Newbie '75 Honda CB360t - semi-cafe'd

krukster86

Been Around the Block
Hey all! I am just starting in the hobby of cafe racers and motorcycle restoration so look forward to many idiotic questions in the future! This is a '75 Honda CB360t that I purchased from a seller a few days ago. The story is the bike was in storage for about 20 years before the seller purchased it. He replaced the carbs, forks, and springs with those of a CB400 on eBay, put on his own custom exhaust, clubman bars, removed the front turn signals, and instrument display. This bike leaks from the carb overflow/drain lines when it wants to and is in need of a carb inspection, polish job, and new fuel lines before I get to any additional cafe parts! ;D
DSC03398.jpg

DSC03400.jpg

DSC03401.jpg

DSC03408.jpg

I have a lot of work ahead!

WElcome to the site. You'll find most of us are nice, and many of us have the 360. Your's looks like a good start, especially with the tank and covers looking good.

I did notice a tear in the seat cover. You can get a new seat cover off ebay for a very reasonable cost.

Check mine out (it's in my sig).

Thanks! At the moment I need to work on the "essentials". Over winter, I plan to find a bum-stop seat, replace the brick sized brake light, rewire the front brake to activate the brake light, and fix the turn signals so that they actually "blink" instead of turning off.

pretty sure there is a sensor in the master cylinder that trips the light.... or a switch of some kind... my 74 has that.

Question I have for y'all on that last picture I posted. Is the fuel line (to I think the points) supposed to be nestled between two engine cooling fins? Just wondering if this might be an accident waiting to happen :eek:

My 350 had the same problem with the carbs. Chances are the floats are sinking. mine was. I took them off and one was just heavy because it was full of gas. get new floats and set them up right. probably should just rebuild the carbs why they are off. And you will be sooo happy!

ontop of that, make sure the jets are properly set. these 360s are kinda finicky about carbs i notice. i took mine to a local shop in my city after i put on my muffs and pod filters and it costed me a beer from the bar next door and ten bucks.

UPDATE! My next-next door neighbor did the upholstery on a new Saddlemen replacement seat cover for the bike, and I began scotchbrite-ing the engine to its shiny aluminum core. I am only 15-20% done, but I just love then new non-ripped seat!
DSC03554.jpg

DSC03551.jpg

DSC03553.jpg

Amazing job on cleaning up the engine. The before and after pics make it look like two different engines. So you just used a scotchbrite pad? Any kind of cleaners?

Just a suggestion, but scuffing the side covers will go a lot faster (and allow you to keep your fingertips) by doing the following:

1.) Drain the oil
2.) Pop the side covers off
3.) Spray them with oven cleaner
4.) wipe off said oven cleaner after 10 minutes or so
4.) Put wire brush attachment on drill
5.) Brush away

Then go attack it with the scotchbrite. You're looking at an hour total to get the job done. FWIW, I removed the sidecovers and attacked them with a roloc disk ona a pneumatic high-speed sander. Then I sanded and polished. But for what you're tying to do, I'd use my advice from above.

--Chris

Oh, yeah, that seat looks great. That was cool of your friend. I prbably would have shaved a couple inches off and shaped it a bit, but there is always next time...

--Chris

HerrDeacon said:
Amazing job on cleaning up the engine. The before and after pics make it look like two different engines. So you just used a scotchbrite pad? Any kind of cleaners?
Yeah I used a scotch brite pad by hand for an hour or so and got fed up before resorting to using the drill. I am going to try wet sanding next. Someone also recommended that I use carb cleaner to take off the Honda varnish...I had some oven cleaner lying around the house but it read "DO NOT USE ON ALUMINUM!" so I ditched it obviously :D

brewtown16 said:
any luck on that master cylinder?
I'm not sure who you are addressing, but I personally haven't touched it yet

On a bitter note, I think I am going to winterize the CB360. Its been getting harder to start due to the cold weather and my Suzuki C50 has never let me down. On the bright side, this gives me more time to focus on aesthetics of the bike rather than keeping it running haha!

Wow its been forever since I last posted. Long story short, a lot of work blood sweat and tears later, this is the final result:

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

From now on I hope to ride more than wrench.

Soft brass wire wheel, a scotch pad with a thin piece of metal to push it in the cracks,

Back
Top Bottom