1974 CB360 - first bike/build

huck_finn

Been Around the Block
Starting my build thread:

• Bought the bike 1 1/2 year ago - paid too much money - live and learn
  • Knew I wouldn't start riding until finished with grad school (working all day & studying all night didn't sound like healthy riding conditions)
  • Dumped way more money into the bike than expected - just getting it ready to ride

I am keeping a running list of everything I have bought for the bike in this <a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19TgpR56Ut1xY1G2MZN6lrKDmyMQ0CgNvseN1ABBe-5g/edit?usp=sharing">Google Sheet</a>. The list includes who I bought it from, how much I paid, and most of them have a direct link to the item. 95% of what I put on the bike came from Sparck Moto, Common-Motor, Dime City Cycles, and Bike Bandit.

Here it is just a few days before I bought it:

Loaded on the trailer and heading home:

Tank pulled, getting an idea of what I just got myself into:

Starting to really understand that I don't have a clue what I am doing:

Replaced screws on the engine with allen bolts. Nearly every screw on the bike turned to putty after trying to unscrew it all, so I got my money's worth from my screw extractor kit.

Got a new battery from Sparck Moto - the thought was to get one small enough to mount just about anywhere in any orientation. I still wasn't 100% sure on the direction I wanted to head with the bike (still not).

I also got a new harness from Sparck Moto - never been so excited to get a box of wires in my life.

The stock headers had been cut (by PO) to put on some old Yamaha mufflers. They were full of rust. I bought a few up-swept adapters from DCC and kept a few inches of pipe from the old mufflers to cobble together an exhaust. I wrapped the headers to try and disguise my Frankenstein-approach.

I have ridden road bikes (cycles) for years - so I really wanted to keep a tucked riding position - plus it is easier on my back. I ended up getting a new MC after fighting with the original. The bars were also an addition. I put new pads up front, along with new brake lines, & put new shoes on the rear.

The MC is still at a pretty steep angle, but it has been stopping on a dime for the past 400 miles.

Here is how she stood at the beginning of the Summer (2017). I had pods on it at the time because I couldn't afford new stock filters.

• I chopped down the front fender & added fork gaiters.
  • I also added inline fuel filters (DCC) and added clear fuel lines to keep an eye on what was coming through the tank.
  • I used Metal Rescue Rust Remover to clean out the tank - worked great, but my tank only had minor surface rust.
  • I applied Dry Coat Rust Preventative inside the tank and rinsed out a few times with gas.

I found a couple of stock air boxes on eBay, which had the original filters.

• Broke down the filters (cut out the paper & used heat gun to soften the old glue for removal)
  • Ran the filters through electrolysis (along with a bunch of other parts over about a week) - the filters are just resting on the mesh in the photo below -
    I had already broken them down
  • I had to run my trickle charger through an old battery to push any current
  • The rust isn't 100% gone in the photos below, but I threw them back in to finish them off
  • Glued the original mesh back in and replaced with UNI foam

I just added a new bullet style headlight bucket (trying to work out how to keep it off the brake line). I pulled the H4 bulb out of the light it came with and replaced it with a Native H4 from ADV Monster. I took these shots on Tuesday night before we left for my in-law's house for Thanksgiving. I noticed the light was bouncing around on my ride home - found out that the left mounting bolt worked its way out at some point on the ride. I am an idiot for not double checking how tight it was before I left.

I noticed that my left-side muffler was tilted before riding to work on Tuesday morning - found a crack in the mount on the muffler - had to adjust things a little to be able to ride that day. Not sure what I am going to do with it in the long run - but I am eyeing a Mac 2-into-1 exhaust.

And despite living in the Southeastern US - it has been dropping into the 30's. But I refuse to give up riding it just yet.

My right cylinder wasn't firing at all last week - which it had been running just fine previously. Plugs were good, fuel was flowing, had just replaced the coils (new condensor was added last Fall). After I pulled the carbs I found that the slide on my right carb was stuck.

I very gently and patiently got it out of the carb body - but I couldn't feel any burrs in the carb body (slide from left carb moved up and down in it just fine). I couldn't feel any burrs or see any deformation on the right slide either. But I grabbed some sand paper and worked it around the slide and few times and tried it again. After about 20 rounds of that, it is moving just like it should. I was terrified of taking metal off that would affect how the carb worked.

I had cleaned the carbs this past Fall using a boiling pot of lemon juice - worked like a charm, but had deal with the chalky-residue on my hands when working with them for a while.

I am still playing with my jetting and float heights - right now here is where things stand:

Primary: 68
Secondary: 108
Slow: 35
Float heights are set to 19mm

I was running rich at 100 secondary and 18mm - I have been working my way up to where I am now. Haven't pulled the plugs to see how things are lining up since adjusting to my current secondary/float height.

Great to see youre on it huck.

I rebuilt a fresh pair of carbs for mine. You may find some useful info here...
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=27417.msg885289#msg885289

I got my floats set up at 20.5mm w 100 secondaries. Ive ridden it a few times and she's performing well.
Didn't take the time to check it w the O2 sensors. Bad weather set in early here this year.

Check the orientation of the vent holes in the slides are on the filter side. If the slides get twisted around it can cause them to hammer. This will deform them and make them stick.

Thanks Trek - the diaphragm on the problem slide is an aftermarket unit (stock had a tear in it), which doesn't have the orientation tab. I made sure to get it in the right orientation when I buttoned it back up...hopefully it doesn't get twisted around in the carb.

I feel like I have been chasing my tail with jets and float heights.

I am about to break everything back down and see if I can't get the frame, swing arm, and triple blasted/painted before things warm back up. So it might be a while before I get back to my carbs.

I gotcha bookmarked.

Also, My bike was utterly un-ridable (rich) w the JBM diaphragms. I coughed up the $ for new Honda's. It ran great instantly.

I broke down the bike over the weekend - everything was straightforward - used lots of zip-loc bags to label everything. I hope to have the frame and a few other pieces sent to paint very soon.

I got a few new pieces in the mail right after Christmas, including a new stator from Rick's, new clutch springs & friction plates, and a couple of mini gauges. I will post some pics of all the new goodies after I get back to the house tonight. But here is a shot of the new MAC 2-into-1 exhaust and the Tarrozi clip-ons.

Nice bud, once adjusted to suit you, those Tarozzi bars should be a big improvemnt to your riding comfort over the clubmans.

huck_finn said:
I am keeping a running list of everything I have bought for the bike in this Google Sheet. The list includes who I bought it from, how much I paid, and most of them have a direct link to the item. 95% of what I put on the bike came from Sparck Moto, Common-Motor, Dime City Cycles, and Bike Bandit.
Starting to really understand that I don't have a clue what I am doing:

LOL, probably how 90% of people on this site started.
If you intend to keep bike, NEVER count up just how much it's cost, if you intend to sell it at some time, NEVER count up how much it's cost, you'll be crying when you see how much of a loss you have ;)

Back
Top Bottom