Enduro GR- break her down for parts.......

Re: Dirty GR progress

Thanks Mike- you know when it's done you're more than welcome to swing a leg over it.

+1 to what was said here about the trail wings. The short bit of research I did pointed in that direction as well.

I don't know if they got their reputation because the tread "looks" aggressive and people are expecting performance to match? Either way, there are very few options for a 16" tire- easiest thing for me is to lace in an 18" tire.

So.......Ben. When are you starting a build thread on a dual sport GS500? You know you want to!

Big Rich said:
I don't know if they got their reputation because the tread "looks" aggressive and people are expecting performance to match? Either way, there are very few options for a 16" tire- easiest thing for me is to lace in an 18" tire.

So.......Ben. When are you starting a build thread on a dual sport GS500? You know you want to!

I agree about trying to lace up an 18.I'm not sure how big of a job that will be because I am not familiar with the spoke pattern.I have always liked the 21/18 wheel combo.

Well,I'm not to sure about the DS GS.lol I got one that I am going to get running so I can buy a DS.The other one has a bent rear sub frame and tail section.I don't have a title for it,but I think I am going to try and get one.Ahhh crud.That reminds me.I forgot to send my info to diesel420 for my title on the one I'm selling.Anyway.I have another pristine frame that I was going to build into s GS trike.I haven't let much info out on it yet.I am hoping that my rear axle set up will be cheaper than the currently available ones with better parts availability for repairs.That's all the info I will leak about the trike rear axle.

Lacing wheels is actually a LOT easier than people think. If you leave the hub out and put 1 spoke and nipple in the rim, just push the nipple in from the tire side. With pressure on it, it points the spoke exactly where it will be on the hub. And on 36 spoke wheels (any, actually) it's just a repetition the entire way around. And if you do it wrong, you'll find out long before all the spokes are in.

A GS trike, huh? That sounds very very interesting. Be sure to document it for us?

I warn you... I occasionally develop a thing for trikes... dunno why... but yes you must write it up with lots and lots of pics :p

Big Rich said:
Lacing wheels is actually a LOT easier than people think. If you leave the hub out and put 1 spoke and nipple in the rim, just push the nipple in from the tire side. With pressure on it, it points the spoke exactly where it will be on the hub. And on 36 spoke wheels (any, actually) it's just a repetition the entire way around. And if you do it wrong, you'll find out long before all the spokes are in.

A GS trike, huh? That sounds very very interesting. Be sure to document it for us?

I have laced a few bicycle wheels and a few smaller dirt bike wheels.I must confess that I know there are different patterns but didn't know if they change as rim or hub size increases.I think the lacing pattern I have done is called a three over pattern.Not sure on that.Been a while.

peteGS said:
I warn you... I occasionally develop a thing for trikes... dunno why... but yes you must write it up with lots and lots of pics :p

I gotta keep my trade secrets a secret.I'll post pics if I decide I'm 100% sure I wanna take on the project.I have all the parts sooooooo maybe.Well 90% of them anyway.

Re: Dirty GR- back end all together

So the smaller parts I needed for the swinger/brake came in the other day. Everything is greased, mounted, painted, and basically finger tight. Got the chain installed and back brake all hooked up:

2011-08-20_08-56-15_604.jpg

I love all that space in there:
2011-08-20_08-57-06_770.jpg

And the super-adjustable brake linkage courtesy of Kanticoy:
2011-08-20_08-57-38_953.jpg

What you see is what you get buddy. Loud pipes save lives, right?

Kidding. I have a mid pipe and a reverse cone mega for each side with the original baffles installed. When I get the seat done, I will ask Jim to weld up the exhaust for me too.

Unless you would be willing to trade something for your scrambler pipes.......

Big Rich said:
What you see is what you get buddy. Loud pipes save lives, right?

Kidding. I have a mid pipe and a reverse cone mega for each side with the original baffles installed. When I get the seat done, I will ask Jim to weld up the exhaust for me too.

Cool! Reverse mega's are nice, a great compliment to bikes of this style/era :D Should look great!

Unless you would be willing to trade something for your scrambler pipes.......

Hahahahahahahaaha you're a funny man Rich! :p

However I do know someone who can make you a set... I'm sure it wouldn't cost *too* much to ship your GR over to him... :eek:

Damn man, that girl looks mean! I Freakin love it!!!!!!!

Oops! Forgot to update this. My Kenda front tire came on today so I got it mounted up.

photobucket-4216-1315427966382.jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to take it up to get the seat done. Told Jim to take hos time and put it on his back burner though. And once the riding season is over, i'll be swapping the rear wheels on the GR's. Once this bike has an 18" hoop in back, i'll get the other Kenda mounted.

Nice Rich, if only they made them in my 450's size...

Good to see some progress, even if it's only a little bit :D

This is a crazy awesome project. Too bad it won't be road legal, or will it? I would ride that to Labrador it would friggin rock. Looks like the ultamite adventure/Zombie killer machine. Love it Rich, keep up the great work!

Hey Rich, i was just checking some of the pics and have you thought about any bash plate for the undercarriage. The shock mount and oil pan are a bit low and exposed? Not sure how hard you will ride her off road but might want to fab up some protection so you don't get stranded.

Back
Top Bottom