From Toronto to Sweden

ninja750

Hi there. Posting a picture of a sticker found underneath the licenceplate of my bike :eek: I knew it was originally from Canada - I live in Sweden and i think it was exported in its first year -73. Does anyone know about this company?? Just fun to know. Cheers
20070612207.jpg

WOW .. how cool is that. McBrides is now closed. Its amazing how things travel the world. How about a picture of the whole bike ?? ...... :D

McBrides is / was around the corner from my house. Used to walk there all the time for parts. They were in business for 97 years and shut down just recently unfortunately. They were in this neat very old building which had a bowling alley on the second floor at one time - the old wooden floors still had lane markings on them.

I'm trying to figure out how old that sticker is. The "TORONTO - 9" might be some sort of district identification or very possibly an old 'telephone number'. But if the bike is a 60's or 70's bike I would have thought the telephone number would be more current in its format and the sticker has a definite late 60's - 70's feel.

Let's see more pics!

Hey.... McBrides!!..I was at their closing sale!!..
http://www.mcbridecycle.com/

http://globecareers.workopolis.com/servlet/Content/fasttrack/20060908/MCBRIDE08?section=Production

hold on to that plate....
Its gonna be worth something soon...

I never noticed the bowling lane markings. Not only is the store gone but so is the building. The McBrides were in deep debt and sold off the land. Shortly after a wrecking crew demolished the beautiful old building and a condo will probably be built on the site.

yup its gone.gonna go steal me a mcbride brick from the demo.
my kid bought her first helmet there

Here´s the beauty... Althou it´s a very fine "untouched" bike i´m planning on "café it in some way.. I have ordered some parts from USA, cause its very hard to find here in Sweden.
DSCF1735.jpg

What a great starting point!
I'm sure Proteal / SuburbanRocker will give you lots of help with that project 8).

... And the rest of us will too ;D.

Ah - now I remember the picture. Looks all original, so it's likely that the bike was bought at McBrides back in the day and moved overseas at some point. Are there other indications it's a North American model? Is the speedo in MPH or KM/H?

Tintin said:
Ah - now I remember the picture. Looks all original, so it's likely that the bike was bought at McBrides back in the day and moved overseas at some point. Are there other indications it's a North American model? Is the speedo in MPH or KM/H?

It´s MPH. With some ugly homemade plastic screen with KM/H marked on it.... (to pass inspection)

back when i was a kid mc brides also had a bicycle store beside the motorcycle shop in later years the bicycle show room became the bmw show room till it closed, mc brides was the first and oldest motorcycle shop in Ontario, it is missed, use to hang out there as a kid drueling at the honda's. i also live around corner from where they where.

Had some kids tell me I had my bars on wrong the other day... luckily I happened to have another set in my garage to show them otherwise ;D

Kids.... That the hell do they know??!!...Most of them think a 1989 Gixxer 750 is vintage... ;D

locOleoN said:
Kids.... That the hell do they know??!!...Most of them think a 1989 Gixxer 750 is vintage... ;D
most of them think a gixxer is pretty, i'll take soild steel over plastic bodys anyday.

Nothing modern beats the allure, mystique and character of the older bikes. Then again, what the hell do I know? I ride a modern day sport bike! :'(

butterflymethane said:
Nothing modern beats the allure, mystique and character of the older bikes. Then again, what the hell do I know? I ride a modern day sport bike! :'(

Its Ok Darleney... we can slap a front fender license plate on your r6 and call it a day!!..

butterflymethane said:
when people going get it right there called "crotch rockets" :p

Back
Top Bottom