The Snowmobile (Or snowmachine for you northerners) Thread

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
If there is a thread on this topic, I surely haven't found it on here. Feel free to add your snowmobile pix and stories. I know it's not motorcycles, but we all know that motor heads don't always stick to just one genre of motorized shenanigans.

My moto-mindedness all started at a super young age (birth really) with snowmobiles. Dad and I collect, fix and restore vintage snowmobiles (mostly collecting if were honest) haha.

I will share some photos here. All of them I am pretty much getting off of my dads photobucket, and most of them are his.

We tend to try to find stuff that's "old, odd, heavy and slow"... kinda like us..

anyways here goes.

A couple old foxtracs that he had for a minute, but ended up selling to move on to greater things.
IMG_0335_zpsc4da97be.jpg

IMG_0337_zps7555702a.jpg

97 Polaris Storm 800 RMK crossing some open water
StormB.jpg

and what happens when you don't give er enough gas (different sled, same trip, same place I think)
Bretwatercross3.jpg

1963 Polaris Sno Traveler. Dad restored a few years back.

how he brought it home
sno-traveler3.jpg

after restoration
Sno-traveler8-5-011.jpg

1961 Polaris Sno Traveler (in waiting)
6-6-07.jpg

My Polaris 500 after letting a buddy ride it. ("The throttle stuck".... yeah yeah yeah..)
Levis500.jpg

An old all aluminum super snowbug, myself on it a few years back. wide track single ski.
LevionSnowbug2-14-07.jpg

Old Wheelhorse (yep like the mower)
100_2073.jpg

A pic of our club "the Boa Brothers" at a meet up in Naubinway in the up back in 09. Not all his, but they are all Boa Skis, which he/ we mainly collect.
NaubinwayTrip2009025.jpg

1979 skidoo elite. Twin track side by side seating. Am/fm radio and cb (Im not kidding) Pulled out of a garage up north with 201 miles on it

This is how we brought it home
1979EliteasfoundJune012.jpg

Cleaned up and me cruising around with my h.s. girlfriend with me.
Elite2-17-07.jpg

me WAY back in the day in our old raider twin track
raider1.jpg

How we Coyote hunt.
IMG_1399_zpsdeee57bb.jpg

Dads Limited Edition 1988 (I think) Indy 600 with a 650 triple in it, and his old 68 chevy c10... Id like to have them both back. I know where the indy is at right now and I keep trying to get the guy to sell it to me...
Indy600SE2.jpg

Indy600SE1.jpg

My dad as a kid in the 70's with his little brother on their first snowmobile, A Boa Ski

In the barn. Its a sickness when you start stacking them up

innovar sno coupe. It used a Polaris chassis with a fiberglass enclosed body

I guess that's all for now.

This thread sparked a youtube search for skilled riders having fun on fast sleds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYS8DFVyl84

well since were on youtube, here is an older video of dad putting that 63 sno traveler in the barn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdalzLON48s

Water skip fail a few years ago. Gotta love smokers though, pull the plugs, blow out the water and be on your merry way. Did blow all the light bulbs though.

https://youtu.be/F33nZpWGLvY
https://youtu.be/MCsJqpiVBOI

Do you know where a buddy can get a rear trunk for his 72' Sno-Jet Super Jet Wide Track? he's been looking for one for a while..

grcamna5 said:
Do you know where a buddy can get a rear trunk for his 72' Sno-Jet Super Jet Wide Track? he's been looking for one for a while..
I'll do some asking bud

hurco550 said:
I'll do some asking bud

Nate told me that Brian Sutton up in Minn.(he's the 'go-to guy' for Sno-jet stuff according to Nate..) told him that they're real hard to find; Sno-Jet's are the same color-match as a vintage Ford Maverick 'Grabber'.
He's even willing to have someone fabricate a repro. if they will.

ABCanuck said:
That twin track ski-doo is fantastic! Never seen one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dad just sold it a year or so ago. I loved that sled. Not many produced. It was bought by a wealthy family in the "blizzard of 78". They put a few miles on it then parked it. It really is a great machine. Liquid cooled twin with a fan and radiator. Comfy to ride and just a ton of fun. Dad sold it to a good friend of his that collected ski doo. He wanted it since dad got it. One of those that hurt a bit when it went to its new home, but glad to see the guy so excited to have it.

Ya and it went to a friend which is a plus. The oldest sled we've had around was a mid seventies TNT 440. Thing would actually cruise pretty well. We have new ones now, as in a '95 583 and '96 670. Still old enough no one wants to touch them work wise if we don't do it ourselves.

ABCanuck said:
Ya and it went to a friend which is a plus. The oldest sled we've had around was a mid seventies TNT 440. Thing would actually cruise pretty well. We have new ones now, as in a '95 583 and '96 670. Still old enough no one wants to touch them work wise if we don't do it ourselves.

Haha we actually don't mess to much with ski doo's. We are in that snowmobile club the "boa brothers" and they are very anti skidoo. Its actually just more for fun than anything, but if you get caught buying an old skidoo, you are in danger of receiving the "helmet of shame", which is an old skidoo helmet.

Dad ended up with an old 1976 t.n.t. 340 a few years back. Best I can remember the story, he heard of it through a friend of a friend. They bought it new to keep it at their cabin at the lake. One of the first few seasons they had it out they burnt a hole in a piston then pulled it inside and just let it sit. He got there to get it and it was in almost immaculate condition. It didn't run (obviously) but it almost looked like a BRAND NEW sled. He was then shocked to hear the owners say "are you sure we cant give you some money to haul it away?"

He ended up trading it for an old john deere spitfire.

grcamna5 said:
That one's a 'Gem' 8) hurco.

Thanks! I asked about the super jet trunk. He recommended asking around at vintagesleds.com which is the snowmobile equivalent of DTT

One of my favorite old snowmobiles.
https://youtu.be/Fo31_3UzTTY

That's the first time I saw one of those type of 'Snow-Auger' looking type machines;the more those threaded 'Drums' spin they kind of 'screw' the machine forward;I wonder if it works in reverse also? Do you think it requires that heavy of a machine to make that design work well ?

edit: where was that machine from? MN. ?

Levi, I hope your dad is keeping his eyes open to find one of those! ;D

Video uploaded sideways, but I got the old Johnson rotary (wankel) out today for the first time since last year. Started second pull. First sled I ever bought when I was 13 or so.
https://youtu.be/i6lvBc3-6AA

Back
Top Bottom