Naked Goldwing Question

TJGM

Of Wild Kind...
Why google why you can ask DTT ?

I've seen 2 pretty neat naked Goldwings this week. Did Honda ever sell a naked GL or did someone have to take all the armour off ?

Cheers,
~T

The 'Wing was essentially a naked muscle bike from its debut in 1974 (GL1000) until about 1982 (GL1100). Anyone can feel free to corrwct me if im wrong. During those early years, if a GoldWing had a fairing and luggage, it was added on aftermarket.

I think it was the first 4 years they were a naked bike and after that there was the option of both. But same as Cookie, I am no expert.

first year 1200s there was a standard model available that was 1984 that was that last naked wing

the gl1000 was first released in 75 it continued till 1980 when the gl1100 was released

that continued till 1984 when the 1200 was released

Thanks guys, I was just curious. Must be getting old, I don't find them nearly as ugly as I use to.

~T

LOL I have a 79 that when offered to me I said pass as it was all farkled up with Vetter everything. Not a fan, but I googled 79 Goldwing and saw what they are supposed to look like and changed my mine. Stripped her back to the way Honda made her and love her now. Of course she has been re-done again because of the deer incident. Has an 1100 front end, seat and a few other bits from 1980 LOL.

i love them been riding gold wings since they came out now my 42 year of them

Love mine... great bike for touring

000e63d994e62d07ba4fa8a72073749f.jpg

Tim says I have a memory like an elephant (that's a compliment, right?) and I have a few recollections about the '75 Goldwings.
The Goldwing was originally designed as the replacement for the CB750 Honda and was to be the top of the line Honda Sport Bike, so no bags, no windshield, no touring pegs or backrests.
Apparently, there was such a rebellion among the first dealers and distributors who saw the prototype 'Wings, that Honda upper management was forced to continue the SOHC 750 until '79, when the DOHC 750's came out.
By that time, it was becoming obvious to even Honda that the Goldwing was a superb touring bike and as a sport bike, "not so much" and by the '80's, had started to come out with their own accessories and then later, made most of them basic to the bike.
That didn't stop certain Honda factions from trying to prove the Leadwing could hustle, though. Nikko Bakker (in Holland and still in business) built an endurance racer for Honda Europe in '76 or '77; special frame and suspension, wheels, bodywork, heavily breathed on motor - in essence, a purpose-built race bike powered by the flat four. I had a photo of the bike at Bol'd'Or, cranked over and just touching the right side cam cover, going through a corner. The cambelt cover on the front of the motor was missing - I found out later that the belts overheated at racing rpm's and removing the cover helped a lot.
Neat bike, would like to use the drivetrain from one in a Morgan-style 3 wheeler, but could never imagine trying to hustle one through a corner with clip-ons.
Pat

As with most things in this day and age, there is a web forum devoted to them:
https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

Lots of good info there!

Back
Top Bottom