe I can persuade them to do a very small production run of maybe 5 sets if there enough takers.

nico

nicopotvin said:
maybe I can persuade them to do a very small production run of maybe 5 sets if there enough takers.

I'm still interested.

If they don't want to manufacture the adaptor I would still be interested in buying the rotor and having the adaptor made locally.

Crazy

Same for me - I'm still interested in the Newfren front disc as it's no problem to make up the extension plate, and if it means that it's less hassle for them, then it hopefully makes sense.

Why not just ask them for the Newfren reference number and we can sort it ourselves!
Incidentally, if I recall correctly, Skyteam dabbled with a Back Disc brake in prototype form, and I think that it was just the expense that killed it overall. Photos enclosed show the result. I wonder if there was enough interest whether they would offer it as a retro-fit kit instead? As per crazy, I would rather spend my money on uprating the front disc as that is what is needed most I think!
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]

Incidentally, now back on the road after re-lacing the real wheel with all GENUINE Honda spokes and Cush drive bushes and cush drive bolts. Amazing difference as it feels much stronger and has eliminated much of the slop out of the drivetrain. Incidentally, the cush drive bolts are at least 3mm longer than the Skyteam versions, so should cause less wear (and the cush drive bushes should definitely last longer!)
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic]url[/pic]

Hi All,

I have asked them for the ref number of the newfren disk. So hopefully they will get back to me asap.

@HerbertD sounds like a solid upgrade, what were the part numbers you used for the cush drive bolts & bushes?

nico

Honda Parts for rear wheel available from:

www.micksbikeparts.com

Inner Spoke set (x 18) Honda Genuine Part 97716-52178-R0 @ 1.42 Euros each (9X169 SPOKE SET B)
Outer Spoke set (x 18) Honda Genuine Part 97340-52179-R0 @ 1.42 Euros each (9X169.5 SPOKE SET B)
Cush Drive Bushes (x 4) Honda Genuine Part 41241-222-000 @11.00 Euros each
Cush Drive Bolts (x 4) Honda Genuine Part 90128-KE2-940 @ 4.87 Euros each

Honda offer 2 types of spoke (each with different angled ends) whereas Skyteam offer 1 type only. Maybe that's why they kept breaking!

Re-spoking sounds good.

What are the part numbers and where did you find them?

Cheers
Richard

Hi All,

I got a reply from Freespirits and Newfren.
In short, they need a minimum of 20 kits to do a production run. I also asked about the disk alone, but the disk itself isn't available as it was also a one-off prototype...

So it looks like we need to boost interest or are out of luck :(

@HerbertD, tnx for the part numbers, I am going to do this upgrade as well.

nico

nicopotvin said:
I got a reply from Freespirits and Newfren.

For a company intending "to make it available as a kit" they're not very accommodating!

Have they managed to calculate a unit price?

Crazy

Indeed..

But i have been surfing around, and i did find a bracket to accommodate bigger disks.. mount holes for callipers should be standard.. so it can be a good fit..

http://webshop.lucdebondt.be/winkel/schijfrem-voor/mounting-bracket-for-bigger-diameter-front-diskbrake-jc-skyteam-2/

in dutch sorry ;)

I am visiting this shop this weekend, and ask around, they are very custom minded. All parts for rear disk brake should also be available there (except the hub)

nico

Just a quick question, can anyone recommend an insurance company in the UK for the Ace.
Also do they ask if it's been modified in any way?
Cheers, Tad.

Just a thought....
Before you start putting bigger rotors on (naturally, a good idea) has anyone considered using a better caliper? As I am not a ace owner, I am not able to see the clearance between spokes and rotor, but I was thinking something like a pre radial GSXR tokico or perhaps CBR nissin 4 pot caliper, both very cheap and abundant on ebay. May need to upgrade the M/C also.
this is a popular upgrade to the SV650 which come with flimsy 2 piston calipers (which are probably better than the stock ace ones).
Also I had the thought...
the front rotor of the ace has quite a bit of offset, if you got a larger rotor with zero offset, an adapter could be made to correct the bolt pattern and be the thickness of the offset to give correct disc spacing? Once again choose something that's around 280mm and easy and cheap to get.

Back
Top Bottom