MT250 Knobby Vintage Streetfighting Cafe Scrambling Rat Tracker

After I popped that mold off I was done with mold making and could move on to making the actual cowl.

Attachments

• Molds.jpg
    Molds.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 260
So there were really two different parts of this process that I wanted to learn how to do. The first was making a mold from a plug, and that was crazy tedious but turned out well. The second was vacuum-bagging. Previously for my BMW adventure bike, I've made a couple carbon windscreens, a carbon seat-compartment, and a kevlar/carbon skid plate. But each time I had used a previous part as my mold and just layed the CF and resin over it. That worked fine and was cosemetically OK. But vacuum-bagging seemed like the way to go if you really wanted to press the fiber into the mold. I didn't want to spend a ton of $ on a vacuum pump, but found this on instrucables.com (http://www.instructables.com/id/make-a-manual-vacuum-pump-for-under-%2420-by-convert/?ALLSTEPS). Essentially you disassemble a cheap bike pump so it sucks air instead of pressurizing it. You need a few other things for the pump and then a bunch of materials, all of which I ordered from fiberglast.com

Then you make a vacuum bag, wax your mold, coat it with resin, lay your fiber, followed by peel-ply and a layer of breath material. You stick it all in the bag and suck the air out of it and let it cure.

Attachments

• IMG_8963.JPG
    IMG_8963.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_8962.JPG
    IMG_8962.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 257
I had added the big water carboy into the vacuum system, because if you have a leak then, in theory, the big vacuum reservoir will maintain the negative pressure. Two things happened. First, I did have a leak that I could never find. And second, when I really vacuumed the system hard, carboy imploded. I was worried about all of this and had a a back-up plan. I had heard of people using aquarium pumps as continous vacuum pumps for making model airplane wings. It seemed super weak, and unlikely to work that well, but I had scouted around on Amazon and found a cheap, semi-industrial aquarium pump for around $30. I hooked it up and voila! Continous vacuum! At this point it didn't matter that I had a little leak somewhere, because the pump created a continuous vacuum. It worked awesome, although it made a ton of noise that you could hear from any point in my house, even though it was in the basement.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 254
Pulled the first part out of the mold, and it was pretty good! Not perfect, but that's the beauty of the mold, I can just lay up some more fiber and try it again!

Attachments

• 2014-10-12 10.31.28.jpg
    2014-10-12 10.31.28.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 253
I repeated the process with the other mold to make the top of the cowl. Here are the two pieces cut out and just sitting on top of each other.

Attachments

• 2014-10-12 10.32.18.jpg
    2014-10-12 10.32.18.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 250
I hadn't thought out how I was going to attach the two halves of the cowl, but hoped that I'd just figure it out when the time came. Lining everything up seemed like a big opportunity to mess it up, and that would've been a big bummer after all the previous work. Finally I decided the best way to do it would be to wax up my two molds, put the pieces back into their respective molds, epoxy the seam, and clamp the two mold halves back together. There was high potential for messing everything up, including the molds if the epoxy stuck to the surface. But, it still seamed like the best plan.

Attachments

• 2014-10-15 08.30.58.jpg
    2014-10-15 08.30.58.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 245
  • 2014-10-15 08.23.49.jpg
    2014-10-15 08.23.49.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 286
It worked! In this light, you can see the imperfections. I'll go back and make all of this again to get it just right with no voids in my resin. But as a first attempt, proof-of-concept, I'm pretty stoked! Not that it really matters to me either, but it is incredibly light: 265 grams. Again, that's not really important to me, but it's still pretty cool.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    744.7 KB · Views: 241
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    633.7 KB · Views: 252
And on the bike...

Attachments

• 2014-10-15 13.40.35.jpg
    2014-10-15 13.40.35.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 274
  • 2014-10-15 14.02.47.jpg
    2014-10-15 14.02.47.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 293
  • 2014-10-15 14.03.32.jpg
    2014-10-15 14.03.32.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 262
  • 2014-10-15 14.04.04.jpg
    2014-10-15 14.04.04.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 283
Put the exhaust back on just to get a sense of the "big picture." Now on to a different sub-project: Electrical.

Attachments

• IMG_9179.jpg
    IMG_9179.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 260
This is too cool.
have you had a though about maybe reducing the thickness of the seat?
and lowering the ducktail to match?
i reckon it would look sick lines and just make the lines flow!
your taste your bike though man, looks great either way!

catsy said:
This is too cool.
have you had a though about maybe reducing the thickness of the seat?
and lowering the ducktail to match?
i reckon it would look sick lines and just make the lines flow!
your taste your bike though man, looks great either way!

I had thought of that, and in retrospect, the seat might be a bit fluffy, especially up where it meets the tank. I think I am going to keep it all the way it is currently, but I have been trolling for another seat pan so I can build an alternative seat with a little less foam. With regard to the cowl being a little pointed upwards, It just sort of followed the lines of the rear frame hoop. It would be easy enough to drop it down, especially after I get everything tucked under the cowl, and I can see how much space I have left.

EL Sammo said:
Looks great! The pipe is glorious. Good work.

Thanks! I'm currently sorting out the wiring, after which I can fire it up again. I haven't had it running in over a year and not at all with the new pipe. I'll post up some video so you can hear it once I get it going again!

Back
Top Bottom