GR650......starting over for the last time

Thanks fellas.

I was messing around last night and rolled the bike out to check out my lighting. I know every light is bright as heck in a picture, but here's the high beam from about 50' away:

And I noticed the seat frame wasn't perfectly lined up so I spent some time grinding, banging, welding it back together. I added some smaller tubes for cross braces between the lower rails and the seat rails. Here's the skeleton so far:

Ok, there's a lot that happened since last time around.....

The most obvious is that I cut off the rear frame hoop. For me to use the taillight that I want, the loop had to be so big..... TOO big. Off to the scrap bucket it went. I welded up the seat pan mount, along with the rear gas tank mount. I also fabbed up some seat frame uprights - the left side is very visible in this pic, and it looks huge. But once the gas tank is mounted they are much less obtrusive. Also ordered some plastic seat tail sections to use as molds for a fiberglass seat:

Mocking up the rearsets:

Started with cardboard, then switched to 1/8" ABS plastic so I can actually see where everything will fit. Aluminum is in the mail....

Started sorting all the electrical mounts:

Top to bottom in the pic: ignitor, fuse box, gas tank pads, starter relay, and the rear gas tank mount. There's plenty of room underneath that GS850 tank.

And I welded in the rear cross brace last night too. Ignore the stock chrome fender - I was just using it for reference when welding.

Here's the last pic, just making sure the tank still bolts down over the electrical bits:

Wow Rich, that's coming along awesome! Keep it going! One day I'll be able to carry on with my GR... :'(
For now, I'll just live vicariously through you.

One question: is that the stock rocker arm for your rear shock or did you fit a new/custom/etc. One?

Thanks Cookie! There were only 2 "major" problems with fitting the swinger:

1) The GR dust caps don't fit the GS properly (really not that big of a deal.....)
2) The lower shock mount hangs down a little further than the stock mount, causing the ride height to be dropped. The solution to this was to drill out the mounting bolt holes on the first linkage to mount on top of the swingarm to move the bolt upwards (moving that bolt upwards pivots the shock downwards). I had a world-class welder place some washers on that linkage, and now I need a longer bolt.

All things considered, the swingarm is an easy swap.

Busy, busy, busy.......

Aluminum plate came in for the rearset mounts:

Cardboard template:

Rough shape cut out, along with a couple mounting holes drilled:

Holes drilled for the Busa rearsets:

Cut out some meat from the insides:

Now that the rearset plates are mounted solid, this happened:

And the seat frame resting on the floor:

Added a mount for the rear brake reservoir, tube supports at the rear, and a keyed seat release mount:

Trying to fit a GSXR steering stabilizer, but need the engine back in the frame to check clearance:

Come to find out the GSXR damper needs to be mounted up front, so engine clearance is a non issue. Need to fab up and weld the stabilizer mount, but this is where I left off:

john83 said:
You have been busy!

You ain't kidding. Not pictured: new shingles, 4x8 sheets, insulation, soffit, fascia, gutters, exhaust fans, blah blah blah. I spend about 8 hours a week in the garage now.

Small update - welded the mount for the steering stabilizer to the frame:

Then spent the rest of the night pulling the motor out of the frame and grinding welds. Yay.

Sorry bud. I've been....under the weather lately. So there isn't too much to update. I did chop up the GS550E seat plastic a little bit - got rid of the "wings" or whatever they were.

I'm sure I'll be working out in the garage in the next couple weeks though.

Back
Top Bottom