'86 Interceptor 2 smoke project

Send him a copper tubing or conduit pattern www.jemcoexhaust.com I have been using Jon since the early '80s and every Jemco piped bike has been a strong runner.

Thanks for that jimmer. I got a few more parts in the mail today. I couldnt find a donor bike that I could afford, but I did find a guy who was parting a VF500F and sold me parts for a good price. Still looking for a tank though. I`m sure one will pop up sooner or later. I`ll post some pics when I have some things mounted.

GOt some pics of the tank today. I'll get them uploaded and posted tomorrow.

No dents, willneedto be cleaned/coated and you can seethe typical problemareas along the bottom edge. Appears to have had some previous attempts at edge repair.

YOu and i know what they go for, so shoot me a reasonable offer.

Hey guys, just a little update. I have been plugging away at this thing. I found some extra parts that I'm going to utilize like a 6V horn, a brand new all in one control, handle bars and grips. I received my new to me left and right foot peg assemblies with shifter and brake levers, rear brake caliper and reservoir, seat, side panels and coming soon is the rear cowl. I've also mounted the YZ wiring harness to get this thing started soon. The carb I got has been cleaned, reed valve installed, new intake boot and gasket installed. Still a crap load to order, but I have to take it easy for a month. Too much going out, not enough coming in ;) Time to start cleaning and painting things ;D

Found a stock exhaust system for the 400. I think I may be able to turn the exhaust 180 degrees and run it under the bike, not up next to the tank. I don't know how much room I'll have, but I'll mock it up and see how it looks. May have to cut and weld a few things ::) On a side note, I sold my CL360 today. A little sad, but it went to a good guy and I needed the money so I can take the kids to Disney in October ;)

I placed the exhaust under the bike to see how it would work. It fits under there nicely and it doesn't stick down to far where I would bottom it out. I'm not going to reshape anything, just turn and weld. In my head, it seems like this would be alright to do. I would like to get your feelings on this. And, does anybody feel like I shouldn't run the exhaust under the engine? I mean, is it going to get the engine too hot and cause problems? I could build a shield of some sort if that would help. Thank in advance.

It's been awhile since I did some updating. Kids and work have taken priority over the last couple of weeks. Amazing to think that there is only 6 weeks of school left :eek: The golf course I work at is in full swing now, too. Trees are starting to bud, and grass is growing. What a great feeling!! The kids have been itching to go to Disney (I think I posted that earlier), so we have been selling off some stuff. I'm proud of the kids, because they have been selling some of their items, too. It all goes into a big jar that's marked 'Disney fund' I think so far, we are 2/3 of the way there as far as cash goes. Tomorrow I am selling a little DT100 I've had for a couple of years and it just sits around taking up space. I think with that money, we'll buy a small four wheeler for the kids, and keep it at grandpas house. He has 5 acres, so we can do more riding there than in suburbia, where I live.
Anyways, here are some pics of my progress, and things that I have purchased.

Headlight I'm going to use for now.
CAM00926_zpshqnewaa3.jpg

I can't believe that the stock VF shifter had the same amount of splines and everything. What a break!!
CAM00925_zpszwqypnic.jpg

Found a stock pipe and am cutting it apart and rewelding it to make it fit under the engine. So far, so good.
CAM00923_zpsfeuirsnn.jpg

This picture shows the seat, right foot pegs assembly, rear brake assembly and plastics.
CAM00922_zpss84pxs6f.jpg

The new lighting coil for a DT400.
CAM00927_zps13l5uxz7.jpg

To get this thing running, I need to finish the exhaust, mount the carb and reed valve with new bolts, find a kick starter that will clear the foot peg and finish mounting the engine. If I do that, this thing should make some sound. Also, I found a VF tank locally but won't have it till next week.

Measure your kicker shaft and count the splines.I have a nice Yamaha kick lever on my shelf.

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention I received in the mail the rear tail light and a grab rail. I think I`ll have to fabricate a license plate holder, but that shouldn`t be too much of a problem. I have yet to get together with my friend to discuss my top clamp. Its not a matter of if its going to happen, but a matter of when its going to happen. Thanks for tuning in :)

Just a quick post of the exhaust. Once the engine is permanently mounted, I'll finish it up. I like it. And there is plenty of room between the engine and the exhaust, so I don't think I'll have to worry too much about it heating up the engine. I've seen too many bikes with the exhaust underneath, and haven't heard of a problem with it.

CAM00933_zpsqd5qfdgp.jpg

CAM00934_zpsgjjm2zba.jpg

Welding the exhaust wasn't too bad. The only thing that sucked, is I had to fill in a lot of gaps, and that took some time.

No pics today, just a lot if updates. Some more parts have been ordered, and should be arriving during the next week. Thanks to tune a fish and jimmer for some parts to help get this thing running. So a tank is on the way, a kick starter, a battery tray and a complete front brake system with new pads. Best of all, my buddy is working on the top clamp! After I get the front brake assembly, I`ll look for some pro taper bars. I think the best thing is to get it running, and then ad all the lights and stuff like that. I think I`m close :)

Does anybody know if I can just take off the TRAC system on this bike? I don't have it, and I don't think I want/need it. Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom