CB650 project

Kikileilei

I've been floating around the forums and see that there is some serious talent around here. I am gonna have a go a cb650 thats been sitting around for a while.....So far Ive torn it down and straightened that little dip in the frame so I can get a nice flat seat and pan. The tank is from "I think" a 71 kawi H1 that my uncle had hanging in his garage for as long as I can remember. I had a sheet metal guy contour the underside to fit properly. That is beyond my skill level. The plan is to lower a stretch it. I hope to chop down the forks and extend the swingarm a few inches with an 18" rear and 19" front on vintage Firestones, solo seat and clip ons. I have some donor parts that I fully expect to butcher to see if it works. It may just turn into a big mess, but what the hell

Attachments

• IMG_7584.JPG
    IMG_7584.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 318
So the motor tear down began today...Not enough degreaser and three broken head bolts later, here it is. I know, its not pretty. The rocker arms are kinda rough and may need replacing. A good cleaning tomorrow and see what else I find. Im sending the head out to a local trade school for machining. Ill take my chances (its free). Im intersted to hear some cleaning methods. I will prob go with varsol, degreasers, gasket remover and elbow grease.

Attachments

• IMG_7592.JPG
    IMG_7592.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 307
heeyeah... that jap rust is real bitch!! PB, heat and patients is the only chance you get. If you decide to throw something make it not be the tank, its all you have at this point.

Good luck, looking forward to the updates,
Johny :eek:

A bit early in the game to be throwing shit around, even for me. I got lucky with the head bolts. They didn't snap flush, so a fresh pair of vise grips and a propane torch took care of it easily enough. I have tons of cleaning to do before putting back together. The previous owner clearly did not believe in oil changes.. Maybe he thought, if it got thick enough it would stop leaking. :-\

I want to through some paint on the block while its out. You guys think its easier to put it back together and mask it off, or try and tape it up while disassembled. I'm feeling its safer to paint after to keep paint off the gasket surfaces.

Thoughts?

Kikileilei said:
A bit early in the game to be throwing shit around, even for me. I got lucky with the head bolts. They didn't snap flush, so a fresh pair of vise grips and a propane torch took care of it easily enough. I have tons of cleaning to do before putting back together. The previous owner clearly did not believe in oil changes.. Maybe he thought, if it got thick enough it would stop leaking. :-\

I want to through some paint on the block while its out. You guys think its easier to put it back together and mask it off, or try and tape it up while disassembled. I'm feeling its safer to paint after to keep paint off the gasket surfaces.

Thoughts?

Hope some others offer up advice, but her's what I got... I like to paint parts separate for the factory look, when it's all about detail. If you don't mind painted gaskets... get it all together, mask or use donor covers and paint it whole. I like the Honda Marine paints, the oyster silver is super nice for factory look and the charcoal is a fresh look too http://suzuki.colorrite.com/bulletins/Honda-Marine-Catalog.pdf always etch primer after a good acetone wipe with lint free rags (the wife cuts up) old t-shirts works great. I found a 3M product http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-RADIAL-BRISTLE-DISCS-2-BRISTLE-BRUSHES-120-GRIT-WHITE-6PLY-MOUNTED-HUB-WHEEL-/191365124907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8e40132b spendy but last a long time if not abused... awesome for fins and deep hard to reach spots. An egine stand is the best way to paint, and a makeshift booth is always good. If you don't powder coat the frame or just want to do it all, I use apliance epoxy on frames... holds up great and the gloss is unbeatable.

Have fun man!

Definitely gonna check out those discs. Always looking for ways to cut down on prep time. Im leaning toward duller finishes. Shiny is more work and high maintenance. I am more concerned about getting this old bitch to run properly first.

Its been a while since Ive used these products. A lot has changed. You think: smooth it out with 120, 2 coats of "etch" primer. Scuff with 400 and shoot with heat paint. Does that sound about right?

Here is the pic of the frame mod that was requested. It was cut at the bend, then lifted to level. this way you can use a straight piece to reconnect. I found it easier to make the angle cut rather than making the bend on a short piece. Please excuse the corrosion. It was done some time ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 288
Looks like it works... I used to weld frames at the Kawasaki factory and if you seen some of the shit engineers pulled off to make quick changes to frames... it boggles the mind. you only need ask yourself "is it for show or go"

RD

Back
Top Bottom