Time to rebuild the bol d'or

ABCanuck said:
What was the process to get a replacement?

Easy. There's a crowd on ebay selling replicas ;)

Fortunately they had one that matched the original. Just had to stamp the frame number in the space. They're not an official VIN tag as such, and any checks that are done use the frame number stamped in the head-stem, so there's no issue with potential forgery. It's just an import ID confirming the bike meets certain Aussie design requirements. One of the ADRs (Australian Design Rules) for example relates to the fitting of brake lines.

It's more of a cosmetic thing in my case. That and the fact that I lost the original when I pulled it off for powdercoating.

The Marzocchi Strada rebuild kit arrived so I, ah, rebuilt the shocks

rearShock.jpg

Well, you gotta, don't you?

Sneak-peak Magnum Silver, pre-decals. Don't see too many of these around here.

magnumSilver01.jpg

magnumSilver02.jpg

Well, that took a while ::)

Mainly due to me stuffing up the left tank decal. They're a bugger to get around those front curves smoothly :eek:

Once a replacement arrived from Canada I put it on, then masked around the rest of the stripe decals and shot them with a clear gloss to make the pop a bit more. Happy with the results.

painted.jpg

So. I pulled the V&H system apart to have it ceramic coated in black.

pipes.jpg

Which has introduced another option I wasn't really considering until now. I've always thought the muffler was oddly proportioned, and it seems to me that it would be fairly easy to shorten the end can by as much as 100mm. If I take it from the rear end, I can retain the muffler mount.

muffler02.jpg

to end up something like this:

muffler03.jpg

shorty.jpg

Anyone see any flaws in my plan??

cheers
ian

hi mate, not seen your build before, thats some beautiful work you're doing there and now i know where the spare 900 front end came from. can't wait to see it finished (or in the flesh for that matter)

cheers, spotty

just been down to Bikeboys place to pick up a front end he had for me and i have to say.......

WOW, what an amazing stable of toys, all beautifully finished and presented. A credit to his skills.

and once again Ian, thanks for the front end (hopefully its going to keep me in the shed and out of the garden for some time to come (mrs spotty's busy sorting a girlie weekend in Bali so hopefuly she won't even notice i'm missing today)

bit of a false start trying to use the 900 triple clamps but it seems the SOHC750 and DOHC900 have different offsets, bearing sizes and their steering stops/locks in completely different places so thats never going to work but have the forks and bars mocked up, start on the wheel and brakes this week. was just talking to my mate who gave me the 750 in the first place and he reckons he's got a pile of stock discs and stuff somewhere in the shed so i'm going to wander down to his place and see whats there so i can fit two discs with those shiny calipers i got from you
i would have got more done today but i had to go down the bowling club to spectate and drink beer
its a hard life sometimes........

You may be able to bore out the 750 triple clamps to accept the 9900F tubes. I know that some guys do this on the 900F clamps so that they will accept CBR 600 tubes.

the 900 forks fit straight into the 750 clamps, i was just hoping to use the 900 clamps as well (larger/sronger as well as better looking) but no luck (unless i start cutting bits of frame but then i end up with no steering stops)
anyway enough of me hijacking bikeboys thread, i should shift my gibbering across to 'showus your front end swaps' where it belongs

Back
Top Bottom